Jump to topic:

Strange Answers to the Psychopath Test

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 12:08:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The background noise was too distracting for me to finish but I'm not really sure what's his thesis? He started off by saying that psychologists tend to label normal human behaviour as abnormal (which I somewhat agree with) and that it's easier to convince people you're crazy than to convince them you're sane (which I also agree with), then went on some weird tangent about psychopaths and I couldn't tell if he was being ironic.
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 12:26:28 PM
If I recall correctly he ends by saying that people aren't only black and white, they can't be perfectly compartmentalized into categories, that the truth of who we are exists in the grey.

And I grant you that the background noise was irritating... but the talk was good enough to me that despite it, I thought the video was worth posting.
Tsar of DDO
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 12:55:28 PM
At 10/29/2013 12:26:28 PM, YYW wrote:
If I recall correctly he ends by saying that people aren't only black and white, they can't be perfectly compartmentalized into categories, that the truth of who we are exists in the grey.

And I grant you that the background noise was irritating... but the talk was good enough to me that despite it, I thought the video was worth posting.

When he was talking about psychopathy, it seemed to me that what he really meant was anti-social personality disorder (ASPD having traits that society rewards, and having high incidence in certain professions like CEOs). When he made a comment about a psychopath threatening to stab someone I was done. Psychopath =/= anti-social personality disorder. So I couldn't tell if he was being facetious or not :/ lol

The point of personality disorders is that they are all in everyone---Everyone can see traits of at least one of them in themselves. The difference would be in some people it's more exaggerated and more of a problem, and that's what changes it from "normal" to "abnormal".
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 1:06:32 PM
At 10/29/2013 12:55:28 PM, tulle wrote:
At 10/29/2013 12:26:28 PM, YYW wrote:

When he was talking about psychopathy, it seemed to me that what he really meant was anti-social personality disorder (ASPD having traits that society rewards, and having high incidence in certain professions like CEOs). When he made a comment about a psychopath threatening to stab someone I was done. Psychopath =/= anti-social personality disorder. So I couldn't tell if he was being facetious or not :/ lol

There is a fair degree of conceptual overlap between ASPD and psychopathy...

ASPD:

A) There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:
failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;
B) The individual is at least age 18 years.
C) There is evidence of conduct disorder with onset before age 15 years.
D) The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of schizophrenia or a manic episode.

Hare Psychopathy Checklist:

Factor 1: Interpersonal/Affective
Glibness/superficial charm
Grandiose sense of self-worth
Pathological lying
Cunning/manipulative
Lack of remorse or guilt
Shallow affect (genuine emotion is short-lived and egocentric)
Callousness; lack of empathy
Failure to accept responsibility for his or her own actions

Factor 2: Lifestyle/Antisocial
Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
Parasitic lifestyle
Poor behavioral control
Lack of realistic long-term goals
Impulsiveness
Irresponsibility
Juvenile delinquency
Early behavior problems
Revocation of conditional release
Criminal versatility

Traits not correlated with either factor
Promiscuous sexual behavior
Many short-term (marital) relationships

The point of personality disorders is that they are all in everyone---Everyone can see traits of at least one of them in themselves. The difference would be in some people it's more exaggerated and more of a problem, and that's what changes it from "normal" to "abnormal".

Indeed.
Tsar of DDO
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 1:17:31 PM
It was interesting I guess. Just a whole load of players, some of them more f*cked up and controlling than others. None of them expressing anything that was necessarily true care for any of the others, but possibly just self-justification.

Now that CEO was a complete and dangerous psychopath. "I've always wondered what human flesh tastes like." He fired his employee because he bought a new car. Very much a dude who sees the world as a big competition and revels in it. Capitalism.

It's a joke, in general, all this anti-personality vs. psychpathy stuff. It's all about control, none of us able to feel for each other, in fear of each other, and then anti-personality vs. psycopathy comes down to what there is a person feels they have to control and what they have to control. Intelligence will play a part here to some degree, too. The man who sees obliterating sense in evolution for example, and survival of the fittest, is more likely to try to control that, to make it his own. It's a case of the abused trying to feel as though it's not really abuse, but something they want. And it just goes on and on like that, and capitalism is the major motherf*cker, these intelligentsia that WSA speaks of feeling just as crushed by the world as the next person, but unlike the more intelligent, feeling unable to do anything about it.

Well, not that they'd consider my approach sensible anyway, selfish as one might assume them to be, but then their position is definitely an unintelligible one too, just some retarded attempt to control. Mine's moral at the least, and then there's a certain peacefulness and independence to it, too.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 1:21:56 PM
That shallow affect bit makes for a good scum tell in mafia by the way. And there you have it, circumstance defining your degree of psychopathy.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 1:56:32 PM
I was inside in a chipper recently (pretty drunk, I actually wrote about it on here) and I noticed this little boy was staring at me. I stared back anyway and he didn't look away but made a face which I returned and much to his delight. I dunno, maybe I was looking pretty happy with myself or something, or I dunno what appeal there was to me, but afterwards, after that kid and his mother had eaten, he landed over to my table as he was walking out, put his elbow up on the table and looked around at everyone else as if readying to tell me a secret and said "Well, I'm leaving now, so you better get out, too" and looked around at all the other people eating there again and laughed before walking away. It was probably one of the most gratifying experiences I've ever had in my life. I seem to garner a whole lot of positive attention like that, too, from all sorts of people, there's just a general interest in me. I'd put it to mindset, and if that's the case, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 1:57:16 PM
At 10/29/2013 1:53:30 PM, tulle wrote:
At 10/29/2013 1:52:22 PM, tulle wrote:
Psychopath alert in this thread :)

Of course, I'm referring to YYW... :p

lol, you're certainly not the first ;)
Tsar of DDO
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 2:05:30 PM
A person not owning their own insanity is probably the most annoying and backwards thing there is.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 2:06:25 PM
At 10/29/2013 2:05:30 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
A person not owning their own insanity is probably the most annoying and backwards thing there is.

Well, the retardedly intelligent are.