Jump to topic:

Apple: an Evil Cult?

mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 9:56:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A quick Google search will tell you everything about Apple's evilness.

This came to me after seeing how many regular, non-techy people were hyped up over the iOS 7 update.

I mean seriously, they use a proprietary connector while every other mobile device in existence uses mini USB.

Apple sucks. Fight me.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 10:23:33 AM
Their products are well made and designed to the point of feeling magical, in my opinion..
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 11:31:19 AM
It's okay that you feel frustrated or inferior for not being a Chosen One. Totally understandable. ;)
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 1:31:13 PM
macs suck at gaming and I mean they really suck
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 2:32:36 PM
If the definition of evil is spontaneously changed to "Constantly forcing people to change itunes to the default player and including 5.7 million words in a terms of service statement" Then yes apple would be evil.
Turn around, go back.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:05:50 AM
At 9/21/2013 1:31:13 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Maybe you can... hurr durr.... actually use a system designed for gaming when you game? I don't know... maybe a PS3 or Xbox?

Computer gamers piss me off so much. Computers are not designed for games (except Alienware- but only rich idiots buy them).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:19:31 AM

I genuinely think they did that partially because gaming is immoral.. as part of an overall plan to improve the world, lol. Maybe.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:29:49 AM
At 9/22/2013 11:21:27 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
sdavio, what is with those posts?

Huh?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:41:01 AM
At 9/22/2013 11:05:50 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Maybe you can... hurr durr.... actually use a system designed for gaming when you game? I don't know... maybe a PS3 or Xbox?

Computer gamers piss me off so much. Computers are not designed for games (except Alienware- but only rich idiots buy them).

dumb@ss I built my computer and it can run just as good as most alienware. it cost only $1100
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:41:37 AM
At 9/22/2013 11:19:31 AM, sdavio wrote:

I genuinely think they did that partially because gaming is immoral.. as part of an overall plan to improve the world, lol. Maybe.

how the fvck is gaming immoral
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:49:21 AM
At 9/22/2013 11:41:37 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

1. It serves as an outlet for the real desire to 'progress'; ie, it invents some goal, (which does not hold any real purpose,) and when you complete it, it exchanges that goal for a more difficult one, until forever, essentially. In absence of games, this effort would be used on actual achievement.

2. It has serious potential to be addictive, in my opinion.

3. It is antagonistic to peace; this loop of challenge leads to seeing the world as a constant 'fight', where anger or power is the solution to any problem.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:53:28 AM
At 9/22/2013 11:49:21 AM, sdavio wrote:

1. It serves as an outlet for the real desire to 'progress'; ie, it invents some goal, (which does not hold any real purpose,) and when you complete it, it exchanges that goal for a more difficult one, until forever, essentially. In absence of games, this effort would be used on actual achievement.

video games are a form of leisure people can work all day everyday. its a load of stress even for some that love their job. and you want to talk about achievement. you really think videogames are easy. sure it might not be physical but there are games that are truly brain bending and could be considered a mental achievement.

depends on the person

3. It is antagonistic to peace; this loop of challenge leads to seeing the world as a constant 'fight', where anger or power is the solution to any problem.

Videogames...aren't...real. you aren't supposed to mix real and fake. sure some people are affected by them but its very miniscule
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 12:02:07 PM
I don't think they're always bad, but I do think they can be very negative. Kinda like sugary food, for instance. Hence why Apple decided to leave them out, favoring creative stuff, nice design etc.. thinking those things are more philosophically sound. Steve Jobs talked a lot about focusing on key stuff, rather than spreading thin to 'do everything.' Apple is famous for leaving behind technologies which they did not see as 'moral' or 'the future', I think.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 12:05:08 PM
At 9/22/2013 12:02:07 PM, sdavio wrote:
I don't think they're always bad, but I do think they can be very negative. Kinda like sugary food, for instance. Hence why Apple decided to leave them out, favoring creative stuff, nice design etc.. thinking those things are more philosophically sound. Steve Jobs talked a lot about focusing on key stuff, rather than spreading thin to 'do everything.' Apple is famous for leaving behind technologies which they did not see as 'moral' or 'the future', I think.

I take offense to that. you see I am planning to interactive design and game development and the people who make the backgrounds and objects in game are twice as creative as most people out there.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 12:06:34 PM

Prove it.

Also, the stereotypical conception of games as reward machines has/is changing VERY rapidly. Yes, the days of Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros. were simply games about progress, but if you look at what games are today, they're anything but: they're works of fiction who's point is to convey thematic ideas and tell stories.

And, while technically wanting to continue a story is a want for progress, to maintain this point you'd also have to maintain that fiction in general is immoral, and that's an EXTREMELY tenuous claim.

As does almost any pleasurable activity.

How well-versed are you in the video game community/industry/video games in general?

Here's the thing:

1) Video games are works of FICTION, and thus have all the associated literary qualities: theme, subtext, etc. Just because a game might be framed in a way that violence consists of much of the gameplay (eg, COD), doesn't mean that the game is suggesting that the world is framed in such a way.

2) You do realize that some of the most popular games are ones that are creative in nature, not destructive, right? Further, these games are HIGHLY collaborative in nature. Look at Minecraft, look at LittleBigPlanet. Those two are HARDLY driven by conflict.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 12:20:31 PM
At 9/22/2013 12:06:34 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Prove it.

Also, the stereotypical conception of games as reward machines has/is changing VERY rapidly. Yes, the days of Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros. were simply games about progress, but if you look at what games are today, they're anything but: they're works of fiction who's point is to convey thematic ideas and tell stories.

And, while technically wanting to continue a story is a want for progress, to maintain this point you'd also have to maintain that fiction in general is immoral, and that's an EXTREMELY tenuous claim.

I guess it's all about definitions, really. I mean, we could even call Facebook a video game which is not about progression. So my point is not that all 'video games' are 100% immoral, but that I see a big problem, philosophically, with a large majority of the games out there.. and I can observe it's effects in gamers, I think.

As does almost any pleasurable activity.

Sure, it's about degrees I guess. Most people consider gambling a seriously negative activity because it's considerably addictive. Remove the money aspect from gambling and it becomes video games - is it that big of a difference?

There's also the consumerism aspect of it - like right now I feel like I really want to play GTAV, for instance, and I'm not even sure why. It's a never ending thing - how people always want to buy the newest gaming stuff. I notice in gaming stores - wait like, a month or something after a game is released here and the price halves. That seems to me like it must indicate something within the mindset of gamers.. I'm not even sure that bit is immoral, but it does seem interesting.

How well-versed are you in the video game community/industry/video games in general?

Here's the thing:

1) Video games are works of FICTION, and thus have all the associated literary qualities: theme, subtext, etc. Just because a game might be framed in a way that violence consists of much of the gameplay (eg, COD), doesn't mean that the game is suggesting that the world is framed in such a way.

2) You do realize that some of the most popular games are ones that are creative in nature, not destructive, right? Further, these games are HIGHLY collaborative in nature. Look at Minecraft, look at LittleBigPlanet. Those two are HARDLY driven by conflict.

They are driven by collection and progression. Perhaps not the 'build' aspect of LBP, which is a cool thing, I think.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 4:36:55 PM
At 9/22/2013 11:41:01 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

dumb@ss I built my computer and it can run just as good as most alienware. it cost only $1100

Good for you. Do you want a cookie for being a teenage rebel that thinks that he is soooooo smart because he managed to build a computer?

Pathetic.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:36:31 AM

Yeah, people should never use things for stuff they aren't designed for. For instance, computers were originally designed to break codes. So, using them for anything else is stupid. Wait, but that makes you the idiot Knuckle!
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:14:23 AM

Even if they are works of fiction, it is still contributing to the mass normalization and trivialization of violence, thus making it a part of the violence culture we live in today.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 2:26:35 PM
Maybe you can... hurr durr.... actually use a system designed for gaming when you game?
Every modern computer can play games to an extent. Systems "designed for gaming" are same kinds with just better hardware.

I don't know... maybe a PS3 or Xbox?
Also stuffed together. They happen to handle games and graphics well because the games tend to be designed for them - not vice versa.

Computer gamers piss me off so much.
Anything that doesn't? Hmm.

Computers are not designed for games (except Alienware- but only rich idiots buy them).
Alienware PC's are collections of high-end hardware. Might as well assemble my own and for a cheaper price. Still designed for games.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 5:38:09 PM
At 9/23/2013 11:14:23 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Even if they are works of fiction, it is still contributing to the mass normalization and trivialization of violence, thus making it a part of the violence culture we live in today.

Nature does that too. You going to ban biology and ecology? Humans need to learn to deal with exposure to violence and trauma, as a society.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:33:46 PM
At 9/23/2013 5:38:09 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
At 9/23/2013 11:14:23 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Nature does that too. You going to ban biology and ecology? Humans need to learn to deal with exposure to violence and trauma, as a society.

Did I say that it should be banned?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:44:52 PM
Are people too poor to buy a PS3 or Xbox? I understand using a computer for games like WoW or Minecraft (though I think they're coming out with a console version soon). But using the pc for battlefield or skyrim is idiotic.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 1:29:06 AM

Do you even know what a video game or a computer is?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 2:33:55 AM
At 9/23/2013 10:44:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Are people too poor to buy a PS3 or Xbox? I understand using a computer for games like WoW or Minecraft (though I think they're coming out with a console version soon). But using the pc for battlefield or skyrim is idiotic.

Some people just prefer to play games on their computer I suppose. The games can be more advanced but you will need the proper system for it. For games I specifically use a console as I prefer a system dedicated for it, and I like playing games on my TV. I also prefer to use my computer nearly exclusively for productivity and don't generally want to use it for games.

Also I've had Minecraft on my xbox360 for months now. After a dozen updates it's now essentially the same as the PC version (aside from scale and mods).

As for the thread topic, I've used apple products since I was around 7 years old. I have to use a PC for some things, but at home when I have a choice, I'll always use my Mac. I find everything about it to be better for what I need, and the only downside is obviously the initial cost of the computer itself. Otherwise, I have had very few problems and I don't imagine converting to a PC user any time soon.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 3:21:32 AM
At 9/24/2013 2:33:55 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
For games I specifically use a console as I prefer a system dedicated for it

Why?

and I like playing games on my TV.

You can output PC video to a TV.

I also prefer to use my computer nearly exclusively for productivity and don't generally want to use it for games.

Why not?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 11:24:24 AM
At 9/24/2013 3:21:32 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Why?

WHY? WHY? There are specific consoles made for that.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 2:33:49 PM
At 9/24/2013 11:24:24 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Why?

And my computer can do it better. So what?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 4:44:03 PM
At 9/24/2013 2:33:49 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 9/24/2013 11:24:24 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Why?

And my computer can do it better. So what?

No. Your computer cannot play Call of Duty better than a PS3 or Xbox. That's just idiotic.