Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Bill O'Reilly or Hannity

imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 2:42:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Dont mind adam, hes just spamming
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mysterious_Stranger
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 3:00:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 2:42:38 PM, imabench wrote:
Dont mind adam, hes just spamming

Make it stop, use your powers for good.
Turn around, go back.
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 3:27:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 3:00:43 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
At 10/14/2013 2:42:38 PM, imabench wrote:
Dont mind adam, hes just spamming

Make it stop, use your powers for good.

Just call him an idiot a few times and tell him that spamming questions doesn't make him popular on here. The reason he's spamming topics is probably because he thinks it will make him be cool on here (idiotic I know)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 3:34:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 2:38:42 PM, Adam2 wrote:
Which is better and why?

O'Reilly. He's a smart guy, and even though I disagree with a great deal of what he says, his perspective is far more insightful on his worst day than Hannity is on his best. O'Reilly is almost a practical, conservative public intellectual in a number of ways and I respect what he's put out. Hannity, on the other hand, is a nutter. I thought for a long time that Hannity was just willfully catering to the lowest common denominator of republican populism, but the reality is (as is evident when he has to think on his feet) that Hannity is just stupid. He's obnoxious and crass, but Hannity's popularity comes from the fact that he doesn't out-class his audience. O'Reilly does, but O'Reilly occupies a different place in people's minds than Hannity. Not that it matters, but if I had to guess, I would guess that O'Reilly's IQ is something around 135-139. Hannity is probably around 109-114.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 4:05:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 3:34:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/14/2013 2:38:42 PM, Adam2 wrote:
Which is better and why?

O'Reilly. He's a smart guy, and even though I disagree with a great deal of what he says, his perspective is far more insightful on his worst day than Hannity is on his best. O'Reilly is almost a practical, conservative public intellectual in a number of ways and I respect what he's put out. Hannity, on the other hand, is a nutter. I thought for a long time that Hannity was just willfully catering to the lowest common denominator of republican populism, but the reality is (as is evident when he has to think on his feet) that Hannity is just stupid. He's obnoxious and crass, but Hannity's popularity comes from the fact that he doesn't out-class his audience. O'Reilly does, but O'Reilly occupies a different place in people's minds than Hannity. Not that it matters, but if I had to guess, I would guess that O'Reilly's IQ is something around 135-139. Hannity is probably around 109-114.

Mr. "Tide goes in, Tide goes out, you can't explain that"? Not to mention Mr. "F$** it we'll do it live"? I don't necessarily doubt he's smart--I think, actually, that he's a fundamentally dishonest panderer. Hannity may be crazier (and I will admit, O'Reilly has had a FEW moments of lucidity), but I've felt (and I could be wrong) that Hannity's is a more genuine crazy.

One claims "Christianity isn't a religion"--when I know he knows he's full of crap and is only hoping his audience mindlessly cheers. The other says Obama "grew up in Kenya"--and I believe he's just nuts. I respect honest nuts more than dishonest babble.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 5:16:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 4:05:42 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/14/2013 3:34:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/14/2013 2:38:42 PM, Adam2 wrote:
Which is better and why?

O'Reilly. He's a smart guy, and even though I disagree with a great deal of what he says, his perspective is far more insightful on his worst day than Hannity is on his best. O'Reilly is almost a practical, conservative public intellectual in a number of ways and I respect what he's put out. Hannity, on the other hand, is a nutter. I thought for a long time that Hannity was just willfully catering to the lowest common denominator of republican populism, but the reality is (as is evident when he has to think on his feet) that Hannity is just stupid. He's obnoxious and crass, but Hannity's popularity comes from the fact that he doesn't out-class his audience. O'Reilly does, but O'Reilly occupies a different place in people's minds than Hannity. Not that it matters, but if I had to guess, I would guess that O'Reilly's IQ is something around 135-139. Hannity is probably around 109-114.

Mr. "Tide goes in, Tide goes out, you can't explain that"? Not to mention Mr. "F$** it we'll do it live"? I don't necessarily doubt he's smart--I think, actually, that he's a fundamentally dishonest panderer. Hannity may be crazier (and I will admit, O'Reilly has had a FEW moments of lucidity), but I've felt (and I could be wrong) that Hannity's is a more genuine crazy.

One claims "Christianity isn't a religion"--when I know he knows he's full of crap and is only hoping his audience mindlessly cheers. The other says Obama "grew up in Kenya"--and I believe he's just nuts. I respect honest nuts more than dishonest babble.

Both play to their audiences... no doubt about that.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 10:46:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
O'reilly is more interesting, smart, engaging, respectful - to name a few. The more I attempt to like Hannity, the more he gets dull and dumb in my eyes. He's one type to rarely concede to an argument, or say things from different perspectives. O'reilly has his moments of nonsense, which should be expected from someone who specializes in certain topics, and barely does research on some that have nothing to do with his show or public pursuits.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 10:48:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 10:46:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
O'reilly is more interesting, smart, engaging, respectful - to name a few. The more I attempt to like Hannity, the more he gets dull and dumb in my eyes. He's one type to rarely concede to an argument, or say things from different perspectives. O'reilly has his moments of nonsense, which should be expected from someone who specializes in certain topics, and barely does research on some that have nothing to do with his show or public pursuits.

I wouldn't call O'Reilly "respectful", generally...at least, not to his guests if he disagrees with them, in what I've seen.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 10:50:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 10:48:22 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/14/2013 10:46:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
O'reilly is more interesting, smart, engaging, respectful - to name a few. The more I attempt to like Hannity, the more he gets dull and dumb in my eyes. He's one type to rarely concede to an argument, or say things from different perspectives. O'reilly has his moments of nonsense, which should be expected from someone who specializes in certain topics, and barely does research on some that have nothing to do with his show or public pursuits.

I wouldn't call O'Reilly "respectful", generally...at least, not to his guests if he disagrees with them, in what I've seen.
Some selected moments aren't his best, but he does well nonetheless. I nonetheless don't think one-on-one discussions are the most important when it comes to showing respect.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 10:53:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 10:50:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 10/14/2013 10:48:22 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/14/2013 10:46:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
O'reilly is more interesting, smart, engaging, respectful - to name a few. The more I attempt to like Hannity, the more he gets dull and dumb in my eyes. He's one type to rarely concede to an argument, or say things from different perspectives. O'reilly has his moments of nonsense, which should be expected from someone who specializes in certain topics, and barely does research on some that have nothing to do with his show or public pursuits.

I wouldn't call O'Reilly "respectful", generally...at least, not to his guests if he disagrees with them, in what I've seen.
Some selected moments aren't his best, but he does well nonetheless. I nonetheless don't think one-on-one discussions are the most important when it comes to showing respect.

(emphasis mine)

I would generally strongly disagree, but regardless, what do you consider the most important, and how has OReilly shown that?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:05:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 10:53:05 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/14/2013 10:50:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 10/14/2013 10:48:22 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/14/2013 10:46:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
O'reilly is more interesting, smart, engaging, respectful - to name a few. The more I attempt to like Hannity, the more he gets dull and dumb in my eyes. He's one type to rarely concede to an argument, or say things from different perspectives. O'reilly has his moments of nonsense, which should be expected from someone who specializes in certain topics, and barely does research on some that have nothing to do with his show or public pursuits.

I wouldn't call O'Reilly "respectful", generally...at least, not to his guests if he disagrees with them, in what I've seen.
Some selected moments aren't his best, but he does well nonetheless. I nonetheless don't think one-on-one discussions are the most important when it comes to showing respect.

(emphasis mine)

I would generally strongly disagree, but regardless, what do you consider the most important, and how has OReilly shown that?
Not able to tell. I take a person's general attitude toward people to determine his level of respect. From my observation, O'Reilly shows it by the way he argues (Talking Points), lets others share their opinions, etc.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:31:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not a Hannity fan. I agree with his bottom line on most issues, but he's boringly dogmatic and repetitive.

O'Reilly is really good at putting together programs that cover a spectrum of interesting issues. He brings up some important issues overlooked by others. For example, he's been on the case of civil rights leaders who ignore the dissolution of Black families as a cause of poverty and crime.

He's got his fair share of unjustifiable beliefs, but that doesn't bother me. What I'm looking for is interesting material. By contrast, for example, Rachel Maddow rarely says anything remotely interesting.

BTW, Fox recently signed George Will (from ABC). He's one of the best debaters on television. With Karl Rove and Charles Krauthammer, Fox has the best political analysts in the business. Fox also signed media analyst Howard Kurtz from CNN. I think Kurtz is fair, and does a good job of media coverage.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 6:01:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Rachael Maddow is... I can't even think of a single adjective to encompass the peculiarities of her personality. She is very strange, and I think that the way she advances her perspective often fails to advance her cause with any who disagree with her, largely because she has a very alienating personality... thusly, her show is quite unappealing. I'll leave it at that.
Tsar of DDO
Adam2
Posts: 1,024
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 9:19:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 6:01:33 AM, YYW wrote:
Rachael Maddow is... I can't even think of a single adjective to encompass the peculiarities of her personality. She is very strange, and I think that the way she advances her perspective often fails to advance her cause with any who disagree with her, largely because she has a very alienating personality... thusly, her show is quite unappealing. I'll leave it at that.

I think she's cool, even if her views might not always be the best
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 8:28:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 9:19:40 AM, Adam2 wrote:
At 10/15/2013 6:01:33 AM, YYW wrote:
Rachael Maddow is... I can't even think of a single adjective to encompass the peculiarities of her personality. She is very strange, and I think that the way she advances her perspective often fails to advance her cause with any who disagree with her, largely because she has a very alienating personality... thusly, her show is quite unappealing. I'll leave it at that.

I think she's cool, even if her views might not always be the best

I think she's a disgrace to liberalism...
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 8:39:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I usually don't watch any of the major news networks. However, I've been hanging out a lot with someone who happens to have the news on at his house at all hours day and night. O'reilly is someone who I don't particularly like (putting it lightly). However, compared to the other fellow, he's miles ahead. On the other hand, everything Hannity says is cringeworthy. And more than that, his hair both confused and infuriated me.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Adam2
Posts: 1,024
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 8:48:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 8:28:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/15/2013 9:19:40 AM, Adam2 wrote:
At 10/15/2013 6:01:33 AM, YYW wrote:
Rachael Maddow is... I can't even think of a single adjective to encompass the peculiarities of her personality. She is very strange, and I think that the way she advances her perspective often fails to advance her cause with any who disagree with her, largely because she has a very alienating personality... thusly, her show is quite unappealing. I'll leave it at that.

I think she's cool, even if her views might not always be the best

I think she's a disgrace to liberalism...

Still she ain't a bad person from what I can tell.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 9:12:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 8:48:11 PM, Adam2 wrote:
At 10/15/2013 8:28:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/15/2013 9:19:40 AM, Adam2 wrote:
At 10/15/2013 6:01:33 AM, YYW wrote:
Rachael Maddow is... I can't even think of a single adjective to encompass the peculiarities of her personality. She is very strange, and I think that the way she advances her perspective often fails to advance her cause with any who disagree with her, largely because she has a very alienating personality... thusly, her show is quite unappealing. I'll leave it at that.

I think she's cool, even if her views might not always be the best

I think she's a disgrace to liberalism...

Still she ain't a bad person from what I can tell.

If we measure a person by the good they achieve for the principles they believe in, then she is a bad person.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 7:00:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Usually political pundits create small followings of certain wings of one ideology and for the rest of the ideology and outside world they are seen as the LCD for the ideology they propagate, which is why I hate it when people make fun of pundits and say "This is a typical __".