Jump to topic:

Do you care what people think of you?

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 4:49:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Me, I'm like this -- you love me, cool. You hate me, I couldn't care less, cause you're petty to me.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 6:41:54 PM
At 11/1/2013 4:49:05 PM, Adam2 wrote:
Me, I'm like this -- you love me, cool. You hate me, I couldn't care less, cause you're petty to me.

Ma Monkey: "think about you," is too broad.

You need to narrow down what you mean by "think" or else you're open to all kinds of nonsense.

Eg. You don't care if people are thinking about murdering you? Even your parents?

Do you mean "feel "about you?

But how people feel about you has cause and effects that may increase or hinder your well-being. I think it's fair to say, we would prefer to be loved by all, then to be hated by all.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
xatoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 11:10:29 AM
Only if their opinion of me can have an actual effect on my life (at least one that's reasonably predictable). Bob down the street? Couldn't care less. The girl I have a thing for and would very much like to get with? I care.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:28:25 PM
At 11/1/2013 5:38:19 PM, Wnope wrote:
Only if it could effect my career.

That's just a matter of your words, in real it's really hard to be on what you're saying. People wouldn't effect your career, still they would be affecting you the other way (either by words).

Still, if you strongly feel so as you feel, that's good.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:30:53 PM
Yup, that depends upon the subject in their mind and relative importance of it, in my lifestyle.
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 5:22:31 PM
At 11/11/2013 1:28:25 PM, Dazz wrote:

That's just a matter of your words, in real it's really hard to be on what you're saying. People wouldn't effect your career, still they would be affecting you the other way (either by words).

If Person A thinks "That guy is a horrible x" and he tells Person B that, then if I want to get hired by person B to be an x I am screwed."

Life isn't a series of dyads. People who think things about you can change what OTHER PEOPLE think about you.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 1:38:17 AM
At 11/11/2013 5:22:31 PM, Wnope wrote:

If Person A thinks "That guy is a horrible x" and he tells Person B that, then if I want to get hired by person B to be an x I am screwed."

Life isn't a series of dyads. People who think things about you can change what OTHER PEOPLE think about you.

So what's the point you want to raise, relative to my previous statement (complement or a supplement)?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 1:41:19 AM
At 11/12/2013 1:38:17 AM, Dazz wrote:

So what's the point you want to raise, relative to my previous statement (complement or a supplement)?

To the best of my understanding, since you weren't exactly using first-rate english, I distinctly understood you writing that people can't effect my career because they think badly of me.

The rest was largely jibberish.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 2:01:05 AM
At 11/12/2013 1:41:19 AM, Wnope wrote:

To the best of my understanding, since you weren't exactly using first-rate english, I distinctly understood you writing that people can't effect my career because they think badly of me.

I supposed you capable of realizing the probability of possible diversifcation, people may have over forum, I can't understand your maturity level, why you are still expecting from people to have high-rated language. (you must learn to ignore it now, after all, what's your thousand of posts worth of?)

Anyway, my point in first place was a complement. "IF" People wouldn't effect your career, still they would be affecting you the other way (either by words). So it's a complement.

Reasoning to my view is your own statement you qouted later (thus I asked for your position)...... "People who think things about you can change what OTHER PEOPLE think about you."

Apart from all, as I said before " Still, if you strongly feel (think) in the way you feel (think), that's good for your decision.

Good day!
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 2:18:08 AM
At 11/12/2013 2:01:05 AM, Dazz wrote:

I supposed you capable of realizing the probability of possible diversifcation, people may have over forum, I can't understand your maturity level, why you are still expecting from people to have high-rated language. (you must learn to ignore it now, after all, what's your thousand of posts worth of?)

Anyway, my point in first place was a complement. "IF" People wouldn't effect your career, still they would be affecting you the other way (either by words). So it's a complement.

Reasoning to my view is your own statement you qouted later (thus I asked for your position)...... "People who think things about you can change what OTHER PEOPLE think about you."

Apart from all, as I said before " Still, if you strongly feel (think) in the way you feel (think), that's good for your decision.

Good day!

Is English your second language? If so, you're excellent. But your last post really made no sense. This one I can understand. Possibly because it's more fleshed out.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 2:23:46 AM
At 11/12/2013 2:18:08 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 11/12/2013 2:01:05 AM, Dazz wrote:

Good day!

Is English your second language? If so, you're excellent. But your last post really made no sense. This one I can understand. Possibly because it's more fleshed out.

Au revoir! I have to go for my Maths class.
TC
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 8:55:57 AM

I care what I think of me. I'm always happy to hear of others' opinions on me (probably more, I think, than most), but mine is the opinion of myself I most value.
Tsar of DDO
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 11:30:39 AM
Not really. Considering I can pull out convenient huge words at any moment, I can just confuse them, then they don't know what to think.

If I wanted people to think good about me, I'd drop to their level.

I did hold a door open for like ten minutes today in 20 degree weather, so maybe I'm just lying to myself.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 1:52:15 PM
At 11/12/2013 11:30:39 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Not really. Considering I can pull out convenient huge words at any moment, I can just confuse them, then they don't know what to think.

If I wanted people to think good about me, I'd drop to their level.

I did hold a door open for like ten minutes today in 20 degree weather, so maybe I'm just lying to myself.

~A pretty piece of Confusion~
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2013 7:03:22 PM
As a general rule, people care. The fact that people say they don't care what people think of them proves this point. Some people care less, but there is no one who doesn't care at all. We all care to a certain degree what others think of us.
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 11:52:04 AM
Yep, but that doesn't mean I can necessarily do anything about it. I care first and foremost what I think about myself.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:52:29 PM

Most people will say I don't care if it doesn't affect me, but honestly, we don't run out of the house naked, men get haircuts, women wear makeup. We do these things because we care what others think of us, regardless if we never see them again. And honestly whether you know it or not, something is always watching you.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:53:20 PM
At 11/14/2013 10:52:29 PM, Disquisition wrote:

Most people will say I don't care if it doesn't affect me, but honestly, we don't run out of the house naked, men get haircuts, women wear makeup. We do these things because we care what others think of us, regardless if we never see them again. And honestly whether you know it or not, someone is always watching you.

*someone
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2013 11:15:03 PM
I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but I'm certainly getting there - it has been gradually attenuated over time and through experience. The kind of peace you get when you genuinely don't care what people - not just tell yourself not to care, but to actually,...truly not care - it's so blissful. I get it occasionally, but not always.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2013 12:15:17 AM
At 11/16/2013 11:15:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but I'm certainly getting there - it has been gradually attenuated over time and through experience. The kind of peace you get when you genuinely don't care what people - not just tell yourself not to care, but to actually,...truly not care - it's so blissful. I get it occasionally, but not always.

That feeling you've got... it's like swimming in the ocean, on the Atlantic side of Florida. It's utterly serene.

But anyway, there really is something to being so self assured, that nothing anyone or anything could tell you would change how you measure yourself. My hierarchy has always been, in this order: I first care what God thinks of me, and then what my family and friends thinks of me, and I finally care what I think of me. And I do, very much, care what others think or me, but I'm selectee of the other's whose inputs I seek.
Tsar of DDO
nikola.treimane
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 9:10:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I usually do not care about what people say, but if a person is important for me then I always count their opinion and respect it. I think that nowadays it is not that important to hear what other people think of you, because most of their opinions and looks about us are wrong.
milleb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 2:07:29 AM
I definitely care what people think of me - I think most people do. I guess it's mostly about self-esteem and how self-conscious you are. Personally, I'm very self-conscious and always think about the way I look before I walk out the door. Obviously, it would be nice if you didn't have to worry about the way other people look at you and what they think of you, but I also think that it's really hard to get to that point.

"Confidence isn't about walking into a room with your nose in the air and thinking that you are better than everyone else. It's about walking into a room and not having to compare yourself to anyone else in the first place."
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 3:00:51 AM
"Do you care what people think of you?"

No more than they care about what I think of them.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
janus777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:58:09 AM
I think that at some point almost every person think about others opinions about yourself. it depends on how you where raised by your parents, your social background and how your view is on the world.
Fraekfyr21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 6:03:50 AM

I think you should never hide your true colors. Be who you are, no matter what or who you are in company with. I, personally, like people who act natural instead of trying to be someone else. We are all beautiful on the inside!
debatemath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 6:15:44 AM
I think that everybody care what people think of them, maybe not always in a higher level but I believe that everybody have a opinion about everyone.
RaceRealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 6:50:15 PM

I care because what others think could affect my whole life. If others think im a loser, then ill be less likely to have friends. Less likely to have friends means i will be less likely to seem normal. Less likely to seem normal will mean i will have a harder time fitting in. And fitting in is almost everything. If you can't socialize, you are doomed to fail in this social society. You need to socialize at work, school and home or else people will no longer care about you, which means you could lose many opportunities.