Jump to topic:

Is Teenage Pregnancy Bad?

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 8:12:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Teenage Pregnancy is considered an "issue" to society. It is viewed as irresponsible, shameful, and pitiful.

Why? Teenage pregnancy is actually what we're SUPPOSED to do as a species. First off, hormones are racing at that age for a reason. Secondly, babies are stronger with young mothers, and their health is inversely proportional to the age of the mother. Third, and also inversely proportional to motherly age, is the ease of the pregnancy on the mother's body. Lastly, babies born to young parents enjoy more activity (and indeed more overall years) with them because the parents are younger and more able to play and such.

Why is our culture so opposite to our biology in this respect?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 8:19:29 PM
At 1/25/2014 8:12:08 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Teenage Pregnancy is considered an "issue" to society. It is viewed as irresponsible, shameful, and pitiful.

Why? Teenage pregnancy is actually what we're SUPPOSED to do as a species. First off, hormones are racing at that age for a reason. Secondly, babies are stronger with young mothers, and their health is inversely proportional to the age of the mother. Third, and also inversely proportional to motherly age, is the ease of the pregnancy on the mother's body. Lastly, babies born to young parents enjoy more activity (and indeed more overall years) with them because the parents are younger and more able to play and such.

Because our biology will get someone into a lot of legitimate problems in a world were money and medical awareness exists.

I debated this once... http://www.debate.org...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 10:55:56 AM
donald.keller wins.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:20:28 AM
Because, in our society, teens don't support themselves, so how are they to raise a family? They rely on their family to do this, which is irresponsible.
Shameful and pitiful, I don't think I would say that, but I would say irresponsible and unfortunate.

Are you suggesting that 10 year olds should have children, simply because the babies would be the healthiest? Somehow, I don't think that is true.
And, I think the societal issue is more 15 year olds have kids, more than 18-19 year olds.

Culture often is opposed to biology, isn't it?
My work here is, finally, done.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:22:32 AM
Our biology is formatted to have as much sex as we can, produce as many babies as we can, and then die when we are done. The logic of "follow our biology" is a terrible idea. I think the rest is self explanatory.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 7:05:44 PM

It's not.

Teenagers are not fully grown, and do not reach "ideal" child-bearing age until the 18 - 24 age interval (that's when they're most fertile). They also have lower risk-assessment capabilities, which don't fully mature until 25.

The pregnancy itself isn't the problem, it's the other factors that are (such as low income neighbourhoods, irresponsible behaviour, etc.). Not all pregnant teenagers have these problems, some are actually very good parents, but there is a correlation.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 7:08:48 PM

Because in our culture, you're no self sufficient enough to take care of a child until you're an adult in most cases.

Impoverished pregnancy, pregnancy during drug abuse, and idiotic pregnancy are every bit as irresponsible.

If you're stupid rich or have an established career by the time you're 15, then procreate away. Otherwise, just wear a condom. It ain't that bad, it really isn't.