Total Posts:57|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Convince me the US is a decent place to live

tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...
yang.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 6:31:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

It might help if you start by saying why you think it's bad.
What are your concerns specifically?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:10:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 6:31:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

It might help if you start by saying why you think it's bad.
What are your concerns specifically?

By this I mean, I could say the U.S. is decent because of XYZ.
And, if your response is, "XYZ is the reason I don't want to live there", a different approach to convince you is required.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:50:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

Boston and New York are nice. The cities in California are nice, too. Oh, and the weather is better in California.
Tsar of DDO
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:24:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 6:31:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It might help if you start by saying why you think it's bad.
What are your concerns specifically?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://rt.com...
On a side note, I crossed the border once and they took my passport and forced me into the room where they question people... no option to go back into my own country---they just took my phone, searched my purse and my car.

http://www.slate.com...

These are just a few of many, many reasons, but I've got to be heading out now. The culture, ie. the things we as Canadians take for granted, is very much different in the US. The idea of living in a country where a man can admit to killing a kid he followed, get zero punishment, and have a significant number of people supporting him, makes me sick. I'm not trying to debate the case again, but I really don't think something like that could happen in Canada, and that's just one example of very different fundamental beliefs.

It really doesn't help the sense of safety, the things you see on the news.

The fact that there's so much police brutality and people used to get cavity searched for having a little bit of pot; prostitution is illegal; up until recently, gay marriage was illegal and it's still not legal everywhere, right?; there seems to be a lack of consistency in laws across the country (different states having really different laws :/); the lack of a separation between church and state, despite claiming so; and the general attitude of "America, the land of the free".

(Sorry for any typos, some of the keys on my laptop aren't working and I keep going back to fix things but I may have missed some things...)
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:26:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 7:50:40 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

Boston and New York are nice. The cities in California are nice, too. Oh, and the weather is better in California.

I really loved California when I went to visit, and is the one place I would consider learning more about before moving there. However, if I were to move to the US in the next few months, it would be Michigan (near Detroit or Ann Arbor).
yang.
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:30:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 8:26:07 AM, tulle wrote:
At 1/14/2014 7:50:40 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

Boston and New York are nice. The cities in California are nice, too. Oh, and the weather is better in California.

I really loved California when I went to visit, and is the one place I would consider learning more about before moving there. However, if I were to move to the US in the next few months, it would be Michigan (near Detroit or Ann Arbor).

If moving there means what I think it means, congratulations are surely in proper order. U Michigan is literally one of the best schools in the world.
Tsar of DDO
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:37:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 8:30:12 AM, YYW wrote:

If moving there means what I think it means, congratulations are surely in proper order. U Michigan is literally one of the best schools in the world.

Just a tad premature but thank you! My fingers are crossed ^_^
yang.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:48:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

I suspect those perceptions are based largely on peripheral aspects of American society. What it's actually like to live here is hardly defined by our politics or public image as reported in the media (as is the case with most countries). I think those things would just be irrelevant to your experience here.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:16:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oh yeah, and healthcare.

@dylan--I can see that being true. I'm neither a drug user, gay, nor a prostitute :p

But my experience with American border security seems to corroborate the Big Brother-esque stories you see on the news.
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:24:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
To be fair though, there is just so much news coming out of the US and I'm aware of the availability heuristic :/ that's why I'm looking for more positive things, and reasons people enjoy living there.
yang.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:25:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 8:24:55 AM, tulle wrote:
At 1/14/2014 6:31:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It might help if you start by saying why you think it's bad.
What are your concerns specifically?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Why would religious people question their faith?
It just goes to show the sadness that is zealotry.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Who's going to investigate the police?
Troubling, I agree.

http://rt.com...
I don't see the issue with this, really.
This seems to be news only because it extends to phones/laptops.
On a side note, I crossed the border once and they took my passport and forced me into the room where they question people... no option to go back into my own country---they just took my phone, searched my purse and my car.
I am unfamiliar with border laws. I am assuming you cannot merely just go back to your country if you are about to be arrested.
Knowing what little I know about you, I wouldn't put it past racial profiling. However, what they did to you, sounds standard.


http://www.slate.com...
Again, I have no problem with this.
If the defendant wants to clear the air as to why he stopped cooperating, then he can take the stand.
Police ought to have every right to bring forth evidence of guilt, including hindering their investigation. For example, if the police found the suspect to withhold the truth to the point of being misleading when questioned, that is relevant to their attempt to hide something.

These are just a few of many, many reasons, but I've got to be heading out now. The culture, ie. the things we as Canadians take for granted, is very much different in the US.
I think a big factor may be the legal system.
In the US, we are a nation of laws, not men (or were that way anyway). Thus, the laws reflect our culure, and too many people look to the law for moral guidance, as opposed to its intended purpose of telling the government what/how/why the government is to interfere with our lives.

The idea of living in a country where a man can admit to killing a kid he followed, get zero punishment, and have a significant number of people supporting him, makes me sick. I'm not trying to debate the case again, but I really don't think something like that could happen in Canada, and that's just one example of very different fundamental beliefs.
Looking at the law and the facts available, Zimmerman was pinned down and shot in self-defense. The prosecution was unable to prove otherwise. That is the bottom line issue, and many people supported Zimmerman because of the intergrity of the legal system. (just because the guy is a jerk and did something unwise, unnecessary, and led to a tragic end, it does not mean he is guilty)

It really doesn't help the sense of safety, the things you see on the news.
The news is always depressing. That is why I don't watch it.

The fact that there's so much police brutality
I think you need to be cautious about this stat. You may be right, I don't deny that possibility. However, defendants claim brutatlity because it might get them off. Also, police may be responding with equal violence. (who's going to admit to throwing the first punch?)
This is not to say there is not ever excessive force and what not, but I think it is overhyped by the news (part of the reason I don't watch it) and pundits will run with it, regardless of how factual the story is.

and people used to get cavity searched for having a little bit of pot
if people didn't hide drugs in their cavity, do you think police would be searching there?
prostitution is illegal;
This is an example of people using the law as a moral code, which it shouldn't be, especially in the US.

up until recently, gay marriage was illegal and it's still not legal everywhere, right?;
correct, but it is largely a state's rights issue
(in some states, you can get married at 16, others you can't, some you can marry a cousin, some you can't)
there seems to be a lack of consistency in laws across the country (different states having really different laws :/);
That is the entire point of our federalistic organization.
the lack of a separation between church and state, despite claiming so;
it's often misintrepreted

and the general attitude of "America, the land of the free".
As an outsider, you are probably more attune to the loud individuals. They may or may not represent the culture as a whole.


Ultimately, it is a culture shock if you were to live here. It doesn't make us indecent by any means.
To my understanding, Canada, and most other countries, have more of a collectivist attitude, which is fine. However, America was founded on individual liberty, which is largely at odds with how most other nations view government's role.

Due keep in mind that the US does have the third or fourth largest population in the world. We are going to have crazy people. We are going to have conflicts about laws and whatnot.

I'd say America's (Americans') biggest flaw is being so ego-centric and/or lazy (both physically and intellectually). I know next to nothing about Canadian culture or government, and you are only a five hour drive from me.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:26:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 9:16:55 AM, tulle wrote:
Oh yeah, and healthcare.

@dylan--I can see that being true. I'm neither a drug user, gay, nor a prostitute :p

But my experience with American border security seems to corroborate the Big Brother-esque stories you see on the news.

There is a big conflict among Americans about the NSA, TSA, and border security.
A lot of us think it has gone too far.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:38:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 9:24:58 AM, tulle wrote:
To be fair though, there is just so much news coming out of the US and I'm aware of the availability heuristic :/ that's why I'm looking for more positive things, and reasons people enjoy living there.

Not to pry or open any wounds, but isn't "M" from America?
Did he not have good things to say?
My work here is, finally, done.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:51:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 9:24:58 AM, tulle wrote:
To be fair though, there is just so much news coming out of the US and I'm aware of the availability heuristic :/ that's why I'm looking for more positive things, and reasons people enjoy living there.

Ultimately, your experience here would be defined by the people you meet and opportunities you are able to pursue. Also, American and Canadian culture seem very similar, especially among people your age (except maybe in the South). Although I've lived in pretty liberal places...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 10:11:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

We have U Michigan :P

Aside from that, honestly? Don't judge the vast population from a few cases. I would hope you would know better than to stereotype all of America (many of us on here are American) based on a few idiots. As much as a lot of us, including myself, complain about all the reasons America sucks a** and how the second we have a chance t move to like the UK or Canada we will, I know my chance to move has come and I didn't go anywhere except 30 minutes up the highway.

Maybe my position is biased because I haven't lived in any other country other than my own. I'd give you that.

But honestly? If you're having to search for a reason to like the US and want to live there, maybe moving here isn't in your best interest. Just my two cents.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 10:53:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
America can also be a horrible place to live. It all depends on who you are. Typically people in our nation (I live in America) have to be very ambitious and usually avoid hard financial times to become wealthy. It also helps if you're incredibly bright. However, America can be a hard place to live if too.

I think it's unfair to claim that America is a wonderful place to live without acknowledging that our country suffers from the highest income inequality in the industrialized world and one of the highest crime and murder rates in that category.
birdlandmemories
Posts: 4,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 4:45:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

Well, it is a nice place, with a variety of different attractions, and is also very historic. I mean, there are some nice places to live, especially along the East Coast.
Ashton
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:36:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 9:25:11 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I am unfamiliar with border laws. I am assuming you cannot merely just go back to your country if you are about to be arrested.
Knowing what little I know about you, I wouldn't put it past racial profiling. However, what they did to you, sounds standard.

But I wasn't under arrest :/ And I hadn't done anything wrong at all. It's not their job to police Canadian citizens. If they feel I'm a threat to their country, they should tell me so and give me the option to either go for further questioning or go back to my own country. Of course, I don't know if this differs at all from Canadian border security procedures.

Again, I have no problem with this.
If the defendant wants to clear the air as to why he stopped cooperating, then he can take the stand.
Police ought to have every right to bring forth evidence of guilt, including hindering their investigation. For example, if the police found the suspect to withhold the truth to the point of being misleading when questioned, that is relevant to their attempt to hide something.

That's completely against the spirit of "the right to remain silent", which is meant to protect innocent people from saying potentially incriminating things that the police will use against them. Then it just becomes the police officer's word that the person arbitrarily "looked" suspicious. If that's not a breeding ground for racial profiling I don't know what is.

I think a big factor may be the legal system.
In the US, we are a nation of laws, not men (or were that way anyway). Thus, the laws reflect our culure, and too many people look to the law for moral guidance, as opposed to its intended purpose of telling the government what/how/why the government is to interfere with our lives.

You're absolutely right.

Looking at the law and the facts available, Zimmerman was pinned down and shot in self-defense. The prosecution was unable to prove otherwise. That is the bottom line issue, and many people supported Zimmerman because of the intergrity of the legal system. (just because the guy is a jerk and did something unwise, unnecessary, and led to a tragic end, it does not mean he is guilty)

Again, I think it comes to a cultural difference in what it means to be guilty.

The news is always depressing. That is why I don't watch it.

I think you need to be cautious about this stat. You may be right, I don't deny that possibility. However, defendants claim brutatlity because it might get them off. Also, police may be responding with equal violence. (who's going to admit to throwing the first punch?)
This is not to say there is not ever excessive force and what not, but I think it is overhyped by the news (part of the reason I don't watch it) and pundits will run with it, regardless of how factual the story is.

lol I just saw on the news that a police officer in the US shot and killed someone in a movie theatre for texting. wut

I suppose what you say could be true.

if people didn't hide drugs in their cavity, do you think police would be searching there?

The fact that it's even that serious in the first place... I know a ton of people who smoke weed and when they get caught by police, it's pretty much "go home". On the other hand, the same activity, smoking a bit of pot, is (or was) such a big deal over there... I understand being cavity searched at the airport because the dogs found it on you or whatever, but I'm talking about everyday people smoking recreationally :/ It's never been such a big deal over here, as far as I know.

up until recently, gay marriage was illegal and it's still not legal everywhere, right?;
correct, but it is largely a state's rights issue
(in some states, you can get married at 16, others you can't, some you can marry a cousin, some you can't)

It's disconcerting to me that a human rights issue is not standard nation-wide.

That is the entire point of our federalistic organization.

I'm not sure what that means.

and the general attitude of "America, the land of the free".
As an outsider, you are probably more attune to the loud individuals. They may or may not represent the culture as a whole.

Fair enough.

Ultimately, it is a culture shock if you were to live here. It doesn't make us indecent by any means.

That's the funny thing. Toronto is notorious for being an isolating city, because people aren't very friendly and people don't really talk to each other. However, my experiences in the US with individual people have been really great. I've found Americans to be much friendlier than Canadians. An example of this would be Maikuru and I were walking down the street, and he and a woman said hi to each other and asked how the other was doing with such familiarity that I asked him if he knew her (he didn't lol). When we walk down the street, people say the sweetest things to us about how cute we are as a couple. In public places people just strike up conversations with you.

Travelling back and forth, tons of Americans have started up conversations with me or made small talk or at least acknowledged me in some way. The one time I flew back to Toronto and the girl I sat beside and I completely ignored each other, I saw that she had a Canadian passport :p In general, I've had quite pleasant personal experiences. But as you said, the law is the problem and I feel like a country's laws should and do reflect its culture.

To my understanding, Canada, and most other countries, have more of a collectivist attitude, which is fine. However, America was founded on individual liberty, which is largely at odds with how most other nations view government's role.

Due keep in mind that the US does have the third or fourth largest population in the world. We are going to have crazy people. We are going to have conflicts about laws and whatnot.

I'd say America's (Americans') biggest flaw is being so ego-centric and/or lazy (both physically and intellectually). I know next to nothing about Canadian culture or government, and you are only a five hour drive from me.

lol That's part of it. The idea of pretty much having a two-party system that don't really present choices is also disturbing. As long as I don't have to interact with the law, I think I'd be okay...
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:41:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 9:38:45 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Not to pry or open any wounds, but isn't "M" from America?
Did he not have good things to say?

lol Yes he is and not really.
yang.
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:43:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

No. I like it here, if you don't want to live here then kudos to you,
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:46:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 10:11:47 AM, Zaradi wrote:

We have U Michigan :P

Aside from that, honestly? Don't judge the vast population from a few cases. I would hope you would know better than to stereotype all of America (many of us on here are American) based on a few idiots. As much as a lot of us, including myself, complain about all the reasons America sucks a** and how the second we have a chance t move to like the UK or Canada we will, I know my chance to move has come and I didn't go anywhere except 30 minutes up the highway.

lol Yeah, I know I'm being terrible. It's funny how easy it is to complain about where you live without realizing how lucky you are to live there. I used to complain about Canada all the time until realizing how lucky I am to live here (I've been to numerous states, as well as two other countries). So I can imagine there being tons of good things that I just never hear about because people prefer to complain :p

Maybe my position is biased because I haven't lived in any other country other than my own. I'd give you that.

But honestly? If you're having to search for a reason to like the US and want to live there, maybe moving here isn't in your best interest. Just my two cents.

Yeah... sigh!
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:47:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 7:43:37 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

No. I like it here, if you don't want to live here then kudos to you,

lol Does that make you feel better? If so, you're welcome.
yang.
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 7:49:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 7:47:05 PM, tulle wrote:
At 1/14/2014 7:43:37 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

No. I like it here, if you don't want to live here then kudos to you,

lol Does that make you feel better? If so, you're welcome.

Nah I was just declining your challenge. What a sh*tty country this is mate. But we have an army

Anywho, I'm 13 so I don't have to worry about it... YET!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 8:23:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 7:36:47 PM, tulle wrote:
At 1/14/2014 9:25:11 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
If the defendant wants to clear the air as to why he stopped cooperating, then he can take the stand.
Police ought to have every right to bring forth evidence of guilt, including hindering their investigation. For example, if the police found the suspect to withhold the truth to the point of being misleading when questioned, that is relevant to their attempt to hide something.

That's completely against the spirit of "the right to remain silent", which is meant to protect innocent people...The right to remain silent is not to protect innocent people, it is to protect guilty people from incriminating themselves.
Now, if I am cooperating, then the police drop a bombshell of evidence and I stop, is that not suspicious? The police say this change in demeanor, why can't the mention it? Further, what about nonverbal cues, like pacing the floor and fidgiting, especially if you weren't before, and now are?
Further, can the jury not take into account that the defendant doesn't take the stand to clear his name?



Looking at the law and the facts available, Zimmerman was pinned down and shot in self-defense. The prosecution was unable to prove otherwise. That is the bottom line issue, and many people supported Zimmerman because of the intergrity of the legal system. (just because the guy is a jerk and did something unwise, unnecessary, and led to a tragic end, it does not mean he is guilty)

Again, I think it comes to a cultural difference in what it means to be guilty.
I can't speak for others, but just because Zimmerman was found not guilty does not mean his actions that night led to Martin's death. He is guilty of that, and has to live with that the rest of his life. Again, this makes it seem like the law = morality.

I doubt I would sleep at night if I killed a man in self-defense. Was I guilty? Yes and no.
No, in a court of law. Yes, in my soul, since I still took a man's life.

The news is always depressing. That is why I don't watch it.

I think you need to be cautious about this stat. You may be right, I don't deny that possibility. However, defendants claim brutatlity because it might get them off. Also, police may be responding with equal violence. (who's going to admit to throwing the first punch?)
This is not to say there is not ever excessive force and what not, but I think it is overhyped by the news (part of the reason I don't watch it) and pundits will run with it, regardless of how factual the story is.

lol I just saw on the news that a police officer in the US shot and killed someone in a movie theatre for texting. wut
retired police officer (I think he was 72)
and with this story, watch the police brutality crowd claim it is evidence of the police using force to get their way
watch the gun control crowd talk about (and misrepresent) the need for gun control, after another man fired into a crowded theater (one shot with an intended target is not a random act of violence, like the Batman shooter)
watch the race pundits make a heyday out of this, if there was race disparity

I suppose what you say could be true.

if people didn't hide drugs in their cavity, do you think police would be searching there?

The fact that it's even that serious in the first place... I know a ton of people who smoke weed and when they get caught by police, it's pretty much "go home". It's never been such a big deal over here, as far as I know.
I don't think it happens as often as people claim, and I know people who've been hassled by cops and/or arrested for drugs
The war on drugs is stupid, but searching cavities is logical in that fight.
It also doesn't help that special funding for drug offenses is given to police, which makes them want more convictions.

up until recently, gay marriage was illegal and it's still not legal everywhere, right?;
correct, but it is largely a state's rights issue
(in some states, you can get married at 16, others you can't, some you can marry a cousin, some you can't)

It's disconcerting to me that a human rights issue is not standard nation-wide.
Except it's not really a rights issue. There is no right to be married or have benefits. Also, almost every single benefit that comes with marriage (except tax, SS, and welfare) can be obtained legally through other means. Frankly, I'd rather just get rid of public marriages.
Most states were willing to offer the same benefits (civil union), but gays wanted the term. It was a fair compromise, but all sides were too proud.

That is the entire point of our federalistic organization.

I'm not sure what that means.
The country was founded on the idea that the states have more power than the federal government. The federal gov't was only to keep the states together (unitied currency, regulate interstate commerce, etc.). We, unfortunately, are moving away from this. This is why some states have lax laws on drugs and others don't. Some have sales taxes, some have income taxes, some don't.

The idea is that the smaller and more local the gov't representation, the more efficient and effective and responsive it is.

Ultimately, it is a culture shock if you were to live here. It doesn't make us indecent by any means.

That's the funny thing....
I shouldn't have said culture shock, I should have said political culture shock.
I assume based on your citizenship and age, you would be more collectivist, which indiviualistic laws and ideas would rub you the wrong way.

This could be a factor in your (and Maikuru's) view.

I'd say America's (Americans') biggest flaw is being so ego-centric and/or lazy (both physically and intellectually). I know next to nothing about Canadian culture or government, and you are only a five hour drive from me.

lol That's part of it. The idea of pretty much having a two-party system that don't really present choices is also disturbing. As long as I don't have to interact with the law, I think I'd be okay...

And that's what happens when people are intellectually lazy.
"I'm X, therefore I vote for Y party"
Party politics and single issue voters are destroying the integrity of the two party system, but also destroying our society by being so damn stupid.
My work here is, finally, done.
slo1
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 10:38:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 9:16:55 AM, tulle wrote:
Oh yeah, and healthcare.

@dylan--I can see that being true. I'm neither a drug user, gay, nor a prostitute :p

But my experience with American border security seems to corroborate the Big Brother-esque stories you see on the news.

Just don't look them in the eye. Remember they are more scared of you than you are of them. No sudden movements, kind of like if you had to walk around a big momma moose and her little baby.

After you get in country, just remember don't text during a movie preview and get in an argument with an ex-cop. He WILL shoot you.

Yeah, as a collective group of people we are pretty messed up, but thankfully daily living is mostly not like it is portrayed in the news.

Even though there are plenty of victims who get the raw end of the stick, many of the times they are not completely devoid of power to control the situation. A little common sense goes a long way. IE: when someone calls you out for using your cell phone during the movies, apologize and let it go and then you don't have to get shot and killed by a crazy ex-cop dude like the guy recently was.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 3:49:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

I thought about this for a while. It took me a lot longer to come up with an answer than I thought it would take.

I think it's a general truism that Americans are intensely private. Much of what's considered good in America resulted from private enterprise, and most people engaged in such don't see much need to brag about their successes. After all, success speaks for itself, yes?

At the same time, America has a loathing for "public good". So, most public channels deal with, well, sh!t. And of course everything you referenced deals with public channels.

So, I would say that if you find a good community, you may be exposed to great company, enlightening conversation, and a wonderful experience. It just varies by community.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 4:53:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

Well, if you really want to see the good...

...not everyone is mean. There are places where people are unpleasant, but Americans in general actually aren't that unpleasant. The culture here in the United States is pretty awesome, because it's so diverse. I know its seems as though Americas are xenophobic, but we're really not -- not by a long shot. Our cuisine and diverse neighborhoods reflect that.

I think the biggest thing about the U.S. as it's best cities is that you actually need to live there or visit for a pretty significant period to really understand what it has to offer. From cycling clubs to social activists to animal avengers, there is a lot that our nation's cities have to offer; one just needs to go to the right place or fall into the right group of people to find them.

Perhaps scaling down your answer or asking specific questions will help to narrow down your question, because right now, I'm drowning in it.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 5:09:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 11:52:20 PM, tulle wrote:
On a daily basis I see only negative things about American politics, culture and society, and it's done nothing but degrade my perception of the United States. I may possibly have to move there, but I've got zero positive feelings about it.

The Internet seems full of justified complaints about this country. Why would anyone want to live there? Help me see the good...

I haven't been following along. Are you convinced yet?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 5:22:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
@wrich---that's a really great answer.

I apologize to everyone for abandoning the thread. The "s" key stopped working on my keyboard, so I have to CTRL+V every time I want the letter "s" :/ Then quoting people on my phone sucks, so I can't really post...

@Maikuru---The fact that you're there convinced me to move there :p But yes, the thread has convinced me it's also "decent".
yang.