Jump to topic:

Interesting ways to torture somebody

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:13:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What are some interesting ways to torture somebody without being too obvious about it? Sure anyone can lock somebody in a room forever, or beat or mutilate them with weapons, but I've always wondered why people use weapons at all when it's so easy to torture somebody without them. When Galileo was being persecuted by the Christians, they got him to shut up about his heliocentric theories by simply "showing him the tools they were going to use" to torture him if he didn't. Showing him the tools did work (he ceased his heresy immediately after) but why did it matter?

Chinese water torture is the perfect example of what I'm getting at. One need only tie someone down and let water drip on their forehead to cause torturous conditions. My personal example would be spinning. I HATE spinning. When I was a kid it was fun, but as I got older I get more nauseated by it to the point where even a few seconds on a merri-go-round at the park is more than I can handle. I think an interesting way to torture somebody would be to tie them up and spin them indefinitely. It would be absolutely maddening!

The trolling in this thread is going to be intense, but I'm taking the risk -_-
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:37:46 PM
Psychological manipulation is often, when used correctly, far more effective than physical torture. The object is to not only get inside your subject's head, but to leave them so disoriented that they loose all sense of their orientation in the world around them. As Nietzsche said of the abyss... if you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you -you must be the abyss.
Tsar of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:50:23 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but the idea of torture--its motivations, its execution, its many possible implements, etc.--is something about which I think with some frequency and considerable interest. I've always liked the idea of using pleasure as a means of torture. Often playfully used for the opposite reason (the terrain of sexual stimulation always contains a space for just this kind of thing), one wonders whether pleasure-causing mechanisms couldn't be used to dominate and control in the way that traditional torture devices historically have been--whether one might not indefinitely stimulate a man sexually, forcing him to undergo increasingly painful orgasm cycles, or, conversely, building up insane, physiologically dangerous levels of tension without ever bringing him to orgasm. Or, one could forcibly inject someone over the course of days with an incredibly addictive, incredibly pleasurable drug (which, depending on the extent of the torturer's sadism, could have more or less harmful consequences coincident with use--consider krokodil), using its allure to contort a person's mind until they would gladly rip out their own eyes (or confess to any crime) just to get a small dose. Or, along the lines of the water torture, one could suspend someone, extremities pulled out, and graze their body with the tip of a feather (this could potentially be something like an unscratchable itch--for extra points, one could devise a mechanism allowing one hand to get arbitrarily close to the affected area without ever quite being able to achieve the catharsis of a scratch).

I once had a dream in which I witnessed a man trapped in a dim, soundproof room (think an anechoic chamber) in which the only noise was a barely-incomprehensible whisper he was alternately trying to decipher and shut out. I had no sense of time, of course, but it did not take long for madness to embrace him as a lover.

I'd argue the possibility of torture is limited only by the imagination of the quaestionarius.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 5:43:31 PM
The silent treatment should work wonders.
I employed it at my last job, and it pissed everyone off (which led to my being fired/quit)... but that could just be the drugs talking, which ruined their buzzes.
My work here is, finally, done.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 8:54:47 PM
Frame them for a drug offense and mire them in the court system for a year. I would rather be cained than be put on probation and go to all those useless drug and life programs that cost hundreds of dollars.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 3:23:58 AM
At 1/9/2014 12:13:16 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
What are some interesting ways to torture somebody without being too obvious about it? Sure anyone can lock somebody in a room forever, or beat or mutilate them with weapons, but I've always wondered why people use weapons at all when it's so easy to torture somebody without them. When Galileo was being persecuted by the Christians, they got him to shut up about his heliocentric theories by simply "showing him the tools they were going to use" to torture him if he didn't. Showing him the tools did work (he ceased his heresy immediately after) but why did it matter?

Chinese water torture is the perfect example of what I'm getting at. One need only tie someone down and let water drip on their forehead to cause torturous conditions. My personal example would be spinning. I HATE spinning. When I was a kid it was fun, but as I got older I get more nauseated by it to the point where even a few seconds on a merri-go-round at the park is more than I can handle. I think an interesting way to torture somebody would be to tie them up and spin them indefinitely. It would be absolutely maddening!

The trolling in this thread is going to be intense, but I'm taking the risk -_-

http://www.debate.org...
my favoritest debate ive ever done
30 Important Life Lessons
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 6:56:19 AM
At 1/9/2014 12:50:23 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but the idea of torture--its motivations, its execution, its many possible implements, etc.--is something about which I think with some frequency and considerable interest. I've always liked the idea of using pleasure as a means of torture. Often playfully used for the opposite reason (the terrain of sexual stimulation always contains a space for just this kind of thing), one wonders whether pleasure-causing mechanisms couldn't be used to dominate and control in the way that traditional torture devices historically have been--whether one might not indefinitely stimulate a man sexually, forcing him to undergo increasingly painful orgasm cycles, or, conversely, building up insane, physiologically dangerous levels of tension without ever bringing him to orgasm. Or, one could forcibly inject someone over the course of days with an incredibly addictive, incredibly pleasurable drug (which, depending on the extent of the torturer's sadism, could have more or less harmful consequences coincident with use--consider krokodil), using its allure to contort a person's mind until they would gladly rip out their own eyes (or confess to any crime) just to get a small dose. Or, along the lines of the water torture, one could suspend someone, extremities pulled out, and graze their body with the tip of a feather (this could potentially be something like an unscratchable itch--for extra points, one could devise a mechanism allowing one hand to get arbitrarily close to the affected area without ever quite being able to achieve the catharsis of a scratch).

I once had a dream in which I witnessed a man trapped in a dim, soundproof room (think an anechoic chamber) in which the only noise was a barely-incomprehensible whisper he was alternately trying to decipher and shut out. I had no sense of time, of course, but it did not take long for madness to embrace him as a lover.

I'd argue the possibility of torture is limited only by the imagination of the quaestionarius.

This kind of reminded me of this novel I read. It was a Dan Brown novel (Angels and demons?), where professor Langton is tortured by reality. He was immersed into this liquid where he lost all senses, and felt extreme tranquility. He was numb to the world in that- no thoughts, no stress nothing. And then he was repeatedly taken out of this immersion, making reality an intensely painful experience. He'd beg to be immersed back, and after a fair amount of dialogues- he would be. And taken out again. Losing grasp with reality and truth.

I was pretty traumatized with the description.