Pew's Latest Evolution Poll

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 10:03:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.pewforum.org...

- Not much surprising in here. Fundamental Christians reject it. There are many a Christian who believe it was God's mechanism to make man. Got to like that.

- The one surprising thing was the Republican party went from 54 to 43 % of those polled stating they don't believe in evolution. That is a big move outside the error tolerance and may point to the further radicalization of the party. Not good for winning an election.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 11:28:22 PM
24% of college grads believe humans have always existed in their present form. Well we can't all be biology majors lol.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 7:51:25 PM
Seriously couldn't give a crap about it either way but I love how religious people keep rejecting evolution. Those who support evolution and/or are atheists shouldn't expect people to change beliefs while ridiculing and demeaning those who disagree.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 9:06:52 PM
At 1/15/2014 7:51:25 PM, TN05 wrote:
Seriously couldn't give a crap about it either way but I love how religious people keep rejecting evolution. Those who support evolution and/or are atheists shouldn't expect people to change beliefs while ridiculing and demeaning those who disagree.

"Seriously couldn't give a crap about it either way" I agree hardheartedly. The only people who care about evolution are academics. The study of evolution serves no profitable or useful purpose to the rest of society. Who gives a rats behind about 4 billion years ago. Now what.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 9:25:17 PM
At 1/15/2014 9:06:52 PM, sadolite wrote:

"Seriously couldn't give a crap about it either way" I agree hardheartedly. The only people who care about evolution are academics. The study of evolution serves no profitable or useful purpose to the rest of society. Who gives a rats behind about 4 billion years ago. Now what.

Exactly, glad to see I'm not alone in the 'apathetic' category. To me it's only useful in a theoretical sense - can we say with any certainty what happened a billion years ago, let alone a million or even 10,000 years ago? No, and even if we could, what use is it really? Is it going to help us fight disease or reduce suffering? Probably not. And it's the same with religion really... what difference does it really make if the universe isn't 6,000 years old?

Science is most useful when studying the here and now, finding ways to advance humanity. And religion is most useful here and now, helping the poor and the sick. If we could just focus on right now we'd get a lot more.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 3:02:06 AM

http://www.talkorigins.org...
Bioinformatics, a multi-billion-dollar industry, consists largely of the comparison of genetic sequences. Descent with modification is one of its most basic assumptions.
Diseases and pests evolve resistance to the drugs and pesticides we use against them. Evolutionary theory is used in the field of resistance management in both medicine and agriculture (Bull and Wichman 2001).
Evolutionary theory is used to manage fisheries for greater yields (Conover and Munch 2002).
Artificial selection has been used since prehistory, but it has become much more efficient with the addition of quantitative trait locus mapping.
Knowledge of the evolution of parasite virulence in human populations can help guide public health policy (Galvani 2003).
Sex allocation theory, based on evolution theory, was used to predict conditions under which the highly endangered kakapo bird would produce more female offspring, which retrieved it from the brink of extinction (Sutherland 2002).

Directed evolution allows the "breeding" of molecules or molecular pathways to create or enhance products, including:
enzymes (Arnold 2001)
pigments (Arnold 2001)
antibiotics
flavors
biopolymers
bacterial strains to decompose hazardous materials.

Stop being annoying now pl0x.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 4:25:53 PM
At 1/16/2014 3:02:06 AM, Noumena wrote:

Bioinformatics, a multi-billion-dollar industry, consists largely of the comparison of genetic sequences. Descent with modification is one of its most basic assumptions.
Diseases and pests evolve resistance to the drugs and pesticides we use against them. Evolutionary theory is used in the field of resistance management in both medicine and agriculture (Bull and Wichman 2001).
Evolutionary theory is used to manage fisheries for greater yields (Conover and Munch 2002).
Artificial selection has been used since prehistory, but it has become much more efficient with the addition of quantitative trait locus mapping.
Knowledge of the evolution of parasite virulence in human populations can help guide public health policy (Galvani 2003).
Sex allocation theory, based on evolution theory, was used to predict conditions under which the highly endangered kakapo bird would produce more female offspring, which retrieved it from the brink of extinction (Sutherland 2002).

Directed evolution allows the "breeding" of molecules or molecular pathways to create or enhance products, including:
enzymes (Arnold 2001)
pigments (Arnold 2001)
antibiotics
flavors
biopolymers

Sounds more like "genetic engineering" to me. The manipulation of already known and existing.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 2:30:32 PM
At 1/16/2014 4:25:53 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/16/2014 3:02:06 AM, Noumena wrote:

enzymes (Arnold 2001)
pigments (Arnold 2001)
antibiotics
flavors
biopolymers

Sounds more like "genetic engineering" to me. The manipulation of already known and existing.

wat
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 10:05:43 PM
At 1/1/2014 10:03:45 PM, slo1 wrote:

- Not much surprising in here. Fundamental Christians reject it. There are many a Christian who believe it was God's mechanism to make man. Got to like that.

But humans are homo sapiens, and prior to that they were a different bipedal ape species and not human. And so therefore humans always have existed in their current form, by definition. So that Pew question makes no sense.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 3:44:57 PM
At 1/17/2014 10:05:43 PM, rross wrote:
At 1/1/2014 10:03:45 PM, slo1 wrote:

But humans are homo sapiens, and prior to that they were a different bipedal ape species and not human. And so therefore humans always have existed in their current form, by definition. So that Pew question makes no sense.

The context is "since beginning". Beginning of what, exactly? That's the significance of the Pew question.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Clarity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 9:31:39 PM
At 1/15/2014 9:25:17 PM, TN05 wrote:

Exactly, glad to see I'm not alone in the 'apathetic' category. To me it's only useful in a theoretical sense - can we say with any certainty what happened a billion years ago, let alone a million or even 10,000 years ago? No, and even if we could, what use is it really? Is it going to help us fight disease or reduce suffering? Probably not. And it's the same with religion really... what difference does it really make if the universe isn't 6,000 years old?

Science is most useful when studying the here and now, finding ways to advance humanity. And religion is most useful here and now, helping the poor and the sick. If we could just focus on right now we'd get a lot more.
I'm sorry but I;m going to have to strongly disagree with you.

Evolution is important for multiple, the first of which is religion. If you are religious fundamentalist, then you most likely support every little sentence in your chosen Holy Book. Most of these books reject evolution. If one is brought to accept evolution(you cannot "believe" in it, just like you can't "believe" in gravity. It either happens or it doesn't.) then their entire religious view can be changed.

Second is genetic engineering and breeding. Genetic engineering is pretty reliant on evolution, since the reproduction of cells over time and their gradual change is how scientists(to my knowledge) genetically modify bio organisms. GMOs exist because of evolution. Breeding animals is the same thing. Allow only the strong and fat in a population of cows to breed is selective breeding, also known as micro-evolution.

I have a hard time believing you when you say"evolution is not important" when it plays such a big role in politics, religion, philosophy, and science.