Jump to topic:

The Singularity is Evil, Stop It

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 7:19:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yesterday, I heard a radio host screaming wildly about the idea of man merging with machine. He claimed that machines would be controlling us and we would be deactivated(I.E killed) when we dissented from the state's wishes.

I don't agree at all but I want to hear what some people think about the coming of the Singlularity.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 7:25:46 PM
I swear, ever since the idea of artificial intelligence came into the heads of sci-fi authors, people seem to think that robots will be the end of us all.

You people need to understand that a robot will never do what it isn't programmed to do. Complex programs don't result in complex glitches. Unless we program something that is sentient and has it's own power source, we can always unplug it, and even if it has it's own power source, it won't get very far until somebody shoots it.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 7:36:17 PM
At 12/15/2013 7:25:46 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
I swear, ever since the idea of artificial intelligence came into the heads of sci-fi authors, people seem to think that robots will be the end of us all.

You people need to understand that a robot will never do what it isn't programmed to do. Complex programs don't result in complex glitches. Unless we program something that is sentient and has it's own power source, we can always unplug it, and even if it has it's own power source, it won't get very far until somebody shoots it.

Agreed.

But the Singularity is when man and machine merge. The radio host was claiming the government would be able to shut our brains down since we are merged with machines. I called in to tell him otherwise but he just cut me off.

If your merged with a machine I would not recommend unplugging it.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 7:44:58 PM
At 12/15/2013 7:36:17 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 12/15/2013 7:25:46 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Agreed.

But the Singularity is when man and machine merge. The radio host was claiming the government would be able to shut our brains down since we are merged with machines. I called in to tell him otherwise but he just cut me off.

What he said is certainly possible, as in some hypothetical dystopian future America the government could have passed legislation to mandate that all of these cyborgs/implants/whatever-is-the-result-of-the-singularity have some sort of remote shutoff switch that the CIA/FBI/NSA could control.

That being said, I would like to emphasize my use of the term hypothetical, as chances are that while I can see remote shutoffs being designed as a sort of manual override switch for the user, I highly doubt the government would have constant full control over such switches. Such switches would be relegated to only be used by the user.

If your merged with a machine I would not recommend unplugging it.

It all depends on just what is merged with machinery and for how long.

Something like a neural implant that would go into the brain would require surgery for safe removal, and after a certain number of years, the brain would have most likely grown around the implant, making any attempt at surgery fraught with a high-risk of death.

On the other hand, something like Luke Skywalker's cybernetic hand would be much less dangerous, as turning that off would simply mean that said hand is unusable, and the surgery to remove it would have very little chance of killing the patient.

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:02:53 PM
At 12/15/2013 7:44:58 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

What he said is certainly possible, as in some hypothetical dystopian future America the government could have passed legislation to mandate that all of these cyborgs/implants/whatever-is-the-result-of-the-singularity have some sort of remote shutoff switch that the CIA/FBI/NSA could control.

That being said, I would like to emphasize my use of the term hypothetical, as chances are that while I can see remote shutoffs being designed as a sort of manual override switch for the user, I highly doubt the government would have constant full control over such switches. Such switches would be relegated to only be used by the user.
Well, I would wonder why such switches would exist anyways. There is more than a level of danger if you can just flip a switch to kill someone or impair their cerebrum. The radio host was not claiming the usage of literal switches. He was saying that the government could use an electromagnetic pulse to shut down the machines to kill us. I don't know how legally this would even be permissible, it seemed like a conspiracy.

Something like a neural implant that would go into the brain would require surgery for safe removal, and after a certain number of years, the brain would have most likely grown around the implant, making any attempt at surgery fraught with a high-risk of death.

A neural implant is more likely. All things of significance in the human anatomy relate back to the cerebrum.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:19:32 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:02:53 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 12/15/2013 7:44:58 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Well, I would wonder why such switches would exist anyways. There is more than a level of danger if you can just flip a switch to kill someone or impair their cerebrum. The radio host was not claiming the usage of literal switches. He was saying that the government could use an electromagnetic pulse to shut down the machines to kill us. I don't know how legally this would even be permissible, it seemed like a conspiracy.

An EMP set off high enough in the atmosphere to destroy all neural implants in the continental U.S. would wipe out every computer in the continental U.S. as well. Every laptop, desktop, supercomputer, and even the freaking stock market would go. The government would never do that.

Now then... some highly advanced anti-American terrorist group and/or the DPRK might try that, but our government certainly wouldn't. It would be economic and foreign relations suicide, not to mention that the government would lose all of their valuable taxpayers.

A neural implant is more likely. All things of significance in the human anatomy relate back to the cerebrum.

Ah, but we have already made prosthetic limbs, so chances are that those would be the first, since they are proven technology.

If you really want a scare when it comes to hacking the human body, a security researcher (who is a diabetic) not only discovered that his insulin pump (which is connected via Bluetooth) is easy to access wirelessly, but was able to turn off and on his own pump at will: (http://venturebeat.com...). Another team of people managed to hack a pacemaker: (http://venturebeat.com...).

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:43:34 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:19:32 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

An EMP set off high enough in the atmosphere to destroy all neural implants in the continental U.S. would wipe out every computer in the continental U.S. as well. Every laptop, desktop, supercomputer, and even the freaking stock market would go. The government would never do that.

Now then... some highly advanced anti-American terrorist group and/or the DPRK might try that, but our government certainly wouldn't. It would be economic and foreign relations suicide, not to mention that the government would lose all of their valuable taxpayers.

Exactly what I thought. I didn't think the EMP radius could be minimized to get individuals. Individuals can't be targeted as the host was proclaiming.
If you really want a scare when it comes to hacking the human body, a security researcher (who is a diabetic) not only discovered that his insulin pump (which is connected via Bluetooth) is easy to access wirelessly, but was able to turn off and on his own pump at will: (http://venturebeat.com...). Another team of people managed to hack a pacemaker: (http://venturebeat.com...).

Not surprised they could hack a pacemaker. I have read much worse. Imagine if someone's heart defibrillator was hacked. If I recall correctly, an article was saying earlier this year Dick Cheney's heart defibrillator could of been hacked by terrorists.

http://arstechnica.com...
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:50:00 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:43:34 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 12/15/2013 8:19:32 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Exactly what I thought. I didn't think the EMP radius could be minimized to get individuals. Individuals can't be targeted as the host was proclaiming.

You can target only one person, it's just that you can't target a massive amount of people at one time without frying every single computer within the EMP's radius.

Not surprised they could hack a pacemaker. I have read much worse. Imagine if someone's heart defibrillator was hacked. If I recall correctly, an article was saying earlier this year Dick Cheney's heart defibrillator could of been hacked by terrorists.

http://arstechnica.com...

Just wait. Once bionic arms stop costing $50k, there's going to be that guy that hacks an arm just so he can go "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself...".

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 9:24:06 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:50:00 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
You can target only one person, it's just that you can't target a massive amount of people at one time without frying every single computer within the EMP's radius.

Wow, maybe what the guy was saying was right if you can target individuals with an EMP. But that is still not enough of a reason to stop the Singularity.

Just wait. Once bionic arms stop costing $50k, there's going to be that guy that hacks an arm just so he can go "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself...".
No. Just......No.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 9:27:35 PM
At 12/15/2013 9:24:06 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 12/15/2013 8:50:00 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Wow, maybe what the guy was saying was right if you can target individuals with an EMP. But that is still not enough of a reason to stop the Singularity.

It's still not a real problem, as the only EMPs I know of either come from large structures purpose built for EMPs, and nuclear bombs.