Jump to topic:

So about that six year old

TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 5:48:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Apparently there was a six year old kid who kissed a girl on the cheek in class. He was charged with sexual harassment and got suspended from school.

Was this a just punishment?

Please, discuss.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 6:32:22 PM
At 12/10/2013 5:48:27 PM, TheOncomingStorm wrote:
Apparently there was a six year old kid who kissed a girl on the cheek in class. He was charged with sexual harassment and got suspended from school.

Please, discuss.

Nothing all that sexual about kissing. Its' origins are hypothesized to be an imitation of how birds pre-chew their food before giving it to their young, and that is lip-on-lip kissing. Lip-on-cheek kissing is considered a welcoming in some cultures and is thereby even more removed from sexuality than lip-on-lip kissing. Not to mention that it is a prepubescent child, so you can't argue anything related to sexual harassment when it's child on child.

It's hard to get less just than this. Maybe if they hugged it would be less just, but there isn't much less justification than the situation you just described.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 6:34:31 PM
At 12/10/2013 6:32:22 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Please, discuss.

Nothing all that sexual about kissing. Its' origins are hypothesized to be an imitation of how birds pre-chew their food before giving it to their young, and that is lip-on-lip kissing. Lip-on-cheek kissing is considered a welcoming in some cultures and is thereby even more removed from sexuality than lip-on-lip kissing. Not to mention that it is a prepubescent child, so you can't argue anything related to sexual harassment when it's child on child.

It's hard to get less just than this. Maybe if they hugged it would be less just, but there isn't much less justification than the situation you just described.

Agreed. I honestly want to see the reasoning behind someone who might agree that this should've happened.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 10:26:50 PM
Here's some more public school wisdom for ya. Kids got suspended for a YEAR because they played with airsoft guns on their parents property. http://www.theblaze.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 11:54:25 PM
At 12/10/2013 11:52:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
It's not ok to kiss someone without informed consent. I think that this punishment is perfectly acceptable.

Clearly trolling, but I'll respond srsly regardless.

The girl claimed to be fine with the kiss. She likes him back.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 11:56:53 PM
It's not ok to kiss someone without informed consent. I think that this punishment is perfectly acceptable.

No, it's not. Children are very affectionate and nowhere in the story was it said that the girl receiving the kiss didn't want it. This kind of think is best dealt with by a "We don't do that in class/to people who don't want us to" talk. Kids dont know right from wrong. Throwing them out of school is going to do nothing but harm them. Although given the insanity that public schools are exhibiting now perhaps kicking them out is the best thing you can do.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 12:00:49 AM
At 12/10/2013 11:54:25 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Where is the source for this?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 12:02:50 AM
At 12/10/2013 11:56:53 PM, thett3 wrote:

No, it's not. Children are very affectionate
Kind of a stereotype.
and nowhere in the story was it said that the girl receiving the kiss didn't want it.
That doesn't mean that she didn't want it. I assume that the school knows more about this than we do. I wouldn't really count that as consent since her prefrontal cortex hasn't even formed properly.
This kind of think is best dealt with by a "We don't do that in class/to people who don't want us to" talk. Kids dont know right from wrong. Throwing them out of school is going to do nothing but harm them. Although given the insanity that public schools are exhibiting now perhaps kicking them out is the best thing you can do.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 12:06:00 AM
At 12/11/2013 12:02:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Kind of a stereotype.

Also kind of true.

and nowhere in the story was it said that the girl receiving the kiss didn't want it.
That doesn't mean that she didn't want it. I assume that the school knows more about this than we do. I wouldn't really count that as consent since her prefrontal cortex hasn't even formed properly.

So her parents cant kiss her either, eh? Your prefrontal cortex doesn't even develop fully until you are 25. I don't think we can trust the schools judgement since public schools have shown themselves, time and time again, to be stunningly and inexcusably incompetent when it comes to discipline.

This kind of think is best dealt with by a "We don't do that in class/to people who don't want us to" talk. Kids dont know right from wrong. Throwing them out of school is going to do nothing but harm them. Although given the insanity that public schools are exhibiting now perhaps kicking them out is the best thing you can do.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 12:12:28 AM
At 12/11/2013 12:00:49 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

http://www.seattlepi.com...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 12:55:49 AM

Please, discuss.

Ryuu's article claims that the boy didn't kiss her on the cheek, he kissed her on the hand. So...my opinion on this will be pretty obvious.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 7:00:08 AM
At 12/11/2013 12:12:28 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

LOOOOL, thanks for trolling. Did you think I wouldn't check your source?

"First grader Hunter Yelton told KRDO-TV (http://tinyurl.com...) that he has a crush on a girl at school and she likes him back."

So they never actually asked the female student if she likes him back. That was just his interpretation of it. They never asked her if she was ok with it. That was just his interpretation of it. LOL. Guys aren't the center of the universe. Nice try.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 7:46:18 AM
I once slapped my dick off a girl's face without her consent. Left a big dick-print across her makeup, LOL.

Disclaimer: The above is not true, only written for entertainment purposes. Also, she liked it.
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 8:12:57 AM

That was in the news report.
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 8:15:30 AM
At 12/11/2013 12:55:49 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Please, discuss.

Ryuu's article claims that the boy didn't kiss her on the cheek, he kissed her on the hand. So...my opinion on this will be pretty obvious.

Perhaps I heard wrong. I wrote this immediately after hearing it, and I thought I'd heard cheek. That's my bad.
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 8:17:34 AM

Kind of a stereotype.

" 'For most 6-year-old boys, absolutely. That would be a normal behavior,' said Sandy Wurtele, a child clinical psychologist who specializes in child sexual development and the prevention of childhood sexual abuse."

That's from the Seattle pi article.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 8:38:53 AM

Well, I think what we need to remember here is that he is six years old. It seems pretty extreme that sexual harassment will be on his record for kissing a girl's hand.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
AngstChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 9:09:00 AM
Horrendously unjust and an over reach on the part of ZERO TOLERANCE (read zero common sense) administrators. Had he kissed a boy however, he'd be hailed as a national hero. No, Im not mocking gays, but that is the stupidity of our media and state these days.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 9:33:59 AM
At 12/11/2013 7:00:08 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

"First grader Hunter Yelton told KRDO-TV (http://tinyurl.com...) that he has a crush on a girl at school and she likes him back."

So they never actually asked the female student if she likes him back. That was just his interpretation of it. They never asked her if she was ok with it. That was just his interpretation of it. LOL. Guys aren't the center of the universe. Nice try.

Well, would you call it rape if the girl liked it in the end, and therefore never called the police? No, you wouldn't, because the victim didn't consider it rape, and therefore it this PG rated version of the same scenario, you wouldn't call sexual harassment. Not to mention the rest of my argument from my first post on this topic.

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:02:23 AM

I wouldn't really count that as consent since her prefrontal cortex hasn't even formed properly.

Then why should the boy be punished, if he clearly didn't have any way to form the mens rea to commit a crime against her, due to the same deficiency in brain capacity?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:04:12 AM
What I find odd is the "charge" of harassment.
It is not assualt, it is harassment, which ought to be a pattern of behavior.
Perhaps this boy was harassing her in the sense that he kept disrupting class to woo her, regardless if she liked it or not.

I do think there is more to this than is reported; however, to be honest, I hadn't read either source.
My work here is, finally, done.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 4:36:38 PM
Someone who is pre-puberty accused of sexual harassment? Wow. Maybe they'll request a hormone test if they enter court.

A cheek kiss can obviously be a sign of affection as within different cultures. Either that or the kid copied someone else.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:24:05 PM
At 12/11/2013 8:12:57 AM, TheOncomingStorm wrote:

That was in the news report.

No, it wasn't. The news report said that the boy said the girl liked him back. The girl never said that.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:31:32 PM
At 12/11/2013 9:33:59 AM, themohawkninja wrote:

Well, would you call it rape if the girl liked it in the end,
1. Great, another disgusting, teenaged rape apologist with poor life skills. I'm going to interact with you exactly once and then I'm going to ignore you just like I ignore the other rape apologists.

2. The definition of rape is about consent, and not about "like". If I like eating pizza and you shove it down my throat without my consent, that is immoral. It doesn't matter how much I like it. I can like something a lot and still have the right to say "no".

3. Nobody likes to be raped. The fact that you said such disgusting nonsense proves that you are a rape apologist. I sincerely hope that everything that you want to happen to others happens to you tenfold.
and therefore never called the police?
People don't call the police because the police don't do anything, destroy the evidence, and rarely secure convictions. Not to mention the fact that the victims are shamed by society and told that they have no right to "ruin the perp's lives over one incident". This was all verified in the Steubenville, Ohio case and is documented by the media outlets. Google it. Of course, you won't, because you have to preserve your rape apologist views (that is your defense mechanism, to the fact that no girls like you).
No, you wouldn't, because the victim didn't consider it rape
See above. Just because the victim does not go to the police does not mean she does not consider it rape. I suppose that bullied children who don't go to the school administrators because they won't do anything to protect them secretly like being bullied and don't consider the bullying to be real, right? And I suppose that is also why they end up committing suicide, right? Because they secretly enjoyed the bullying so much that they had to end their lives after going through such a wonderful experience.

You are literally moronic.
, and therefore it this PG rated version of the same scenario, you wouldn't call sexual harassment. Not to mention the rest of my argument from my first post on this topic.

I don't really care about your idiotic nonsense. I hope someone puts you in the bullying situation above and that you are also told that you secretly liked it because nobody will help you and you have nobody to turn to. Go away, rape apologist.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 1:16:48 AM

Does the revelation that he kissed her on the hand change your opinion?

Lets assume the worst-case scenario, anyway. Lets say the boy had no indication that the girl was okay with the kiss. I'll make the same point Thett brought up: Why is suspension and allegations of sexual harassment (for a kiss on the hand) a better idea than calmly explaining to the kid that this isn't appropriate?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 10:33:13 AM
At 12/11/2013 11:31:32 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/11/2013 9:33:59 AM, themohawkninja wrote:

Well, would you call it rape if the girl liked it in the end,
1. Great, another disgusting, teenaged rape apologist with poor life skills. I'm going to interact with you exactly once and then I'm going to ignore you just like I ignore the other rape apologists.

1. Great, a misandrst. If you think apologizing about rape is bad, then I guess I won't feel sorry if and when you get raped.

2. The definition of rape is about consent, and not about "like". If I like eating pizza and you shove it down my throat without my consent, that is immoral. It doesn't matter how much I like it. I can like something a lot and still have the right to say "no".

2. If you like the pizza in the end, then it becomes consensual. You can still say 'no' to that which you like, but in this case, the 'no' never happened, and only an implied 'yes' was given, and therefore it was consensual.

3. Nobody likes to be raped. The fact that you said such disgusting nonsense proves that you are a rape apologist. I sincerely hope that everything that you want to happen to others happens to you tenfold.

Technically speaking, there are people who like rape, and I can account for both sides of that fetish.

and therefore never called the police?
People don't call the police because the police don't do anything, destroy the evidence, and rarely secure convictions. Not to mention the fact that the victims are shamed by society and told that they have no right to "ruin the perp's lives over one incident". This was all verified in the Steubenville, Ohio case and is documented by the media outlets. Google it. Of course, you won't, because you have to preserve your rape apologist views (that is your defense mechanism, to the fact that no girls like you).

Straw manning and ad hominem!

Rapes that end with no consent aren't reported because the police can't do anything. Rapes that end with consent aren't reported because the person liked it in the end, and sees no crime committed. Also, I have had girls like me, and calling it a defense mechanism is (A) false (B) insulting and (C) makes no sense.

No, you wouldn't, because the victim didn't consider it rape
See above. Just because the victim does not go to the police does not mean she does not consider it rape. I suppose that bullied children who don't go to the school administrators because they won't do anything to protect them secretly like being bullied and don't consider the bullying to be real, right? And I suppose that is also why they end up committing suicide, right? Because they secretly enjoyed the bullying so much that they had to end their lives after going through such a wonderful experience.

It is possible that a person being bullied might enjoy the bullying, as that is a possibility, however in the majority of cases, they don't go to the school administrator, because they lack the coping skills to do so, and the suicide in the end result of that lack of coping skills.

You are literally moronic.

More baseless insults.

, and therefore it this PG rated version of the same scenario, you wouldn't call sexual harassment. Not to mention the rest of my argument from my first post on this topic.

I don't really care about your idiotic nonsense. I hope someone puts you in the bullying situation above and that you are also told that you secretly liked it because nobody will help you and you have nobody to turn to. Go away, rape apologist.

I've been bullied before and got over it, because I know how to cope with my problems. Let me once again say that if you honestly feel that a person who feels sorry for a rape is a bad person, then in the event you get raped, I won't feel sorry about it, since that is what you seem to wish.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 2:26:46 PM
At 12/10/2013 6:32:22 PM, themohawkninja wrote:=
Nothing all that sexual about kissing.
You're kissing wrong.

But... I would've been in this kid's shoes at six years old. Except it wasn't on the hand, or the cheek.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 7:10:43 PM

So it's ok for a six year old to be labeled a sex offender because he kissed a girl's hand?

Wow, I cannot believe I live in the days where it's bad to be a gentleman. At least he didn't try to kiss her on the lips. This kid was probably doing what he's seen on TV, what he's seen his parents do, etc etc. So what if he's six? He probably doesn't know any better, that isn't his fault.

In fact, I give this kid props for getting some earlier in his life than practically everyone on earth!
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"