Jump to topic:

Best and Worst Sounding Languages

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 4:49:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Pick three languages for each that are, in your opinion, the best and worst sounding.

Best: Italian, Japanese, French
Worst: Arabic, Vietnamese, Cantonese

Inspired by this article: http://takimag.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 7:15:30 PM
At 11/20/2013 4:49:04 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Pick three languages for each that are, in your opinion, the best and worst sounding.

Best languages:

English (obviously), and the many accents it entails. I like general American accents, Southern American (Texas), Irish, certain English accents (Manchester, London and Midlands).

French is up there, along with Russian accents (particularly on men), as well as Korean (on women).

The worst sounding languages in my opinion are: Indian, I'll agree with Cantonese and will add Welsh to the list.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 7:51:10 PM

I kinda like Arabic.

I would have to say that German is one of the worst sounding though. Saying "I love you" sounds more like an insult than a complement.

Russian... just sounds bada**. I still remember this one time in high school, whereby a friend of a friend went from talking in English to talking in Russian, and he went from sounding like a normal 17 year old, to some 40 year old Russian PoW.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 7:55:50 PM
At 11/20/2013 7:15:30 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
The worst sounding languages in my opinion are: Indian, I'll agree with Cantonese and will add Welsh to the list.

Welsh sounds like someone speaking in tongues to me: http://youtu.be...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 8:01:41 PM
At 11/20/2013 7:51:10 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
I kinda like Arabic.

I would have to say that German is one of the worst sounding though. Saying "I love you" sounds more like an insult than a complement.

Y U NO?! To me Arabic sounds like German with 3x the phlegm.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 2:05:31 AM
Lol, I love Arabic. And Urdu. I once heard this interview of this Pakistani actress chastising this Islamic scholar in Urdu, and I just... Its so polite. Even when she they are arguing its classy. I can't explain it, probably. Its like British English.

I love Italian too.

Dunno about worst, probably Norwegian.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 3:08:04 AM

U serious bro? I LOVE Arabic. It sounds so smooth.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 3:09:41 AM
Hebrew is nice sounding as well, but I'm biased. They say Khoisan languages are the most linguistically "complete," so I would check them out.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 10:27:11 AM
At 11/21/2013 3:08:04 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Yes, as smooth as forcing a water buffalo into a wood chipper.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 10:33:24 AM
At 11/21/2013 10:27:11 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 11/21/2013 3:08:04 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Yes, as smooth as forcing a water buffalo into a wood chipper.

There are different varieties of Arabic. The kind I usually hear is Levantine Arabic. But my father's family speaks Moroccan and that particular dialect sounds like gargling gravel.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 11:48:23 AM

Best: English, French, German
Worst: Farsi (and all Middle Eastern languages generally), Hindi (and all Indian languages, generally) and Swahili (and all non-European languages spoken in Africa, generally). Korean might be a close runner up.

But, YYW! You're being a cultural elitist...

Maybe I am.

Farsi and Hindi are pretty to look at, at least their characters are aesthetically pleasing. They are wretched to listen to, though. Perhaps because I speak neither, and it gives me a headache trying to figure it out... perhaps because they're not Latin or Greek based. Idk... but I'm not a fan.
Tsar of DDO
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 1:09:24 PM
I generally dislike the sound of Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Mandarine (but to the lesser degree than the former two, no harm intended for any of you who might be the native speakers of all those)

I like the English the most but I generally like the British RP more than the American, and mush more to the American Texas.

Aside from that I also found that the Latin language sounds very beautiful (but for some reasons I don't like Romance language that mush).

May be it seem that I generally dislike tonic language, and prefer rich, airy pronunciation (Latin is an exception).
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 10:15:04 PM
Have any of you realized that you are not talking about languages, but just the people you've heard speak those languages? I can say I don't like Irish because I'm sick of hearing the Groundskeeper Willee on the Simpsons, but that doesn't mean I haven't heard beautiful Irish accents before. I'm sure I could hypothetically find pleasurable usages of any language or dialect, as well as its opposite!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 11:38:10 PM
At 11/21/2013 10:15:04 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Have any of you realized that you are not talking about languages, but just the people you've heard speak those languages? I can say I don't like Irish because I'm sick of hearing the Groundskeeper Willee on the Simpsons, but that doesn't mean I haven't heard beautiful Irish accents before. I'm sure I could hypothetically find pleasurable usages of any language or dialect, as well as its opposite!

Willie isn't Irish.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 12:31:19 AM
Best: Italian, Russian, Japanese
Worst: Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Arabic(?)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 12:34:41 AM
At 11/22/2013 12:31:19 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Best: Italian, Russian, Japanese
Worst: Cantonese, Vietnamese, []

Never mind about my inclusion of Arabic as one of the "worst-sounding languages."
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 1:18:39 AM
At 11/21/2013 11:38:10 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Willie isn't Irish.

What next? Grizzly Adams had a beard?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 2:18:00 AM
At 11/22/2013 1:18:39 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/21/2013 11:38:10 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Willie isn't Irish.

What next? Grizzly Adams had a beard?

If your point is that the individuals are the problem and not the accent, then using Willie as your example for Irish accents doesn't make any sense. The accents aren't the same, so even if we take your point for granted, Willie's voice wouldn't have any effect on your opinion of Irish accents.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 12:21:43 PM
At 11/20/2013 7:51:10 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

I kinda like Arabic.

Noo! Begone, foul Lord Distain! "Ich liebe dich" sounds fine, if you've got the accents. People either say: "Ik leeber dik", or "Ish leeber dish", but both are wrong. I cannot show you the IPA, because of the rendering on DDO, but it should be somewhere in the middle. Now, Dutch...

Russian... just sounds bada**. I still remember this one time in high school, whereby a friend of a friend went from talking in English to talking in Russian, and he went from sounding like a normal 17 year old, to some 40 year old Russian PoW.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 6:41:53 PM
In no particular order - English, French, Slavic languages (Yugoslav, Russian, etc.), and German. All of these are classic European languages and have an authoritarian and formal touch to them. I prefer English without strong accent, and Yugoslav version of Slavic languages. Russian isn't as strong in pronunciation.

Arabic and Hebrew are also on top. Other Asian languages generally don't sound very appealing.