Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Some Ad Hominem Against Ayn Rand

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 11:00:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lol. A lot of things it quotes are in her journal-- basically like demonstrating Comon is a psychopath by quoting his drunken rant today. If she edited that stuff out when it came time for the stuff to be published within her lifetime, ya think maybe there's a reason for it? Some of it might even be deliberate cathartic nonsense.

As for amphetamines, far as I've read she took dextroamphetamine for weight control when it was prescribed for it and stopped taking them when her doctor said "oops nevermind new research." Not exactly what sounds like addiction to me.

The rest of the article isn't so much ad hominem from what I've scanned as it is just making bare assertions about the philosophy that not only seems to show off that the author has never read the published work, but the author is taking the basic ideas of other people who never read it-- who probably got them from people who read it without the least bit of understanding, and unbacked assertions about how reality is contrary when it gets close to what Rand said.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 6:42:10 PM
"They are thrilling psychological portraits of a horribly damaged woman who deserves the one thing she spent her life raging against: compassion."

I LOL'd so hard when I read that.

Just imagine how Ayn Rand would react to that statement! I'd love to see the look on her face let alone her reaction. I also liked:

"It's not hard to see this as a kind of political post-traumatic stress disorder."

What the hell does that mean? That could be said about any and everyone's political view. This statement is so non-sensical and easy to shred.

This whole paragraph was hilarious:

"In the end, Rand was destroyed by her own dogmas. She fell in love with a young follower called Nathaniel Branden and had a decades-long affair with him. He became the cult's No. 2, and she named him as her "intellectual heir"—until he admitted he had fallen in love with a 23-year-old woman. As Burns explains, Rand's philosophy "taught that sex was never physical; it was always inspired by a deeper recognition of shared values, a sense that the other embodied the highest human achievement." So to be sexually rejected by Branden meant he was rejecting her ideas, her philosophy, her entire person. She screamed: "You have rejected me? You have dared to reject me? Me, your highest value?"

And I also found this to be crazy:

"The figure Ayn Rand most resembles in American life is L. Ron Hubbard."

It's so retarded it just makes me lol, literally. This "critique" sucked. There was nothing interesting or relevant about it.
President of DDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 8:25:55 PM
Ha, nothing new there really. It was in vogue a few years ago to diagnose her as a person with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (even BPD lol) who drove people literally crazy.