Jump to topic:

Why don't black men graduate college?

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2013 10:12:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Black men have the lowest percentage of college students in America, and the highest percentage of incarcerations. This thread is to share opinions on the underlying factors causing this issue, and proposed solutions for it. Before someone says that its because they are black, I will also point out that the largest demographic of college grads and among the lowest of incarcerations in America is black women. So no, nothing is wrong with black people that keeps them from going to college, and no, its not because the colleges are racist and wont accept them.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
fuzala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2013 10:23:19 PM
One explanation is the stereotype threat. "Stereotype threat is the experience of anxiety or concern in a situation where a person has the potential to confirm a negative stereotype about their social group." http://en.wikipedia.org...

I won't say colleges are racist. I don't think they are racist; however, there is still subtle racism that exists. Some people don't even realize they hold such views.

In this What would you do? video,
they do an experiment to see if people will do anything about a theft.

There's a black guy, white guy, and white girl.

People reported the black guy for theft much more often than they reported the latter (the white guy or girl) even if all three attempted to steal. Now, these people are not racist. This is probably something they do subconsciously because of all the stereotypes.

Skip to 4 minutes if you don't wanna see the whole thing:

I think this can relate back to education. If you're constantly told your social group won't amount to anything both directly and indirectly, you might start to believe such false claims.
Vote fuzala for President of the World.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 12:27:53 AM
The OP answers your question. Black men don't graduate college because they don't enroll. Why don't they enroll en masse?

I'll go with the answer of "they're black", in the sense that being educated, for whatever reason, seems to be frowned upon in the black community. I have heard this often, although I don't know if it is true.
My work here is, finally, done.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:33:07 AM
At 11/17/2013 10:12:11 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Black men have the lowest percentage of college students in America, and the highest percentage of incarcerations. This thread is to share opinions on the underlying factors causing this issue, and proposed solutions for it. Before someone says that its because they are black, I will also point out that the largest demographic of college grads and among the lowest of incarcerations in America is black women. So no, nothing is wrong with black people that keeps them from going to college, and no, its not because the colleges are racist and wont accept them.

Unfortunately, because in black culture today, it's cool to be a thug and shoot up people. But the ones who want to live a decent live are looked down upon, not just by their own race, but by the racists as well. It's a shame. Those thugs are exactly what the KKK wants blacks to be. F--k those damn Klansman.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:34:31 AM
At 11/18/2013 12:27:53 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
The OP answers your question. Black men don't graduate college because they don't enroll. Why don't they enroll en masse?

I'll go with the answer of "they're black", in the sense that being educated, for whatever reason, seems to be frowned upon in the black community. I have heard this often, although I don't know if it is true.

FDR's welfare system did that to them. It was designed to keep blacks stuck in inner-city projects. We can thank the New Deal for this. FDR was a racist punk.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:38:54 AM
At 11/28/2013 11:34:31 AM, Adam2 wrote:

FDR's welfare system did that to them. It was designed to keep blacks stuck in inner-city projects. We can thank the New Deal for this. FDR was a racist punk.

Keep in mind that the new deal was designed in the 1930's. For it's time, it was far more egalitarian than people would have wished. I have been doing a lot of research on the subject though, and you are definatly on to something. The New deal housing policy did have a lot to do with it.

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:46:00 AM
At 11/28/2013 11:38:54 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Keep in mind that the new deal was designed in the 1930's. For it's time, it was far more egalitarian than people would have wished. I have been doing a lot of research on the subject though, and you are definatly on to something. The New deal housing policy did have a lot to do with it.

I'm no puritan, I admire JFK of all the Democrats, because he had a vision for America, and he was against big government, but FDR was a racist jagoff who hated blacks, and he said it. To me, FDR is worse than LBJ because FDR was the one who planted the seeds of what would destroy the black family.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:49:27 AM

LBJ merely continued what FDR started. LBJ was a petty wimp in comparison.
Ironically FDR and Truman had different ways of "dealing with" blacks. Both were open racists, mind you, but FDR was the type who would subdue blacks to keep them stupid. Truman was the type who would proudly lynch a black person and say "No n**gers allowed," which FDR said too, but Truman would murder someone.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:54:26 AM
At 11/28/2013 11:46:00 AM, Adam2 wrote:

I'm no puritan, I admire JFK of all the Democrats, because he had a vision for America, and he was against big government, but FDR was a racist jagoff who hated blacks, and he said it. To me, FDR is worse than LBJ because FDR was the one who planted the seeds of what would destroy the black family.

That very well may be, I am unaware of FDR's personal views. I will say, however, that FDR's policies, while containing some negative things, were overall good for this country. Secondly, I do not mind if you wish to bash FDR, but if you want to do it on this thread please keep it intellectual and educated, no personal or angry insults unless you provide evidence to back them up. I greatly appreciate you understanding that I am trying to keep this thread a place for constructive discussion. Thank you.

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:56:56 AM
At 11/28/2013 11:54:26 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

That very well may be, I am unaware of FDR's personal views. I will say, however, that FDR's policies, while containing some negative things, were overall good for this country. Secondly, I do not mind if you wish to bash FDR, but if you want to do it on this thread please keep it intellectual and educated, no personal or angry insults unless you provide evidence to back them up. I greatly appreciate you understanding that I am trying to keep this thread a place for constructive discussion. Thank you.

OK, sorry for the cursing, but I do think FDR said openly racist things in his time as president. First of all, he created the Japanese internment camps. He created internment camps for Italians and Germans.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:59:12 AM
At 11/28/2013 11:56:56 AM, Adam2 wrote:

OK, sorry for the cursing, but I do think FDR said openly racist things in his time as president. First of all, he created the Japanese internment camps. He created internment camps for Italians and Germans.

You are entirely right on that. It shows how easily the American people, out of fear and suspicion, will give up the rights they otherwise fight for.

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 12:11:55 PM
At 11/28/2013 11:59:12 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

You are entirely right on that. It shows how easily the American people, out of fear and suspicion, will give up the rights they otherwise fight for.

I hope you agree. I hate when people talk crud about tomboys. Like all them are lesbians, they'll say. No, not all of them are lesbians. Some are, but not all are. Just because they prefer guy friends are not upset when guys talk about nice girls, doesn't make them gay, necessarily. Some are but not all.
I also hate when people talk about autistics in a bad way too.

Anyways, one thing that annoys me, and my God it's like talking to people who think 1 + 1 = 11. lol. And this shows you that dropouts are on the rise. People who say slavery = racism. Can this world get anymore stupider, bro? No. Yes all supporters of slavery were racist, but not all racists supported slavery. Many of the people who fought against slavery in the Civil War were happy enough to drive Native Americans off their land and terrorize blacks themselves. The state from which the Klan was born in was pretty much almost a Union state. That state being Tennessee. And we don't even know the names of the KKK founders. That's speculation. Some people believe it was Illuminati, and I suspect, with the pro-Union history of TN that the KKK was purely a Union invention.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 12:13:51 PM
At 11/28/2013 11:59:12 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Only the west of TN went Confederate, while the East of TN went Union, and it was from the East that the KKK would be spawned. Not suprisingly, blacks feel more comfortable in the formerly Confederate areas of TN, which is why most blacks live in the west of the state, because they feel welcomed there.