Jump to topic:

The Knock Out Game

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:43:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) " Police are looking into another possible "knockout game" attack against a Hasidic Jewish man in Williamsburg on Sunday night.
"It seems clear that overwhelmingly here in New York the victims have been Jewish, there"s no question about that," Hikind told Smith. "You have New Yorkers who are afraid to walk the streets, afraid to let their kids walk the in streets because you don"t know who the next victim is going to be."

The victim was not seriously injured in this case, but Hikind said there is a growing fear.
-----
http://newyork.cbslocal.com...

-----
-----

Before I get into this, I want to lay a few facts out on the table. First, black and latino teenagers have overwhelmingly been the known participants of "the knock out game." White kids might be in on it too, but they don't make the news. Second, white or white-looking people are typically the targets of "knock out" sucker punches.

Bearing that in consideration, I want to put this in context with Trayvon Martin, who was an unarmed black teenager that in no way presented any kind of threat to George Zimmerman.

Let's consider, hypothetically, that a white couple is walking in Central Park at dusk; one of whom is a security guard for a bank and the other is a seamstress. Both are white. Suppose that off in the distance, there is a group of black youths. One of the youths runs up towards the couple.

The male, a security guard, shoots the black kid in the chest before he reaches the couple. The police are called, and the man is released on his own recognizance and the black kid is taken to the hospital. Three days later the kid dies from his wounds. The man is charged, fairly, with some form of murder at first and then the charge is reduced to involuntary manslaughter.

His defense is simple: "I know that there are many people who have been attacked by black kids as a part of the knock out game. I felt like I and my wife were in imminent danger and while I didn't intend to kill him I was afraid that we were going to be attacked."

Does he have a fair defense? Maybe not, but it damn well might convince a jury -and even if it doesn't, the outcome of that trial would have implications for every black and latino kid in this country.

The point is this: non-white teenagers have the most to loose from the knockout game. It's stupid, arbitrary violence that has no effect other than to reinforce smoldering ethnic prejudices. The fact that young non-white kids could be so stupid that they don't see this is astounding to me.

I'm not a "race politics" kind of guy, but the stakes here literally could be life and death -especially in states which have concealed or open-carry laws. The fact that this isn't explicitly clear to -specifically- black teenagers is astonishing to me. They literally have THE MOST to loose in this.

And if you disagree with me, fine. If you want to argue about how what I'm saying ought not to be the case, that's fine too. I'm telling you how it will turn out; what is -not wishfully thinking about how people should respond to things like this.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:00:51 PM
At 12/2/2013 3:43:34 PM, YYW wrote:
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) " Police are looking into another possible "knockout game" attack against a Hasidic Jewish man in Williamsburg on Sunday night.
"It seems clear that overwhelmingly here in New York the victims have been Jewish, there"s no question about that," Hikind told Smith. "You have New Yorkers who are afraid to walk the streets, afraid to let their kids walk the in streets because you don"t know who the next victim is going to be."

The victim was not seriously injured in this case, but Hikind said there is a growing fear.
-----

-----
-----

Before I get into this, I want to lay a few facts out on the table. First, black and latino teenagers have overwhelmingly been the known participants of "the knock out game." White kids might be in on it too, but they don't make the news. Second, white or white-looking people are typically the targets of "knock out" sucker punches.

Bearing that in consideration, I want to put this in context with Trayvon Martin, who was an unarmed black teenager that in no way presented any kind of threat to George Zimmerman.

Let's consider, hypothetically, that a white couple is walking in Central Park at dusk; one of whom is a security guard for a bank and the other is a seamstress. Both are white. Suppose that off in the distance, there is a group of black youths. One of the youths runs up towards the couple.

The male, a security guard, shoots the black kid in the chest before he reaches the couple. The police are called, and the man is released on his own recognizance and the black kid is taken to the hospital. Three days later the kid dies from his wounds. The man is charged, fairly, with some form of murder at first and then the charge is reduced to involuntary manslaughter.

His defense is simple: "I know that there are many people who have been attacked by black kids as a part of the knock out game. I felt like I and my wife were in imminent danger and while I didn't intend to kill him I was afraid that we were going to be attacked."

Does he have a fair defense? Maybe not, but it damn well might convince a jury -and even if it doesn't, the outcome of that trial would have implications for every black and latino kid in this country.

The point is this: non-white teenagers have the most to loose from the knockout game. It's stupid, arbitrary violence that has no effect other than to reinforce smoldering ethnic prejudices. The fact that young non-white kids could be so stupid that they don't see this is astounding to me.

I'm not a "race politics" kind of guy, but the stakes here literally could be life and death -especially in states which have concealed or open-carry laws. The fact that this isn't explicitly clear to -specifically- black teenagers is astonishing to me. They literally have THE MOST to loose in this.

And if you disagree with me, fine. If you want to argue about how what I'm saying ought not to be the case, that's fine too. I'm telling you how it will turn out; what is -not wishfully thinking about how people should respond to things like this.

I agree with you but i have to point out that everytime you put "loose" i think you meant "lose"
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:01:53 PM
At 12/2/2013 4:00:51 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

-----

-----
-----

I agree with you but i have to point out that everytime you put "loose" i think you meant "lose"

Indeed.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:04:45 PM
At 12/2/2013 4:01:53 PM, YYW wrote:

-----

-----
-----

Indeed.

Its one of my big grammar peeves
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:05:43 PM
At 12/2/2013 4:04:45 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

-----

-----
-----

Indeed.

No worries. When Noumena uses "yer" instead of "your" or "you're" it drives me out of my mind. So, I sympathize.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:06:53 PM
I actually pronounce "loose" and "lose" the same, though.... which could be the reason why the error never sticks out to me.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:18:09 PM
At 12/2/2013 4:05:43 PM, YYW wrote:

-----

-----
-----

Indeed.

No worries. When Noumena uses "yer" instead of "your" or "you're" it drives me out of my mind. So, I sympathize.

Anti-atheist uses "u" instead of "you" all the time and it makes me want to punch the guy aside from all the other things
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:18:55 PM
At 12/2/2013 4:06:53 PM, YYW wrote:
I actually pronounce "loose" and "lose" the same, though.... which could be the reason why the error never sticks out to me.

And I sometimes misspell peoples names, even if their names are only just letters. Like YYW. It's a little like misspelling TV. Or DVD.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:21:15 PM
At 12/2/2013 4:18:09 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

-----

-----
-----

Indeed.

Anti-atheist uses "u" instead of "you" all the time and it makes me want to punch the guy aside from all the other things

I'd just like to see Anti-Atheist thrashed with a cat o' nine tails...
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:24:16 PM
At 12/2/2013 4:21:15 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/2/2013 4:18:09 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

-----

-----
-----

Indeed.

I'd just like to see Anti-Atheist thrashed with a cat o' nine tails...

I'd like to see that and then have the cat scratch him crazy
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 5:15:10 PM
I'd be interested to see more people's comments on this.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:41:47 PM

-----

-----
-----

What implications do you derive from this observation? I mean, so what?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 10:32:48 PM
The worst part is that these cowards attack in mobs, so the victims have no opportunities to defend themselves. I'm not speaking in jest when I say that anyone involved in cowardly assaulting a person in a group should be whipped publicly.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 12:41:38 AM
At 12/2/2013 10:32:48 PM, thett3 wrote:
The worst part is that these cowards attack in mobs, so the victims have no opportunities to defend themselves.

I think the worst part is that potentially fatal violence (someone has died from this) is thought of as a game. That whole mindset is...disturbing.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 12:12:23 PM
At 12/2/2013 10:32:48 PM, thett3 wrote:
The worst part is that these cowards attack in mobs, so the victims have no opportunities to defend themselves. I'm not speaking in jest when I say that anyone involved in cowardly assaulting a person in a group should be whipped publicly.

Maybe not publicly whipped, but something pretty severe...
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 12:13:29 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:41:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

-----

-----
-----

Nonwhite adolescents who participate in the knock out game are hurting all nonwhite adolescents by perpetuating a negative sociocultrual stigma.
Tsar of DDO
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 1:51:41 PM
There is such a game? What the.... (Insert whatever comes to your mind)

Seriously, I never knew of such a game. This is just, to put it bluntly, a really, REALLY, bad Idea.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 3:05:24 PM
At 12/3/2013 12:13:29 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/2/2013 6:41:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

-----

-----
-----

Nonwhite adolescents who participate in the knock out game are hurting all nonwhite adolescents by perpetuating a negative sociocultrual stigma.

They shouldn't be doing it anyway, though.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 3:24:53 PM
Teens couldn't care less about consequences, and blacks and/or poor ones even less (or so it appears).

It is a really damaging thing that should be addressed in their respective communities, since if minorities (especially blacks) are doing it, it serves as a wonderful reminder of the stereotype that blacks are violent, and not just violent, but violence that is sociopathic in nature (as opposed to violent because one is angry).
My work here is, finally, done.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 5:42:36 PM
Has the liberal media brought up this topic? Or is it yet another non-worthy piece of news because the victim isn't a minority? Hmm - tough one.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 7:04:43 PM
At 12/3/2013 3:05:24 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This is strange coming from someone with a Rand avatar.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 7:07:08 PM
At 12/3/2013 3:24:53 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Teens couldn't care less about consequences, and blacks and/or poor ones even less (or so it appears).

It is a really damaging thing that should be addressed in their respective communities, since if minorities (especially blacks) are doing it, it serves as a wonderful reminder of the stereotype that blacks are violent, and not just violent, but violence that is sociopathic in nature (as opposed to violent because one is angry).

I'd like to point out to you that YW didn't actually claim it was "blacks" who were randomly attacking people; it's minorities who are doing so, and are the majority of who are reported for doing it.

"Whites" have, of course, participated in this game, and more than likely, a much larger proportion than what is reported on the media.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 7:09:31 PM
Re: The OP

Perhaps you're underestimating those teenagers' capacity for resentfully acting out due to philosophical perspectives based on current events.

In other words, perhaps you have it backwards -- perhaps it's the fact that the media represents youth in the way they do, and minorities more so, and perhaps also its the fact that youth and minority youth appear less protected by the law than others (leading to people getting away with murdering one), that has led teenagers to give American society exact what it's accusing them of, and what they perceive society deserves.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 8:15:18 PM
At 12/6/2013 7:04:43 PM, Such wrote:

Why?
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 9:48:05 PM
At 12/6/2013 8:15:18 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Why?

Well, for one thing, and not the only thing, "should."
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 3:10:44 AM
At 12/6/2013 7:07:08 PM, Such wrote:
At 12/3/2013 3:24:53 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I'd like to point out to you that YW didn't actually claim it was "blacks" who were randomly attacking people; it's minorities who are doing so, and are the majority of who are reported for doing it.

"Whites" have, of course, participated in this game, and more than likely, a much larger proportion than what is reported on the media.

My bad.
That is how I heard it reported (referring to why Jesse Jackson and Sharpton aren't demonizing it), and when I think of the word minorities, I think "black". I did not mean to offend, nor insinuate that only blacks were playing this "game", but, IMO, only blacks' image would be hurt by this "game", as the stereotype for violence seems to be largely blacks. I am unaware of other races' violent stereotypes (except for whites being serial killers)
My work here is, finally, done.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 9:00:49 AM
At 12/6/2013 9:48:05 PM, Such wrote:

Why?

lol I said shouldn't. Objectivists aren't ambivalent to random acts of aggression.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 9:03:13 AM
At 12/7/2013 9:00:49 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/6/2013 9:48:05 PM, Such wrote:

Why?

lol I said shouldn't. Objectivists aren't ambivalent to random acts of aggression.

I meant they aren't indifferent.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2013 1:06:47 AM
These guys are clearly psychopaths that care about no one but themselves, they simply don't care. It's fun, cool, gets them recognition and thats all that's important to them. One incident involved a 76 year old lady http://www.nydailynews.com..., only psycopaths could do that. There does seem to be an element of anti-semitism involved (from the fact that a disproportionate # the victims are jewish) but I think the main impetus is notoriety.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 7:31:33 PM
You know, if someone tried to knock me out as part of a game, and I was lucky enough to catch them before they hit me, I'd probably beat them into the street until they got run over by a car. That may be a little overboard, but I think they would get what's coming. To punch someone is one thing, to punch random people as part of a game is another.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"