Jump to topic:

New twist to same-sex marriage...

SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 2:40:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem filed a legal opinion last week confirming that the state does not recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages, allowing a man married to another man to come to North Dakota and marry a woman without divorcing his husband.

What are your thoughts. Is this polygamy. Obviously, not in North Dakota.

Read more... http://www.breitbart.com...
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 6:44:40 PM
At 12/17/2013 2:40:36 PM, SemperVI wrote:
North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem filed a legal opinion last week confirming that the state does not recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages, allowing a man married to another man to come to North Dakota and marry a woman without divorcing his husband.

It's more like serial sexuality.
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 7:17:46 PM
At 12/17/2013 6:44:40 PM, CarefulNow wrote:

Ha ha, or confused sexuality.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 7:23:52 PM

His legal opinion does not mean anything. Wait till it gets to the courts and there is a ruling. Then the real results will be known.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2013 1:15:07 AM
At 12/17/2013 6:44:40 PM, CarefulNow wrote:

Lol. Can I put this under sexual orientation? Gay is much too pass".
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2013 12:24:21 PM

Without reading the link -I'm just not that interested- this is pretty funny. I suppose the health care situation in that case would be interesting.

I've only been to North Dakota one time, though. I'll be content never to go back....
Tsar of DDO
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 12:45:01 AM

No this might be serious. I want to wait and see what happens, obviously, but this MIGHT turn into a "thing."

Because N Dakota is setting up legally binding poly marriages! They are trying to practice gender and orientation discrimination, by saying that certain genders can't get married, because of the gay and all that... but by doing so they are also making it possible to have two legally binding unions at the same time... I almost hope the ruling gets upheld.

No I don't, but I almost nearly do.
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 12:49:59 AM
At 12/19/2013 12:45:01 AM, Beverlee wrote:

No this might be serious. I want to wait and see what happens, obviously, but this MIGHT turn into a "thing."

Because N Dakota is setting up legally binding poly marriages! They are trying to practice gender and orientation discrimination, by saying that certain genders can't get married, because of the gay and all that... but by doing so they are also making it possible to have two legally binding unions at the same time... I almost hope the ruling gets upheld.

"by saying certain genders can't get married" Genders plural? That would imply no one can get married. What do you mean?
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 10:46:15 AM
At 12/19/2013 12:49:59 AM, SemperVI wrote:

"by saying certain genders can't get married" Genders plural? That would imply no one can get married. What do you mean?

What I mean is that some people will be told they can't get a recognized marriage because of their gender. So if two women wanted to get married, they would be told that one of them are the wrong gender, and that one of them has to be a man or else no marriage. If she was a man, it would be no problem. And vice-versa... if two guys wanted to get married, one of them will be told that he is the wrong gender, and has to be replaced bya woman
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 12:01:08 PM
At 12/19/2013 10:46:15 AM, Beverlee wrote:
At 12/19/2013 12:49:59 AM, SemperVI wrote:

What I mean is that some people will be told they can't get a recognized marriage because of their gender. So if two women wanted to get married, they would be told that one of them are the wrong gender, and that one of them has to be a man or else no marriage. If she was a man, it would be no problem. And vice-versa... if two guys wanted to get married, one of them will be told that he is the wrong gender, and has to be replaced bya woman

Gotcha, and therein lies the twist. I agree with you. This could become a "thing" like you said. It is a can of worms waiting to be opened. How can a state that does not recognize same sex marriage prosecute a person who has multiple spouses. The feds will now allow joint filling of taxes between same sex marriages.

As silly it sounds, I am waiting for someone to marry a cat for the tax benefit alone. At some point, someone will want this challenged in court. It is the nature of our system.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 1:51:35 PM

It will fail.
It will be ruled polygamy.

Either licenses from other states are honored prima facea, or they are not.
Since the marriage license will be more than likely upheld to count in ND, then it will be ruled a polygamous marriage, and will be null and void, I assume.

As far as outside of the law, I suppose it is not polygamy, since I assume the men have gone their separate ways.
My work here is, finally, done.
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:41:58 PM
At 12/19/2013 1:51:35 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It will fail.

Since the marriage license will be more than likely upheld to count in ND, then it will be ruled a polygamous marriage, and will be null and void, I assume.

As far as outside of the law, I suppose it is not polygamy, since I assume the men have gone their separate ways.

Well, not so fast Mage, In order for the second marriage to be ruled polygamy, the court will have to rule the first same sex marriage is legally binding thereby acknowledging the legitimacy of same sex marriage. Something as of yet, N.D. is not willing to do.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 4:06:32 PM
At 12/19/2013 2:41:58 PM, SemperVI wrote:

It will fail.

Well, not so fast Mage, In order for the second marriage to be ruled polygamy, the court will have to rule the first same sex marriage is legally binding thereby acknowledging the legitimacy of same sex marriage. Something as of yet, N.D. is not willing to do.

With DOMA struck down (as it should be), North Dakota, while not allowing same sex marriges to occur in their state, will still have to acknowledge them from other states. Thus, this second marriage on the books cannot occur, because there is already one.

It is no different if this man had another wife in another state.
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 4:51:28 PM
At 12/19/2013 4:06:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It will fail.

With DOMA struck down (as it should be), North Dakota, while not allowing same sex marriges to occur in their state, will still have to acknowledge them from other states. Thus, this second marriage on the books cannot occur, because there is already one.

Mage, that is actually not true about being struck down. While I am not defending DOMA, the Defense of Marriage Act has not been repealed. The President has simply instructed the DOJ not to enforce it. This is not a legal repeal of the law. It is a temporary stay. Accordingly, DOMA is still law and the supreme court would recognize DOMA contrary to the DOJ's ignoring it.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 5:26:01 PM

Not that ND has a big population, but they are just setting themselves up for stupidity. The main issue is divorce. If a couple is not recognized they are married they then are not bound by any state requirements when a marriage is dissolved.

One partner leaves with all the money and the kids, there is no recourse the other partner can turn to. That is just stupid to create those types of situations just to make a religious anti homosexuality point.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 1:15:19 PM
At 12/19/2013 4:51:28 PM, SemperVI wrote:
At 12/19/2013 4:06:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It will fail.

Mage, that is actually not true about being struck down. While I am not defending DOMA, the Defense of Marriage Act has not been repealed. The President has simply instructed the DOJ not to enforce it. This is not a legal repeal of the law. It is a temporary stay. Accordingly, DOMA is still law and the supreme court would recognize DOMA contrary to the DOJ's ignoring it.

The issue is, federally speaking, it is polygamy in whatever state he married the man.
So, it is still polygamy, since federally, he has two spouses; however, I don't know if polygamy is a federal offense. It will make his tax return quite difficult, though.