Jump to topic:

Map Shows Worlds Racist Countries

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 9:44:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Most Tolerant: United States, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Guatemala, Britain, Sweden, Norway, Latvia, Australia, New Zealand

Least Tolerant: India, Jordan (40%+); Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Vietnam, Indonesia, South Korea (30%-39.9%).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 10:37:53 PM
ROFL at the snobby French.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:04:49 PM
At 10/28/2013 9:57:22 PM, tulle wrote:
Because self-report is the best way to see if people are racist....

The poll is certainly flawed... But what is the best way to see if people are racist?
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:06:47 PM

My thoughts exactly...
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:07:26 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:04:49 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

The poll is certainly flawed... But what is the best way to see if people are racist?

See how they act. Watch what they do. The problem is that doing so is very challenging on a large scale -if not impossible.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:09:40 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:07:26 PM, YYW wrote:

See how they act. Watch what they do. The problem is that doing so is very challenging on a large scale -if not impossible.

Even if possible, how would that be quantifiable?

We can look at hate crime stats I suppose, but that also doesn't provide a clear picture.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:11:09 PM

You can't, not on as large a scale as a country.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:17:47 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:09:40 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

That's sort of the point. Even if we could observe all people, determining whether the choices they made were because of racial biases would require reading individuals' minds.

However, there are certain instances where -like in San Francisco- there is the possibility of determining whether certain individuals have certain racial biases... like grindr, when the description says "no blacks, asians or arabs. Latinos to the front of the line. Indians ok too."

Not even kidding you, I have seen sh!t like that. But, most of the guys who post stuff like that are closeted "str8" types who claim to have "girlfriends" so they need to be "discrete."

What's interesting is that in Atlanta or Dallas, I've seen more white guys saying things like "I need black [fill in the blank for yourself" and more black guys saying "whites to the front" than in any other place I've been in the US. Most seem to be ok with hooking up with latinos too....

In California, the most common racial bias is "no asians."

Oddly, the most common bias on balance is "masc guys only."

Fun facts about some of the fringes of gay culture.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:18:28 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:11:09 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

You can't, not on as large a scale as a country.

I agree. So this poll shows the results of just this particular, even if flawed, methodology. It is, at the very least, an interesting way to get data on this subject.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:25:34 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:17:47 PM, YYW wrote:

That's sort of the point. Even if we could observe all people, determining whether the choices they made were because of racial biases would require reading individuals' minds.

However, there are certain instances where -like in San Francisco- there is the possibility of determining whether certain individuals have certain racial biases... like grindr, when the description says "no blacks, asians or arabs. Latinos to the front of the line. Indians ok too."

Not even kidding you, I have seen sh!t like that. But, most of the guys who post stuff like that are closeted "str8" types who claim to have "girlfriends" so they need to be "discrete."

What's interesting is that in Atlanta or Dallas, I've seen more white guys saying things like "I need black [fill in the blank for yourself" and more black guys saying "whites to the front" than in any other place I've been in the US. Most seem to be ok with hooking up with latinos too....

That's interesting information, but impossible to compile into objective data. There's obviously no perfect way to determine the places that are the most "racist", but I think this poll takes an interesting approach, as flawed as it is.
Debate.org Moderator
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:29:03 PM

It's not just flawed, it's ridiculous. Self-report is absolutely the worst way to see if people are racist.

One way is through Implicit Association Tests. Another is through just observing the behaviour of the participants, like how close they sit to someone of a different race.

http://www.psych.yorku.ca...

That's like asking 100 women "are you slutty" and then determining that no women are slutty because no one will admit to that. In North America, the implication of not wanting a neighbour of a different race is a negative one---no one will admit to that. And maybe you're fine with having a neighbour of a different race, but would you still be okay with them dating your daughter? Would you still treat them with suspicion? Does it say which races you'd be okay having as your neighbour? Maybe you'd be okay with a white or Asian neighbour but not a black one. How do you answer the question then? (Forgive me if that last question was addressed, I stopped reading the article when I saw how they "determined" who was racist)

This poll is all kinds of wrong.
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:29:20 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:25:34 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

That's interesting information, but impossible to compile into objective data.

Yup. Although perhaps in some sense, that's a good thing. There is a real ethical question involved in measuring the extent to which individuals in a given society are racists.

There's obviously no perfect way to determine the places that are the most "racist", but I think this poll takes an interesting approach, as flawed as it is.

I'd agre. It is interesting. But, I can tell you that I'd hate to live next to redneck white trash. I mean, I'm white, but I hate rednecks.

I'd also probably have a problem living next to Waka Flocka Flame.... not because he's black, but because he's a motha' fucki' gangsta'.

lol
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:33:27 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:29:03 PM, tulle wrote:

It's not just flawed, it's ridiculous. Self-report is absolutely the worst way to see if people are racist.

One way is through Implicit Association Tests. Another is through just observing the behaviour of the participants, like how close they sit to someone of a different race.

That's like asking 100 women "are you slutty" and then determining that no women are slutty because no one will admit to that. In North America, the implication of not wanting a neighbour of a different race is a negative one---no one will admit to that. And maybe you're fine with having a neighbour of a different race, but would you still be okay with them dating your daughter? Would you still treat them with suspicion? Does it say which races you'd be okay having as your neighbour? Maybe you'd be okay with a white or Asian neighbour but not a black one. How do you answer the question then? (Forgive me if that last question was addressed, I stopped reading the article when I saw how they "determined" who was racist)

This poll is all kinds of wrong.

Good points. Perhaps this poll then only ultimately shows that people in the US are more conscientious to not appear (of think of themselves as) racist then.
Debate.org Moderator
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:34:32 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:29:03 PM, tulle wrote:

By the way, I'm posting the link, not for the study itself, but for the method section. I get off on methods, I find them fascinating :p

To condense it, one of the ways they determined implicit bias was by telling participants to sit in one of 7 chairs. On the first chair was someone's belongings, and the participants were told that [insert name here] was going to return to their seat, either using a stereotypical white name or a stereotypical black name. How far the participant sat from that seat was recorded on a Likert scale.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:39:18 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:33:27 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Good points. Perhaps this poll then only ultimately shows that people in the US are more conscientious to not appear (of think of themselves as) racist then.

I mean... could you really believe that less than 5% of Canadians and Americans are racist?

http://en.wikipedia.org...
yang.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:39:38 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:29:20 PM, YYW wrote:

Yup. Although perhaps in some sense, that's a good thing. There is a real ethical question involved in measuring the extent to which individuals in a given society are racists.

Yeah I agree.

There's obviously no perfect way to determine the places that are the most "racist", but I think this poll takes an interesting approach, as flawed as it is.

I'd agre. It is interesting. But, I can tell you that I'd hate to live next to redneck white trash. I mean, I'm white, but I hate rednecks.

I'd also probably have a problem living next to Waka Flocka Flame.... not because he's black, but because he's a motha' fucki' gangsta'.

lol

haha I don't think I'd fit in too well in a redneck area or be well liked. I think there are completely reasonable reasons not to want to live somewhere that don't have anything to do with race or having biases against a group. As a Jew, the fact that I'm not moving to Saudi Arabia anytime soon has nothing to do with me not liking any group in particular.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:40:58 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:39:38 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 10/28/2013 11:29:20 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah I agree.

lol

haha I don't think I'd fit in too well in a redneck area or be well liked. I think there are completely reasonable reasons not to want to live somewhere that don't have anything to do with race or having biases against a group. As a Jew, the fact that I'm not moving to Saudi Arabia anytime soon has nothing to do with me not liking any group in particular.

haha, as a gay white liberal... I don't think I'd have much luck in Waka's hood either.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:43:21 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:39:18 PM, tulle wrote:
At 10/28/2013 11:33:27 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I mean... could you really believe that less than 5% of Canadians and Americans are racist?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Well no, but initially I figured the willingness of the participants to answer in the way reflected in the poll has a greater reflection of that particular society within a certain margin of error.

So I don't believe that number represents the number of racists necessarily, but may reflect the societies willingness in general to have such a viewpoint. However I'll concede this method is flawed and ultimately doesn't mean much in the end.
Debate.org Moderator
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:46:32 PM
At 10/28/2013 11:43:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Well no, but initially I figured the willingness of the participants to answer in the way reflected in the poll has a greater reflection of that particular society within a certain margin of error.

So I don't believe that number represents the number of racists necessarily, but may reflect the societies willingness in general to have such a viewpoint. However I'll concede this method is flawed and ultimately doesn't mean much in the end.

Oh, I see what you're saying. But yeah... not every culture looks negatively on having that particular view so it doesn't work. There would be more social desirability bias regarding willingness to have a neighbour of a different race in some countries than others.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 11:49:34 PM
Being racist has extremely negative connotations in Canada, US, Britain, etc. People from some other countries have no problem admitting it.

It would be like asking someone from Canada "are you homophobic?" Even if you are, you're gonna say no because it's kind of against the law. Ask someone from Russia on the other hand and they may have no problem admitting to it because it's against the law to be gay.
yang.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 12:05:09 AM
At 10/28/2013 11:49:34 PM, tulle wrote:
Being racist has extremely negative connotations in Canada, US, Britain, etc. People from some other countries have no problem admitting it.

It would be like asking someone from Canada "are you homophobic?" Even if you are, you're gonna say no because it's kind of against the law. Ask someone from Russia on the other hand and they may have no problem admitting to it because it's against the law to be gay.

I think this points out the flaws in asking people if they are racist in a society that shuns such an admission. But I also believe that such a society is, at least in the long run, more likely to ultimately have fewer racists.

So that ultimately leads me to believe that Canadians are less likely to be homophobic than Russians in this example. So while some are very likely to be lying in the former example, in a large enough sample size (assuming we had a perfect method of determination), the data should show that there are actually fewer homophobes in Canada than in Russia because the society looks down on it.
Debate.org Moderator
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 12:22:31 AM
At 10/29/2013 12:05:09 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I think this points out the flaws in asking people if they are racist in a society that shuns such an admission. But I also believe that such a society is, at least in the long run, more likely to ultimately have fewer racists.

Why? Racism is also about implicit bias, which people have been shown to have, even if they themselves don't believe they are racist. I guess it comes down to "what is racism?" I personally believe most people have some level of racial bias, even if they're not what one would traditionally consider "racist".

So that ultimately leads me to believe that Canadians are less likely to be homophobic than Russians in this example. So while some are very likely to be lying in the former example, in a large enough sample size (assuming we had a perfect method of determination), the data should show that there are actually fewer homophobes in Canada than in Russia because the society looks down on it.

I think that's probably fair, and that's my fault for not using the best example. While homophobia and racism have a lot of similarities, implicit racial bias still exists in people who don't believe they have it.

There's a difference though between being okay with a gay neighbour and being okay with your own kid being gay; in the same way, you may be okay with a neighbour of a different race and still show other biases.

I would agree that this poll probably does reflect which countries are more openly racist. But being covertly or implicitly racist doesn't make something less racist. You can also tolerate something without liking it.
yang.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 1:21:55 AM

Racially based sexual preference doesn't seem racist to me at all. I've never been attracted to Asian girls, but I like Indians.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 1:56:18 AM
At 10/29/2013 12:22:31 AM, tulle wrote:
I would agree that this poll probably does reflect which countries are more openly racist. But being covertly or implicitly racist doesn't make something less racist. You can also tolerate something without liking it.

It does make it harder to prove though. I took a test a while back which was supposed to measure unconscious racism. It said I was slightly racist which I thought was BS so I took it again the next day. I turned from slightly to very racist in less than 24 hours. For a week the results changed every day I took it (in no discernible direction).

My final conclusion was that this test measure the effective contrast ratio of your monitor and your reflex time more than your unconscious opinions, but this story has a point. I was introduced to this test on a forum where several people had already taken the test, accepted the first results it spit out and made posts about how they were surprised at how racist they were (sometimes against their own race).

I have seen some silly survey questions in the past and I have seen academics honestly try to make sense of them, I don't have much trust in any attempt to determine something about a person's mind or beliefs indirectly especially through something like a series of questions.

A direct question may seem obvious but I think it has a better chance of succeeding than anything else, and I happen to agree that America is one of the least racist countries in the world. Americans don't notice because no nation in the world is so sensitive to possible racism... to them it seems like a constant battle.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 2:11:17 AM
Lol at Pakistan being one of the most racially tolerant country.

Agree with tulle. Race, for example, is not a politically charged word in India as it in most other countries. The language employed fails to capture the nature of our biases. Had the survey used a person of different *caste*, for example, lesser people would have admitted not wanting to have them as neighbors as the term is more politically incorrect- although the essence remains kind of the same.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 10:38:42 AM
The US is extremely tolerant.

From someone who has traveled around the world the US is really really open to foreigners compared to some places.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:35:05 AM
At 10/29/2013 10:38:42 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The US is extremely tolerant.

From someone who has traveled around the world the US is really really open to foreigners compared to some places.

Being open to "foreigners" has nothing to do with race. French people aren't open to "foreigners" no matter what race you are. They are also racist but that's beside the point :p
yang.