Secularism

mbrown80
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 1:56:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this sort of thing. I was wondering if I could pick your educated brains... Why do you think our society has went from a more religious society to a more secularized one? A discussion would really help jump start my brain. I'm doing research for a paper.
Thanks! Megan
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 4:46:22 AM
Society has definitely become more secular as time has gone on, state religions are being toned down to the point of which they have close to no influence on society. People of different faiths, backgrounds e.c.t live in the same neighbourhoods and peacefully co exist. It seems at last that people have grown a little more intelligent compared to their idiotic God fearing past.
Turn around, go back.
mbrown80
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 8:00:44 AM
At 11/3/2013 4:46:22 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Society has definitely become more secular as time has gone on, state religions are being toned down to the point of which they have close to no influence on society. People of different faiths, backgrounds e.c.t live in the same neighbourhoods and peacefully co exist. It seems at last that people have grown a little more intelligent compared to their idiotic God fearing past.

Do you think this has happened because of the advancement of technology? Society has greater access to knowledge? Have we become more secular because it has allowed us to have more personal freedom and not be tied down to just one certain set of ideas and beliefs?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 8:03:59 AM
Religion was made in order to explain why nature works the way it does. Since science has now done a much more detailed and quite literally down-to-Earth job of explaining it, less and less people see the need to believe in a higher being.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 10:29:20 PM
The answer to yer question is probably far too complex to be stated in only a few sentences. It has to do with shifts in the constitution of sovereign power, ruptures in collective consciousness, ideological fallout from the Enlightenment and the 'scientific age' that followed, etc. etc. Its not as simple as derp cuz science iz awesome.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 2:53:54 PM
At 11/3/2013 8:00:44 AM, mbrown80 wrote:
At 11/3/2013 4:46:22 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:

Do you think this has happened because of the advancement of technology? Society has greater access to knowledge? Have we become more secular because it has allowed us to have more personal freedom and not be tied down to just one certain set of ideas and beliefs?

Yes, technology played a key part in this, people now know that many of the things they assumed God was behind now yield a logical answer. Education and other social factors also played a part in turning society more secular. Now with education and access to a wider range of opinions secularism is on the rise.
Turn around, go back.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:10:24 PM
I'd suggest secularism has become more of a thing out of necessity. As the world continues to globalize and people more easily interact and, in many instances, begin to literally live next to people from other countries, it's become kind of necessary for our collective bodies (that is, the government/state) to take the only neutral way out in terms of religion: secularism.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus