Jump to topic:

Over-sensitive world

Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 4:20:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is it just me, or is the entire planet starting to go Nazi-strict on what is or isn't socially acceptable to poke fun at?
Between the Mohammad cartoons to the blackface Jackson 5 impersonation on Australian television, it seems we can't satirize anything these days without having to publicly apologize for 'offending' some sort of racial, religious or cultural group.
What ever happened to the stance on everything being acceptable to make comedic light of, or nothing at all?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 4:32:35 AM
At 1/7/2010 4:20:36 AM, Metallicker wrote:
Is it just me, or is the entire planet starting to go Nazi-strict on what is or isn't socially acceptable to poke fun at?
Between the Mohammad cartoons to the blackface Jackson 5 impersonation on Australian television, it seems we can't satirize anything these days without having to publicly apologize for 'offending' some sort of racial, religious or cultural group.
What ever happened to the stance on everything being acceptable to make comedic light of, or nothing at all?

It's not new at all. The same eggshell mentality has been in effect for some years. :)
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 4:44:22 AM
You would agree that its getting more and more stringent though? I would have thought that seeing as everyone wants their so called 'right to free speech', the general community would begin to ease up on the sensitivity rather than take offense to increasing amounts of harmless satire.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 5:12:12 AM
At 1/7/2010 4:44:22 AM, Metallicker wrote:
You would agree that its getting more and more stringent though? I would have thought that seeing as everyone wants their so called 'right to free speech', the general community would begin to ease up on the sensitivity rather than take offense to increasing amounts of harmless satire.

Not exactly. The fear of being labelled sexist/racist etc., far exceeds those that actually are. Public opinion is a valuable asset for organisations and pandering to public outcry has a notorious history. It may appear more prevalent with recent instances occurring together making the case salient.

Of course the rhetoric is not just levelled at satire, it occurs also at the level of word usage itself. Blackboards, Masters degrees for example have also come under recent scrutiny as artifacts of racism and sexism respectively.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:52:05 AM
Don't like how someone uses their freedom of speech? Use your freedom of speech against them. If you can't counter it don't sue them or have their freedom of speech restricted.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 11:08:02 AM
It's my opinion that this over-sensitivity problem can be slowly cured by having the people, like me, that don't care what others think of them express their opinions.

I realize that this likely would not solve the problem, but it is a start.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:13:19 PM
I'm with Metallicker on this one. It's getting f*cking ridiculous.

It was Trey Parker or Matt Stone who said this, and I couldn't agree more. If every joke which was liable to offend someone went unsaid, there would be no humour. Needless to say, this would suck nards.

Blackboards, Masters degrees for example have also come under recent scrutiny as artifacts of racism and sexism respectively.

Blackboards? Seriously? They are f*cking black! What the hell else are we supposed to call them? There will come a time, mark my words, where we won't even be able to say "I did a sh*t before and it was brown" without some over-sensitive t*t crying that I was insulting brown people. It's really getting out of control.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:20:10 PM
At 1/7/2010 6:17:32 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
The Law of Comedy: All humor is necessarily at someone else's expense. Deal with it.

Amen.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:22:24 PM
Sure, there is over-sensitivity out there, but there's just certain things that shouldn't be joked about or mocked within certain groups of people. Joking about the holocaust around Jewish victims most likely wouldn't be acceptable, for example just like joking about slavery with blacks probably isn't acceptable either.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:25:39 PM
At 1/7/2010 6:22:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Sure, there is over-sensitivity out there, but there's just certain things that shouldn't be joked about or mocked within certain groups of people. Joking about the holocaust around Jewish victims most likely wouldn't be acceptable, for example just like joking about slavery with blacks probably isn't acceptable either.

I can understand Holocaust jokes around actual victims, but making jokes around it about Jewish people in general is fine; furthermore, how many black people (in this generation, mind you) do you suppose were subject to slavery here? As far as I can guess, none; ergo, their taking offense to jokes about slavery isn't my fault. It's not like I'm walking up to them and saying "Here's a nickel - shine my shoes, n*gger."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:26:28 PM
At 1/7/2010 6:25:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I can understand Holocaust jokes around actual victims, but making jokes about it around Jewish people in general is fine; furthermore, how many black people (in this generation, mind you) do you suppose were subject to slavery here? As far as I can guess, none; ergo, their taking offense to jokes about slavery isn't my fault. It's not like I'm walking up to them and saying "Here's a nickel - shine my shoes, n*gger."

Fixed.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:28:16 PM

Ok, but there is always the option to change the channel or not read a certain book. Take the Salman Rushdie fiasco... if you're Muslim, don't read books which you're likely to find offensive (I'm not singling you out btw, the Rushdie situation is just a good example). And if you do happen to accidentally read one, don't f*cking murder someone because it offended you.

Of course it's not acceptable to lock a Jewish person in a room and make light of the Holocaust... but nor is it acceptable to select which jokes are "good" and which jokes are "bad" based upon your own prejudices and preferences. Turn the TV off if you see something likely to offend you, it's simple.

Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 12:35:23 AM
At 1/7/2010 5:12:12 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 4:44:22 AM, Metallicker wrote:

Not exactly. The fear of being labelled sexist/racist etc., far exceeds those that actually are. Public opinion is a valuable asset for organisations and pandering to public outcry has a notorious history. It may appear more prevalent with recent instances occurring together making the case salient.

Of course the rhetoric is not just levelled at satire, it occurs also at the level of word usage itself. Blackboards, Masters degrees for example have also come under recent scrutiny as artifacts of racism and sexism respectively.

Not to mention both nursery rhymes and Santa coming under scrutiny. Seriously, don't you think its getting a little out of hand?
How many people can honestly attest to ever being even slightly offended at Santa's jolly laugh? I haven't met one, nevertheless, it's being altered to adhere increasingly ridiculous standards of what is politically correct.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
http://www.news.com.au...

At 1/7/2010 6:13:19 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Blackboards? Seriously? They are f*cking black! What the hell else are we supposed to call them? There will come a time, mark my words, where we won't even be able to say "I did a sh*t before and it was brown" without some over-sensitive t*t crying that I was insulting brown people. It's really getting out of control.

My thoughts exactly. How long before the term blood-red becomes synonymous with a racial slur, used to insinuate that native americans are uncultured savages?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 12:38:51 AM

Blackboards? Seriously? They are f*cking black! What the hell else are we supposed to call them?

Chalkboards. :P
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 12:41:51 AM
At 1/8/2010 12:35:23 AM, Metallicker wrote:

Not to mention both nursery rhymes and Santa coming under scrutiny. Seriously, don't you think its getting a little out of hand?

Haha.

http://www.news.com.au...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 12:49:39 AM
At 1/8/2010 12:46:30 AM, Metallicker wrote:
Haha f*ck man when will this insane PC end?

When saying PC becomes unacceptable? :D
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:48:17 PM
At 1/8/2010 12:38:51 AM, Puck wrote:

Blackboards? Seriously? They are f*cking black! What the hell else are we supposed to call them?

People still use chalk? What the deuce? LOL We actually use WHITEBOARDS haha with WHITEBOARD markers, I suppose that's racist too, because WHITEboards are better than BLACKboards lmao

In all seriousness though, I think it's easy to say people are being overly sensitive when you're not the one being targeted. I also think it's funny that when people who aren't normally targeted DO experience what others have been experiencing their whole lives, they like to cry "reverse-racism" and "reverse-sexism" when those terms are racist and sexist toward women and minorities in themselves. *shrug* Society sucks as a whole. That's my two cents.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 11:28:11 PM
At 1/8/2010 12:38:51 AM, Puck wrote:

That's offensive to both chalk and boards. Not acceptable. :D

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 2:21:42 AM

Nursery rhymes are continously being sanitised, for example Georgie Porgie:

NOW:
Georgie Porgie pudding and pie,
Kissed the girls and made them cry
When the boys came out to play,
Georgie Porgie ran away

BEFORE:
Raped the girls and made them cry
Georgie Porgie suddenly turned gay
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 3:30:06 AM
I agree but, hinting rascism or joking about rascism on public TV(ADS) is low. You can be rascist as much as you like on K*K forums(is the Klan allowed on this site?) or make jokes on youtube.

The Johnathan Ross, Russel Brand fisasco was funny.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:29:15 AM
At 1/9/2010 2:21:42 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Nursery rhymes are continously being sanitised, for example Georgie Porgie:

NOW:
Kissed the girls and made them cry
Georgie Porgie ran away

BEFORE:
Raped the girls and made them cry
Georgie Porgie suddenly turned gay

LOL, Nice.

But no, It's always been the former. [In Case anyone references it]
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Discipulus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 6:15:49 PM
At 1/7/2010 4:20:36 AM, Metallicker wrote:

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

It is a hard world out there for a libertarian.