Jump to topic:

One drop rule, bulls--t or correct?

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 5:10:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For me it's silly. I still don't think Germans, Italians or French or Irish are as white as the English, Danes, or Swedes.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 12:59:35 AM
At 10/10/2013 5:10:44 PM, Adam2 wrote:
For me it's silly. I still don't think Germans, Italians or French or Irish are as white as the English, Danes, or Swedes.

Race is a very imprecise concept anyway. If the goal is to separate people into all these broad categories based on physical traits, then the whole idea gets complicated really fast. The one drop rule thing is an example of that. There are no physical traits that separate an "octaroon" from a German, for example.

Besides, there are more traits that different people have then just skin color. Roma and Bengalese are "white" (Aryan, Caucasian) but they are often very dark complected. (Like me!) What about Pygmies? Don't they have enough physical differences to qualify as a "race?"

A simpler concept might be to only separate people into races for anthropological and genealogical reasons, and not cultural and ethnic reasons. I think this just starts trouble.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 9:02:43 AM
At 10/11/2013 12:59:35 AM, Beverlee wrote:

Race is a very imprecise concept anyway. If the goal is to separate people into all these broad categories based on physical traits, then the whole idea gets complicated really fast. The one drop rule thing is an example of that. There are no physical traits that separate an "octaroon" from a German, for example.

Besides, there are more traits that different people have then just skin color. Roma and Bengalese are "white" (Aryan, Caucasian) but they are often very dark complected. (Like me!) What about Pygmies? Don't they have enough physical differences to qualify as a "race?"

A simpler concept might be to only separate people into races for anthropological and genealogical reasons, and not cultural and ethnic reasons. I think this just starts trouble.

Good point! I still think technically Germans, Italians, French, Irish, and even Swedes to a certain extent are darker than the English, Danish Dutch. Bigger eyes too. lol Latin women are cute. I know cause I'm Puerto Rican. lol Slanted eyes are beautiful but big eyes are way more cuter.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:21:18 AM
At 10/11/2013 9:02:43 AM, Adam2 wrote:

Good point! I still think technically Germans, Italians, French, Irish, and even Swedes to a certain extent are darker than the English, Danish Dutch. Bigger eyes too. lol Latin women are cute. I know cause I'm Puerto Rican. lol Slanted eyes are beautiful but big eyes are way more cuter.

Aryan is not white. This is why I say Hitler was not about white supremacy. He admired Indian culture. He couldn't have been too racist if he loved Indian culture and took an Indian symbol and adopted it as his own.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:24:47 AM
At 10/11/2013 10:21:18 AM, Adam2 wrote:

Aryan is not white. This is why I say Hitler was not about white supremacy. He admired Indian culture. He couldn't have been too racist if he loved Indian culture and took an Indian symbol and adopted it as his own.

I can love Indians and Americans, and yet still be racist if I hate everybody else.

Stop with your Hitler apologetics.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 2:08:40 PM
At 10/11/2013 10:24:47 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

I can love Indians and Americans, and yet still be racist if I hate everybody else.

That fact that he's racist is irrelevant. He was not a white supremacist. That's the main point I'm hating. Yes, you can be racist against Jews, per say, but that don't make you a white supremacist. As a matter of fact most haters of Jews are the opposite of white supremacists, since the countries that are white supremacist are usually the biggest Israel allies, unfortunately (England, Denmark, etc).
Aryan is Indian.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 2:10:33 PM
At 10/11/2013 10:24:47 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Main point I'm making sorry.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 4:47:22 PM

Idk, they all seem pretty different.

But, then again, they only look somewhat different and otherwise, are different culturally. One could say the same thing about North vs. South Koreans. It's all meh. Economic classifications are more relevant -- first, second, and third world, in other words.
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 8:28:42 PM
It looks like you're against racial categories, period, not just the way the one drop rule puts people into them. As far as the racism re-enactment society you're trying to start is concerned, race should be conceived as more of an orientation, with the English at one extreme and Sub-Saharan Africans at the other.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 8:43:24 PM

I would encourage you to explore the possibility that you might be ignorant in this aspect of anthropology.
Tsar of DDO
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 9:37:47 PM
At 10/13/2013 8:43:24 PM, YYW wrote:

I would encourage you to explore the possibility that you might be ignorant in this aspect of anthropology.

Hey listen Germans obviously have Slavic and Roman ancestry
And Italians, French and Irish have some Briton/Roman ancestry