Jump to topic:

The Stupidity Of Todays Youth **

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 12:06:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Greetings DDO. Maybe there are some of you who know about the deeply disturbing trends concerning our youth here in the US today. They say an idle mind is the devils playground. Well I wonder just what the kids nowadays are thinking. Oh nevermind, it cant be all that much significant. What do I mean ? See the video below for more details. I think that this generation is in dire need of guidance because they are lost.
What do you think ?
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 12:22:22 PM
At 1/13/2014 12:06:43 PM, inferno wrote:
Greetings DDO. Maybe there are some of you who know about the deeply disturbing trends concerning our youth here in the US today. They say an idle mind is the devils playground. Well I wonder just what the kids nowadays are thinking. Oh nevermind, it cant be all that much significant. What do I mean ? See the video below for more details. I think that this generation is in dire need of guidance because they are lost.
What do you think ?

Making generalizations from a few bad examples that don't represent everyone? Maybe you are lost.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 12:34:29 PM
At 1/13/2014 12:22:22 PM, nummi wrote:
What do you think ?

Making generalizations from a few bad examples that don't represent everyone? Maybe you are lost.

This concept if mainly for the content of this forum.
But I doubt you can give me a reasonable answer as to the question I have just asked.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 2:12:39 PM
At 1/13/2014 12:34:29 PM, inferno wrote:
What do you think ?

But I doubt you can give me a reasonable answer as to the question I have just asked.
Of course I can, very certain even better than you could manage, but not interested. Not here to write "novels".
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 2:20:49 PM
At 1/13/2014 2:12:39 PM, nummi wrote:
What do you think ?

Of course I can, very certain even better than you could manage, but not interested. Not here to write "novels".

Do not talk. Just do it and then we shall see. But again I doubt you can give us any logical explanation for this type of behavior.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:00:51 PM
What do you think ?

Hey, the kids are all right. At least they believe in gay rights and ending the war on drugs, generally.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:01:56 PM
At 1/13/2014 3:00:51 PM, Wocambs wrote:
What do you think ?

Hey, the kids are all right. At least they believe in gay rights and ending the war on drugs, generally.

You were doing okay until you got to the war on drugs part. Then you just fell into the abyss.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:03:57 PM
At 1/13/2014 3:01:56 PM, inferno wrote:
What do you think ?

You were doing okay until you got to the war on drugs part. Then you just fell into the abyss.

Why's that, exactly? The black market created by drugs, many of which are quite harmless, generates massive profits for violent criminal cartels, as well as their prohibition being a general attack on individual liberties.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:06:25 PM
At 1/13/2014 3:03:57 PM, Wocambs wrote:
At 1/13/2014 3:01:56 PM, inferno wrote:
What do you think ?

Why's that, exactly? The black market created by drugs, many of which are quite harmless, generates massive profits for violent criminal cartels, as well as their prohibition being a general attack on individual liberties.

Because this generation has little to no moral standards for themselves let along trying to end the war on drugs. I think you are missing the point here and the link between their horrible acts of mankind and the video on display.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:14:09 PM
What do you think ?

It's hard to know what to make of the knockout game. While it's deplorable, and disturbing to the extent that kids are willing to participate in it -I think the fact that this is even happening means something about our society, and that meaning is chilling.
Tsar of DDO
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:16:23 PM
At 1/13/2014 3:07:14 PM, inferno wrote:
More comments on this serious topic please. Thank you.

The third attack in the video was carried out by a 34 year old man in England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

"When we turn to murder rates by age, we see similar reductions among youth. Murders committed by those under 14 have laid flatline on the bottom, as you might expect, but what of slightly older kids? Kids ages 14 to 17 were killing at a rate of circa 12 homicides per 10,000 from 1970 to 1985, which then soared to more than 30 per 10,000 in 1993. From there on in this "age of video games," it plummeted downward, now sitting at slightly less than 10 per 10,000, or lower than in the last 30 or so years."

http://arstechnica.com... - A slightly dubious source, but you can check the FBI data for yourself, I think.

Stop hating on the kids, you crochety old man.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:27:11 PM
At 1/13/2014 2:20:49 PM, inferno wrote:
At 1/13/2014 2:12:39 PM, nummi wrote:
What do you think ?

Do not talk. Just do it and then we shall see. But again I doubt you can give us any logical explanation for this type of behavior.
The parts you should have concentrated on really really hard was 'but not interested' and "Not here to write "novels"'.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:17:41 AM
I think inferno makes a good point. I don't think he's implying that all youth are bad, just that there is a fairly obvious problem as we can see from the video. The combination of idleness and youth can be a problem. All I have to do is think back on my youth. Back when my problems were a bit more superficial, image related (not that those particular youths don't have authentic problems), I was drawn to hard rock/heavy metal, and entertained what the host of the video referred to as anti-social behavior. As I got older and encountered real problems, I sought solace in more peaceful things like Classical music.

My theory is that people in the ancient world who really faced violence/danger, and/or real environmental oppression sought out beauty as a relief from the stress. That is why I think classical music, poetry, paintings, etc. from the ancient world are as beautiful as they are. I think a lot of today's darker art forms (including music and video games sometimes associated with acts of violence) probably originate from a desire to escape from societal mundane-ness. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think that's how it generally works.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:56:28 PM
Disturbing as it may be, this is nothing new and I would even call it mild in severity compared to what gang-violence has achieved throughout the twentieth century. What is most disturbing is the incredibly cowardly aspect of it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 9:14:11 AM
At 1/14/2014 7:56:28 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Disturbing as it may be, this is nothing new and I would even call it mild in severity compared to what gang-violence has achieved throughout the twentieth century. What is most disturbing is the incredibly cowardly aspect of it.

You have gangs in todays society as well. While certain drugs may not be as popular as it once was, it is still problematic. You have a post recession economy, fatherless homes, mass hysteria, chronic stress, and anxiety. Some would say that todays climate is perhaps the most depressing as it has been in our nations history.
With that being said along with the lack of morals in our society as it stands now, it puts this generation at a great disadvantage for sure.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 9:16:23 AM
At 1/14/2014 9:17:41 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
I think inferno makes a good point. I don't think he's implying that all youth are bad, just that there is a fairly obvious problem as we can see from the video. The combination of idleness and youth can be a problem. All I have to do is think back on my youth. Back when my problems were a bit more superficial, image related (not that those particular youths don't have authentic problems), I was drawn to hard rock/heavy metal, and entertained what the host of the video referred to as anti-social behavior. As I got older and encountered real problems, I sought solace in more peaceful things like Classical music.

My theory is that people in the ancient world who really faced violence/danger, and/or real environmental oppression sought out beauty as a relief from the stress. That is why I think classical music, poetry, paintings, etc. from the ancient world are as beautiful as they are. I think a lot of today's darker art forms (including music and video games sometimes associated with acts of violence) probably originate from a desire to escape from societal mundane-ness. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think that's how it generally works.

No not all youth are bad. But because we now live in a society where we have more single mother, poverty, and stress...........These elements cannot go unoticed because the issues this generation are dealing with is unforseen and on a much higher scale.
Its a major psychological issue here and we are now seeing the moral decay of the world we live in.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 5:30:00 PM
Inferno, what particular change would be effective in helping reduce "stress" and the other ailments you are concerned with?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 1:31:13 PM
At 1/15/2014 5:30:00 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Inferno, what particular change would be effective in helping reduce "stress" and the other ailments you are concerned with?

Easy. People need to nourish their spiritual side so that they can be more emotionally balanced. I see we have a lock of this because we live in a mechanical society. Its a zombie state going on right now and leaves humans feeling detatched or void inside.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 4:49:12 PM
At 1/16/2014 1:31:13 PM, inferno wrote:

Easy. People need to nourish their spiritual side so that they can be more emotionally balanced. I see we have a lock of this because we live in a mechanical society. Its a zombie state going on right now and leaves humans feeling detatched or void inside.

People are, generally speaking, both unable to determine exactly what "spirituality" is, and unable to explain the benefits it provides. There is a certain antithetic relationship between technology and spirituality, I suppose, and I hadn't really thought of it exactly that way before. It makes me think of an ex-girlfriend of mine I met about two years ago. She had an iPhone. Her reliance on that phone was beyond using it as a helpful tool, as most would describe such a device. She needed it where-ever she went, would sleep with it under her pillow, and in any social situation would need it in her hands in case somebody wasn't talking to her so she could direct her attention at it and relieve her of the social pressure of having to maintain eye contact, stay alert to the conversation, etc. I never looked at cell-phones the same after that, or technology for that matter. I started to realize that technology was not simply an increase in utility, it was a give and a take. While we derive utility from it in an obvious manner, what we pay for it in return is subtle... indirect... insidious. While a cell-phone may not harm us directly (well, that statement may need to be re-examined very soon in the light of new data), how we tend to use it does harm us. Pointing this out to people is difficult, because they can always insist that they use it responsibly, and arguing with them further calls into question their character (e.g., do you see certain loved ones less because they are conveniently handled through a cell-phone now?).

I see now how spirituality is opposed to technology. Technology = technical solutions. Solutions imply problems. We are creating solutions to problems we never had. Watching commercials is interesting to me, as firms try desperately to create problems, artificially, in our lives for them to solve. "Suzie doesn't have the latest cell-phone, so she can't stay connected as well as Bill, who's life is much more manageable and complete."
Beliefs in a nutshell:
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 10:44:30 AM
At 1/16/2014 4:49:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/16/2014 1:31:13 PM, inferno wrote:

People are, generally speaking, both unable to determine exactly what "spirituality" is, and unable to explain the benefits it provides. There is a certain antithetic relationship between technology and spirituality, I suppose, and I hadn't really thought of it exactly that way before. It makes me think of an ex-girlfriend of mine I met about two years ago. She had an iPhone. Her reliance on that phone was beyond using it as a helpful tool, as most would describe such a device. She needed it where-ever she went, would sleep with it under her pillow, and in any social situation would need it in her hands in case somebody wasn't talking to her so she could direct her attention at it and relieve her of the social pressure of having to maintain eye contact, stay alert to the conversation, etc. I never looked at cell-phones the same after that, or technology for that matter. I started to realize that technology was not simply an increase in utility, it was a give and a take. While we derive utility from it in an obvious manner, what we pay for it in return is subtle... indirect... insidious. While a cell-phone may not harm us directly (well, that statement may need to be re-examined very soon in the light of new data), how we tend to use it does harm us. Pointing this out to people is difficult, because they can always insist that they use it responsibly, and arguing with them further calls into question their character (e.g., do you see certain loved ones less because they are conveniently handled through a cell-phone now?).

I see now how spirituality is opposed to technology. Technology = technical solutions. Solutions imply problems. We are creating solutions to problems we never had. Watching commercials is interesting to me, as firms try desperately to create problems, artificially, in our lives for them to solve. "Suzie doesn't have the latest cell-phone, so she can't stay connected as well as Bill, who's life is much more manageable and complete."

We have allowed ourselves to be controlled and manipulated by our environment. We are collective beings who react indirectly to what it is that we are exposed to in a daily basis. We must nourish our spiritual side, and our conscious minds in order to maintain on a level that does not compromise our existence.
Thank you for your excellent insight my friend.