Jump to topic:

Arctic 30 "Debate"

a_curious_student
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 6:30:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Recently, a group of Greenpeace activists were arrested by the Russian Coast Guard for attempting to scale the platform of the Prirazlomnoye oil field in the Pechora Sea.

I wanted to get the public's view on this issue and use that to support the pro and con side of an article I'm writing. My opinion is not considered due to the fact that my article cannot be biased in anyway.

I would like your honest opinion on the issue, with no external influences.

I would like to quote some comments to use in my article. (User)names and all personal information will be withheld for privacy. It will be strictly anonymous.

Professional and appropriate comments will only be considered.

If you are unfamiliar with the issue, more information can be found on numerous other online news sources
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 10:33:32 PM
You couldn't pick something a bit more important/relevant for your article?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 1:06:59 PM
At 10/24/2013 6:30:01 PM, a_curious_student wrote:
Recently, a group of Greenpeace activists were arrested by the Russian Coast Guard for attempting to scale the platform of the Prirazlomnoye oil field in the Pechora Sea.

I wanted to get the public's view on this issue and use that to support the pro and con side of an article I'm writing. My opinion is not considered due to the fact that my article cannot be biased in anyway.

I would like your honest opinion on the issue, with no external influences.

I would like to quote some comments to use in my article. (User)names and all personal information will be withheld for privacy. It will be strictly anonymous.

Professional and appropriate comments will only be considered.

If you are unfamiliar with the issue, more information can be found on numerous other online news sources

What exactly is the issue you are writing the article on that you want an opinion of?
Is it:
was this an effective move for Greenpeace?
is Greepeace's stance or methods acceptable?
should the drilling be occuring?
should arrests have been made?
My work here is, finally, done.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 12:19:50 AM
Tactically, Greenpeace is making a mistake. A pack of well-off, well-educated Westerners sailing around to preach to powerless workers in poorer countries does not come off as particularly noble. These are ordinary men and women doing difficult work, providing for families. One gets the impression that the Greenpeace crew is more committed to "adventure crusading" than to actually changing our energy sources. Russia is the world's number one oil exporter, but is ranked 148th for freedom of speech. So expecting an unobstructed right to protest on a Russian oil rig is simply unrealistic. If Greenpeace wanted provoke arrest, then they should demonstrate their respect for the rule of law by submitting to the punishment. Gandhi said: " I am here to submit cheerfully to the highest penalty that can be inflicted upon me for what in law is a deliberate crime and what appears to me to be the highest duty of a citizen." Gandhi instructed his disciples to take the penance of their opponents upon themselves. Rather than seek acquittal or commutation, Greenpeace should embrace the harshest penalties and so provoke a larger global outcry.

The economic forces that drive oil consumption and production are not controlled by a handful of roughnecks or the sailors protecting them. Say that Greenpeace was 100% successful and stopped the rig from working. We would probably see significant short-term harm to these workers' families, but does anybody really think that oil companies would change their minds about Arctic oil? Of course not. You can kill all the miners in a gold mine and blow up the entrance, but so long as people know there's gold down there, people are going to try to get it. The same is true for oil. The only effective strategy is to reduce the demand and the value of oil. Education, legislation, and taxes might reduce oil consumption and preserve the arctic. At best, Greenpeace's civil disobedience only offers delay.