Jump to topic:

Hope for the Future

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 5:04:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
One of the greatest things I have noticed about my children is how race doesn't matter. To them, skin color is just a superficial attribute of a person, no more significant than eye color or hair color and they only rarely ever use it to distinguish a person from another.

Ultimately, that's the goal: race is as trivial as any other physical characteristic. I don't believe there is much hope for the existing prejudices of adults today. Hope lies in the future.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 5:35:33 PM
At 10/17/2013 5:04:20 PM, drafterman wrote:
One of the greatest things I have noticed about my children is how race doesn't matter. To them, skin color is just a superficial attribute of a person, no more significant than eye color or hair color and they only rarely ever use it to distinguish a person from another.

Ultimately, that's the goal: race is as trivial as any other physical characteristic. I don't believe there is much hope for the existing prejudices of adults today. Hope lies in the future.

But drafter, if they don't hate the Other, whose legs will they break?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 6:14:04 PM
At 10/17/2013 5:35:33 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

But drafter, if they don't hate the Other, whose legs will they break?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:21:08 AM

Right, cause then we can focus on what really matters................................the gay's.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:44:04 AM
Have you noticed any new prejudices in them that you didn't have? Speaking from the viewpoint of a child, most of us have a negative attitude towards the stereotype of the adult, I'm too ignorant and new on this earth to discern whether or not that has existed in previous generations, but I would argue that our generation is more rude and insolent than previous generations. I would also argue that our generation is more lazy than yours. You grew up with less technology. Nowadays, everything is served to us on a platter, and it has all gone to our heads. In a bad way.

But who knows, its quite possible you have reared perfect human beings. All that remains to be seen is if racial discrimination hasn't been replaced with something worse.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 7:11:30 AM
At 10/18/2013 6:44:04 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Have you noticed any new prejudices in them that you didn't have? Speaking from the viewpoint of a child, most of us have a negative attitude towards the stereotype of the adult, I'm too ignorant and new on this earth to discern whether or not that has existed in previous generations, but I would argue that our generation is more rude and insolent than previous generations. I would also argue that our generation is more lazy than yours. You grew up with less technology. Nowadays, everything is served to us on a platter, and it has all gone to our heads. In a bad way.

But who knows, its quite possible you have reared perfect human beings. All that remains to be seen is if racial discrimination hasn't been replaced with something worse.

The appear to have a clear affinity for super-heroes and Legos. But... yeah, that's clearly worse than slavery.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 7:22:42 AM
At 10/18/2013 7:11:30 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/18/2013 6:44:04 AM, Smithereens wrote:

The appear to have a clear affinity for super-heroes and Legos. But... yeah, that's clearly worse than slavery.

Lol. But when they become teens, I'd love to hear about your family. I've always wondered if my parents get grey hairs because of me.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:16:55 PM
That's good to hear. Do you think your kids are an anomaly, or that's the attitude in Maryland? Unfortunately, my conception of the "average American" is Medic, so I'm wary about having to possibly move there.
yang.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:24:39 PM
At 10/18/2013 12:16:55 PM, tulle wrote:
That's good to hear. Do you think your kids are an anomaly, or that's the attitude in Maryland? Unfortunately, my conception of the "average American" is Medic, so I'm wary about having to possibly move there.

Couldn't say. They're the only kids that I have the most access to and I wouldn't go so far as to judge other kids based on the little snippets I get.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:29:14 PM

(emphasis mine)

I think you should only hold South Carolina responsible for medic...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:33:30 PM
At 10/18/2013 12:29:14 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

(emphasis mine)

I think you should only hold South Carolina responsible for medic...

It's hard to disentangle though, when you watch the news and see people's comments, what's widespread belief and what's a minority belief that happens to appear widespread. In Canada I'm used to certain things being a given---namely, the right to not be discriminated against based on race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc. The fact that American law doesn't reflect that makes it appear that it's what the majority wants based on a majority belief.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:34:46 PM
At 10/18/2013 12:33:30 PM, tulle wrote:

It's hard to disentangle though, when you watch the news and see people's comments, what's widespread belief and what's a minority belief that happens to appear widespread. In Canada I'm used to certain things being a given---namely, the right to not be discriminated against based on race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc. The fact that American law

and news, I should add.

doesn't reflect that makes it appear that it's what the majority wants based on a majority belief.
yang.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:36:52 PM

How old are your kids, if you don't mind revealing?
I only ask because I wonder if they have any prejudices at all. It is great they don't care about skin color, but I don't think most kids do. I think prejudices come with more complex thinking (i.e. creating relationships), where one can expect a result based on certain criteria (whether rightly or wrongly).

IMO, kids don't display much forethought, therefore they have no reason to have prejudice (except for vegetables).
My work here is, finally, done.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:51:04 PM
At 10/18/2013 12:36:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I only ask because I wonder if they have any prejudices at all. It is great they don't care about skin color, but I don't think most kids do. I think prejudices come with more complex thinking (i.e. creating relationships), where one can expect a result based on certain criteria (whether rightly or wrongly).

IMO, kids don't display much forethought, therefore they have no reason to have prejudice (except for vegetables).

That's a fair point.
yang.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 12:55:44 PM
At 10/18/2013 12:36:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

They're 5 and 3. I mean, they certainly have some prejudices, just not toward people. I really couldn't say what most kids do, so it may be the case that it is too soon for such things to have emerged, but in watching them and seeing how it isn't a factor in their thinking, I can't see how it would ever become a factor unless I impressed that upon them.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 1:01:23 PM
At 10/18/2013 12:55:44 PM, drafterman wrote:

They're 5 and 3. I mean, they certainly have some prejudices, just not toward people. I really couldn't say what most kids do, so it may be the case that it is too soon for such things to have emerged, but in watching them and seeing how it isn't a factor in their thinking, I can't see how it would ever become a factor unless I impressed that upon them.

It could become a factor if they were influenced by peers, teachers, etc.

I had no conception of race until I was 9. It was forced upon me by other people, not my parents.

There's still hope though :)
yang.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 4:07:20 PM

It is really important to plant that seed early. Their very basis of belief should be acceptance. It should be one of the very first things they learn. So thanks to you for teaching them.