Jump to topic:

The Ups and downs of Western Culture

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 4:32:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
After thinking that Culture was beginning to dissipate in the West with the rise of the idea that everyone should make up his own beliefs, I came to the conclusion that this would still be a culture.

What are some things you like/dislike about our Culture?

For me, one of the things I dislike is how much society conforms to the media instead of to reason. One of the things I do like about Australian culture is how much it is made up of other cultures. Since Australia is 99.9% made up of immigrants, with the natives nearly driven to extinction, all sorts of cultures have made their way over from Europe, Asia and Oceania. I came from Oceania and its been fascinating to see all these backgrounds mingle. The resulting culture has been an organised mess. New Immigrants mix their cultural norms with older Australian norms, and the older norms gradually evolve as new generations from different places come in. I'm curious to see where this country will be in 50 years time.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 4:47:52 AM
I dislike the dumb, that idea that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and to have those beliefs respected.

I dislike the conventional religions, I dislike capitalism, I dislike the idea that to unite would be to destroy culture. I dislike the education system, which is severely lacking in my opinion, giving over the reigns to religion where it matters most.

I dislike idiots, toilet humour and people who have buried themselves in soaps, thinking initially that they would figure out their families and those around them, but continuing absentmindedly just for that good feeling, that sense of being productive, they get from watching them. I dislike when you tell a person they should stop smoking and they'll reply "But I'm gonna die anyway" but still refuse to acknowledge that they're smoking in fear of death.

I dislike people who try to laugh off the bad, as if that's enough control to have over it, and let the bad continue. I really f*cking dislike religion.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 4:59:23 AM
Don't be dumb, bro. Just think for one moment what it would mean to not question anyone's beliefs.

What if there was this dude who thought that it was his purpose to end the world... and nobody care?
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 12:25:03 PM
Doctuir, you can respect someone's beliefs and recognize that we all should be entitled to our own beliefs while still telling that person how idiotic their beliefs are.