Jump to topic:

Why is Nazism considered cool, but if you

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2013 10:10:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
side with the ideals of the Klan, or Christianity or paganism, you are looked down upon as a bigot?

Every now and then you'll find this teenage tomboy and her bro talking about cool things about Hitler.

You never find anyone talking about cool things regarding the KKK or paganism. Why?

Or if you support English or Danish imperialism you're seen a warmongering hater.
The term "Anglo-Saxon" has become something of a stigma too

Anyone care to explain?
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2013 10:12:03 PM
I get that you know the KKK, English and Danish empires did ten times worse things, but it's like so funny, lmao, because in today's society, those types of things and the people of those countries are so demonized to the point of outright comicalness. It's like if you watch a movie with them, the characters tend to be hilariously one-dimensional, with NO good qualities whatsoever.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 12:03:04 AM
Perhaps I just happen to run with a different crowd, but I don't personally know anyone who thinks Nazism is cool.
Debate.org Moderator
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 12:14:56 AM
At 12/30/2013 12:03:04 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Perhaps I just happen to run with a different crowd, but I don't personally know anyone who thinks Nazism is cool.

I concur
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 2:27:35 AM
I assume he means the people that speculate on Hitler so often and his actions, the people that heavily analyze them. I suppose it's because nazism and Hitler have been brought up Ad Nauseam, so it becomes easy to be de sensitized to it. Although I would disagree that the KKK and Danes did things 10x then the nazis, I would say it's the converse. I don't really see anyone thinking Hitler is 'cool' or an admirable person, certainly there are people who over speculate on him when he was just a man, a very misguided and bigoted one with too much power for his own good, but still just a man nonetheless. To me it's almost comforting to know that while hypothetically men can be more powerful then men, they all die the same, with a bullet between the eyes; that is the ultimate equalizer, that we all expereince death one way or another. In this case this man put one right to his own temple, so at the end of the day he was just a mortal man, too cowardly to even let the people he wronged, slaughtered and committed large scale atrocities against get their retribution, instead he had to take his own life. So he wasn't even an impressive man at that, just a coward and a decent rhetorician at the right place at the right time. No need to talk him up like a god and speculate on his every whim or move, I agree.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 7:38:40 AM
Turn around, go back.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 8:16:31 AM
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 10:59:37 AM
Like you'll find rappers glamorizing Hitler and saying "I go hard like Hitler." But the KKK and all of that in that world is not seen in a good way.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:10:59 AM
At 12/30/2013 10:59:37 AM, Adam2 wrote:
Like you'll find rappers glamorizing Hitler and saying "I go hard like Hitler." But the KKK and all of that in that world is not seen in a good way.

I could be wrong, but that sounds like Hitler is a guy you don't want to mess with, so being like him is to not mess with me. That is not at all saying Hitler was cool, plus, he is more wide known, and easier to say and rhyme, than KKK.
My work here is, finally, done.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:14:09 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:10:59 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I could be wrong, but that sounds like Hitler is a guy you don't want to mess with, so being like him is to not mess with me. That is not at all saying Hitler was cool, plus, he is more wide known, and easier to say and rhyme, than KKK.

Yeah but you'll find plenty of tshirts with Hitler and all of that. You'll never see people glorifying the Klan. I mean you ever do that in school, and they'll just laugh at you. But Nazism is seen as swag.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:16:02 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:14:09 AM, Adam2 wrote:

Yeah but you'll find plenty of tshirts with Hitler and all of that. You'll never see people glorifying the Klan. I mean you ever do that in school, and they'll just laugh at you. But Nazism is seen as swag.

It's also more well known.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:20:23 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:16:02 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

You can't deny that we're living a time when Nazism isn't as condemned as it used to be. It's not less well-known. In this country during Jim Crow every thing German was equated to Nazism.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:21:13 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:16:02 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Today not so much. Anything white people are embarassed by things like the Klan and imperialism. They'll side with Hitler or Mussolini and find them cool before they ever side with the Klan, at least in public.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:25:14 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:24:09 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Adam2, where do you live?
I know of no one that publically honors Hitler.

It's what I've seen online. One thing said "Real Nazis go hard." I've never seen anything from Klansmen that says that.
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 12:13:30 PM
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
jopo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:49:39 PM
At 12/30/2013 11:25:14 AM, Adam2 wrote:

It's what I've seen online. One thing said "Real Nazis go hard." I've never seen anything from Klansmen that says that.:

I think part of why you see that online is because Hitler/Nazis is something society is very familiar with and when going for "shock value" it is something that someone knows will poke a nerve to some degree (though I do think there is merit to the argument that we are somewhat desensitized to it). But I don't think that often when people say stuff like that they're actually attempting to truly glorify Hitler/Nazis, society as a whole has made a pretty clear decision that that's not something we support. While slightly outdated (just over 5 years) this article outlines a past issue that seems akin to this situation - http://www.nytimes.com... . A German video was released portraying Hitler's life, "Downfall", and people took to making internet spoofs that used Hitler as a medium to poke fun at other issues. I think this just speaks to how we don't actually consider Nazism cool, but we consider to idea of using it as a medium to make some "funny" point cool.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:54:13 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:49:39 PM, jopo wrote:

It's what I've seen online. One thing said "Real Nazis go hard." I've never seen anything from Klansmen that says that.:

I think part of why you see that online is because Hitler/Nazis is something society is very familiar with and when going for "shock value" it is something that someone knows will poke a nerve to some degree (though I do think there is merit to the argument that we are somewhat desensitized to it). But I don't think that often when people say stuff like that they're actually attempting to truly glorify Hitler/Nazis, society as a whole has made a pretty clear decision that that's not something we support. While slightly outdated (just over 5 years) this article outlines a past issue that seems akin to this situation - http://www.nytimes.com... . A German video was released portraying Hitler's life, "Downfall", and people took to making internet spoofs that used Hitler as a medium to poke fun at other issues. I think this just speaks to how we don't actually consider Nazism cool, but we consider to idea of using it as a medium to make some "funny" point cool.

That's not what I've seen. When they say Hitler goes hard, they mean it. They also criticize Israel in the Palestinian conflict.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 3:01:44 PM
Some background on you would be appreciated at this point.

It's what I've seen online. One thing said "Real Nazis go hard." I've never seen anything from Klansmen that says that.

Online you say...
I've heard of people going online to pose as young, hot women just to mess with people.
Online is not really public, since most people are anonymous to a large degree.

I think you assume way too much.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 6:38:22 PM
At 12/29/2013 10:10:49 PM, Adam2 wrote:
side with the ideals of the Klan, or Christianity or paganism, you are looked down upon as a bigot?

Every now and then you'll find this teenage tomboy and her bro talking about cool things about Hitler.

You never find anyone talking about cool things regarding the KKK or paganism. Why?

Or if you support English or Danish imperialism you're seen a warmongering hater.
The term "Anglo-Saxon" has become something of a stigma too

Anyone care to explain?

I have never heard of anyone ever thinking that Nazism is cool. Except crazies.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 8:11:01 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:54:13 PM, Adam2 wrote:

That's not what I've seen. When they say Hitler goes hard, they mean it. They also criticize Israel in the Palestinian conflict.

I'll give you a pass on this thing you've brought up as I'm not going to make much of an attempt to understand it.

That said, do not conflate Pro-nazi sentiments with Anti-Israel sentiments. One can criticize Israel all they want and have no sympathies for Nazis. One can criticize Israel and have no Anti-Israel sentiments. One can criticize Israel and otherwise very much love Jews.

In certain circles (among certain people) I criticize Israel more than anyone, and no one is going to ever accuse me of being anti-Israel or Pro-Nazi.

While certainly some may be pro-nazi and thus anti-Israel, to casually juxtapose these issues together perpetuates an unfortunate reality that people who fairly criticize Israel shouldn't have to deal with.
Debate.org Moderator
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:44:24 PM
At 12/30/2013 8:11:01 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 12/30/2013 1:54:13 PM, Adam2 wrote:

I'll give you a pass on this thing you've brought up as I'm not going to make much of an attempt to understand it.

That said, do not conflate Pro-nazi sentiments with Anti-Israel sentiments. One can criticize Israel all they want and have no sympathies for Nazis. One can criticize Israel and have no Anti-Israel sentiments. One can criticize Israel and otherwise very much love Jews.

In certain circles (among certain people) I criticize Israel more than anyone, and no one is going to ever accuse me of being anti-Israel or Pro-Nazi.

While certainly some may be pro-nazi and thus anti-Israel, to casually juxtapose these issues together perpetuates an unfortunate reality that people who fairly criticize Israel shouldn't have to deal with.

Shut up, Nazi.