Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Decline of Popularity of Books, Good/Bad?

MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 4:36:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems that books are losing their popularity thanks to technology. Movies, TV shows, and videogames can provide the same things books can but in a shorter period of time. I do realize written stories are moving onto things like the Kindle or iPad, but I still think popularity is declining. Is it bad that things like this are beginning to replace reading? Is it better for story telling in general to have movies take over? Are my unsearched statements completely wrong? Let me know!
Guess what I used to type this..

Careful! Don't laugh too hard.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 5:23:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes, I'd say it's a bad thing. I had a chat one time with a pretty intelligent dude who was writing a thesis on this actually. His idea, basically, had to do with visuals having the potential to be more traumatising than anything you might be brought to imagine by text; that is, it had to do with visuals having the potential to excite much more than the rational. And he was right. See, people lose themselves in the realness, and rather than trying to change things, just hope that everything is okay, standing very still so as not to enrage the beast they are witness to. Fight or flight, eh? And then in rushes Stockholm Syndrome and half the world is addicted to televised gore, serial killers have been domesticated. The purely conceptual, then, on the other hand, offers much more play, I think. The monsters aren't real, and preparations can be made for their potential coming. Not that people aren't often far too wrapped up in "the real" when it comes to the conceptual, too, though.