Jump to topic:

Alone in thought

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 10:26:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If you think that you are the only sane person on earth does that make you insane?

I remembered this while looking around the forum. Its from a movie and is an interesting thought.
deathdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 10:33:23 AM
At 1/5/2010 10:26:27 AM, Kahvan wrote:
If you think that you are the only sane person on earth does that make you insane?

I remembered this while looking around the forum. Its from a movie and is an interesting thought.

Not insane, but deeply pessimistic and probably depressed.
Sylux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 10:34:55 AM
No, it just means that you have, with good reason, lost all faith in humanity and have seeded a deep hatred for the f*cked up society we currently live in.
"Can you see? Do you know?
The string behind you, it's shiny and pretty.
Where is my string.
Give me because I don't know.
Give me your string.
Give me everything."
-grasshoppa
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 10:53:25 AM
At 1/5/2010 10:45:31 AM, Kahvan wrote:
I don't remember who said this but I love this quote

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him."

http://lmgtfy.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 2:23:09 PM
Eric Fromm, German psychologist, said that it is the truly sane person who feels isolated and alone in an insane society. And because of his inability to cope with it, it is he, the fully sane person, who may become schizophrenic in the insane society.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:44:16 PM
At 1/7/2010 12:15:00 PM, tkubok wrote:
The last man on earth is whatever he wants to be. Who else could possibly tell him hes wrong?

Reality tells him wrong when he believes he is a being that can fly by arm flapping. It probably kills him.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 1:26:28 PM
At 1/7/2010 12:44:16 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The last man on earth is whatever he wants to be. Who else could possibly tell him hes wrong?

Reality tells him wrong when he believes he is a being that can fly by arm flapping. It probably kills him.

Reality is not a perspective. If the person is so deluded that he truly believes he is a bird, then guess what, hes a bird. If an outside observer exists, yes, he can conclude that the person is not a bird. However, if the man is the last person on earth, there is no outside observer.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 1:52:03 PM
At 1/7/2010 1:26:28 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:44:16 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Reality is not a perspective. If the person is so deluded that he truly believes he is a bird, then guess what, hes a bird. If an outside observer exists, yes, he can conclude that the person is not a bird. However, if the man is the last person on earth, there is no outside observer.

Unconnected. You mean by being the Last person, you have power over the nomative? If so, then, yes. But Ragnar_Rahl ment that even as one you can't change the factual; hence you can't fly, perspective or not.
'sup DDO -- july 2013