Jump to topic:

Why Opposing Gay Marriage Isn't Homophobic

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 11:44:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am not in support of gay marriage and one of the things I hear the most when people find that out about me is that I'm "homophobic" or a "gay hater" which is simply not the case. And here is why.

I will be speaking from the Christian position as it is the one I occupy. To me homosexual acts (not urges, as we all have the urge to sin) is a sin. Same as lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, coveting etc. When someone is a liar I disagree and can be disappointed that they lie but I do not alienate them or banish them from my social circle for doing so. We all sin.

To me, marriage by definition is between a man and a woman. Two people of the same gender cannot be married by definition. That is my belief and therefore do not support gay marriage.

However, that does not mean I hate gays or am scared of them (as the term homophobic implies). I treat gay people the same way I treat anyone who sins - the same. If I like you I like you if I don't I don't. Simple.

So my opposition to gay marriage and my view that homosexual acts are a sin has no bearing on how I treat people as a whole or treat people on a case by case basis.

Calling people these things arbitrarily is wrong. Just wanted to point that out.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 11:48:29 AM
At 1/31/2014 11:44:29 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I am not in support of gay marriage and one of the things I hear the most when people find that out about me is that I'm "homophobic" or a "gay hater" which is simply not the case. And here is why.

I will be speaking from the Christian position as it is the one I occupy. To me homosexual acts (not urges, as we all have the urge to sin) is a sin. Same as lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, coveting etc. When someone is a liar I disagree and can be disappointed that they lie but I do not alienate them or banish them from my social circle for doing so. We all sin.

To me, marriage by definition is between a man and a woman. Two people of the same gender cannot be married by definition. That is my belief and therefore do not support gay marriage.

However, that does not mean I hate gays or am scared of them (as the term homophobic implies). I treat gay people the same way I treat anyone who sins - the same. If I like you I like you if I don't I don't. Simple.

So my opposition to gay marriage and my view that homosexual acts are a sin has no bearing on how I treat people as a whole or treat people on a case by case basis.

Calling people these things arbitrarily is wrong. Just wanted to point that out.

What you're not understanding is that you're considering homosexuality in general "wrong," which you're contextualizing as "sin," thus being homophobic.

On that note, I'd like you to take a look at this:

Romans 2:1 - You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 11:49:27 AM

We all know this already. So whats the point. =)
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 12:01:00 PM
It is my personal belief that a 'sandwich' consists EXCLUSIVELY of: Hovis 'Best of Both' (thick sliced), Hellmann's mayonnaise, and Aldi extra mature cheddar and Aldi breaded ham.

This is my definition of a 'sandwich', and therefore I support the illegality of the sale of anything other than those four ingredients as a 'sandwich'.

The moral of this story is: personal preferences are fantastic, but they should not be inscribed in law.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:07:28 PM
At 1/31/2014 11:48:29 AM, Such wrote:

What you're not understanding is that you're considering homosexuality in general "wrong," which you're contextualizing as "sin," thus being homophobic.

On that note, I'd like you to take a look at this:

Romans 2:1 - You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

I'm not judging. I'm a sinner. The whole point of this post was to say yes I believe it's wrong, no I don't judge you for it. I believe it's wrong, same as other things. I'm not liarphobic or theifphobic.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:08:31 PM
At 1/31/2014 12:01:00 PM, Wocambs wrote:
It is my personal belief that a 'sandwich' consists EXCLUSIVELY of: Hovis 'Best of Both' (thick sliced), Hellmann's mayonnaise, and Aldi extra mature cheddar and Aldi breaded ham.

This is my definition of a 'sandwich', and therefore I support the illegality of the sale of anything other than those four ingredients as a 'sandwich'.

The moral of this story is: personal preferences are fantastic, but they should not be inscribed in law.

I don't openly oppose it in the courts, in legislation etc. I don't support it. You can believe that's the definition of a sandwich and see someone eating not a sandwich and calling it a sandwich. You won't believe it's a sandwich but that doesn't mean you're ripping it out of their hand and stomping on it.

Lack of support =/= support for the opposition.
Cooldudebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:13:40 PM
Yeah. I think that opposing gay marriage doesn't make e us homophobic. It is like saying supporters are heterophobic.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:24:33 PM
At 1/31/2014 2:08:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I don't openly oppose it in the courts, in legislation etc. I don't support it. You can believe that's the definition of a sandwich and see someone eating not a sandwich and calling it a sandwich. You won't believe it's a sandwich but that doesn't mean you're ripping it out of their hand and stomping on it.

Fair enough... I would still encourage you to consider that, at least from my experience, most people operate by 'positive feedback' in their relationships with others.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:26:31 PM
At 1/31/2014 2:24:33 PM, Wocambs wrote:

Fair enough... I would still encourage you to consider that, at least from my experience, most people operate by 'positive feedback' in their relationships with others.

What are you referring to with your comment about positive feedback?
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:34:34 PM
At 1/31/2014 2:26:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Just some hippie sh!t, I suppose. If you support my liberty I'll probably feel more inclined to support yours. As a conservative Christian you probably aren't suffering from much undesired lack of freedom, but still.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:39:31 PM
At 1/31/2014 2:34:34 PM, Wocambs wrote:

Just some hippie sh!t, I suppose. If you support my liberty I'll probably feel more inclined to support yours. As a conservative Christian you probably aren't suffering from much undesired lack of freedom, but still.

Oh I see what you mean. I know. And for somethings that's fine but you can't ask someone to go against some kind of core internal beliefs or feelings in the name of positive feedback.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:50:08 PM

So, does this mean you think gays relationships should not be afforded legal protections/benefits like straights do?
My work here is, finally, done.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:53:20 PM
At 1/31/2014 2:50:08 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

So, does this mean you think gays relationships should not be afforded legal protections/benefits like straights do?

I don't care either way. That's a legal/governmental issue. I just don't believe a marriage between two men is a real marriage by definition. If the government wants to recognize it, fine, I just won't agree.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 2:54:13 PM
At 1/31/2014 2:39:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/31/2014 2:34:34 PM, Wocambs wrote:

Oh I see what you mean. I know. And for somethings that's fine but you can't ask someone to go against some kind of core internal beliefs or feelings in the name of positive feedback.

Yeah, telling people they have to do something would be a little presumptuous of me.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 3:00:15 PM
At 1/31/2014 2:53:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I don't care either way. That's a legal/governmental issue. I just don't believe a marriage between two men is a real marriage by definition. If the government wants to recognize it, fine, I just won't agree.

So long as you're not actively trying to get it banned, your position is entirely respectful (and this is coming from a gay male).
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 3:01:48 PM
At 1/31/2014 3:00:15 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/31/2014 2:53:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

So long as you're not actively trying to get it banned, your position is entirely respectful (and this is coming from a gay male).

Well good, I'm glad my point came across the way I wanted then.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 3:07:57 PM
Why Opposing Gay Marriage Isn't Homophobic. Who says it is? Only an abject, political hack, indoctrinated, moron with no intellect would make such a claim.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 7:21:31 PM
At 1/31/2014 11:48:29 AM, Such wrote:

If thinking homosexuality is wrong makes you homophobic then what's wrong with homophobia? [I am not kidding I would like a serious answer]
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 8:18:06 PM
I treat gay people the same way I treat anyone who sins - the same.

I treat people being maimed the same way I treat everyone else - ignore them.

This is a matter of tax deductions and other marriage benefits. Everything would be solved if nobody beat anyone else and gays, bachelors, and ugly people got the same government benefits.
0x5f3759df
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 9:00:02 PM

I will be speaking from the Christian position as it is the one I occupy. To me homosexual acts (not urges, as we all have the urge to sin) is a sin. Same as lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, coveting etc.

Something I've never really understood is how people can say things like "Yeah, gay sex is a sin just like killing people," equating someone consensually having sex with someone of the same sex with murdering, and not realise why others who don't hold those views might think of that as a little closed-minded, insulting, or homophobic. That said, I wouldn't consider someone homophobic simply because they oppose or don't support gay marriage.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 12:25:14 AM
At 2/1/2014 9:00:02 PM, Enji wrote:

I will be speaking from the Christian position as it is the one I occupy. To me homosexual acts (not urges, as we all have the urge to sin) is a sin. Same as lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, coveting etc.

Something I've never really understood is how people can say things like "Yeah, gay sex is a sin just like killing people," equating someone consensually having sex with someone of the same sex with murdering, and not realise why others who don't hold those views might think of that as a little closed-minded, insulting, or homophobic. That said, I wouldn't consider someone homophobic simply because they oppose or don't support gay marriage.

Sin is sin. A white lie is the same as senseless mass murder according to us.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 12:39:40 AM

You're a homophobe. Pure and simple.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 12:45:33 AM
By the way, I am a religious person who shares some Christian views. But the Bible is very much a homophobic book with some other strong prejudices. The view of women in the Bible is very sad, as is its defense of human slavery.

Though the Bible has some great wisdom in it, it also has a lot of garbage in it, just like many other so-called "holy books".
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 4:28:40 AM

To deny gay couples the same right to get married that straight couples have, you're denying them equal rights. That's discriminatory, and therefor 'homophobic'.

First off, no, you aren't speaking from a 'Christian' position, you're speaking from YOUR position. I'm offended that you'd even associate such views with Christianity, though I appreciate your attempts to at least try to look accepting of others. What you fail to understand is that you're equating a completely natural trait, as natural as race, to sin. That's discriminatory.

Secondly, nowhere in the New Testament is homosexuality condemned, or even really mentioned. If homosexuality was truly a sin, I'm sure Jesus would have thought to touch upon it in his teachings. You might argue, and you'd be wrong, that homosexuality is condemned in the Old Testament teachings, but as Christians we only follow the new laws set up by Jesus in the New Testament. The Hebrew Bible is a jumping point, not a foundation; that's why we don't stone heathens and rape little girls as spoils of war.

Come to think of it, I can only think of one instance of homosexual behavior ever being condemned in the Bible- in Leviticus. Translated to Hebrew, the book's title means "relating to the Levites", so one can assume the teachings in this book are only applied to Levite priests. The fact that Leviticus only ever mentions male-on-male sex supports this.

The definition of marriage isn't confined to a single religion (or any religion), culture, morality or practice. The religious right has no right to impose it's views on other people who don't necessarily have the same religious beliefs.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:15:46 AM

It's a bit extreme to say murder is on the same level as gay marriage.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:18:29 AM
At 1/31/2014 2:13:40 PM, Cooldudebro wrote:
Yeah. I think that opposing gay marriage doesn't make e us homophobic. It is like saying supporters are heterophobic.

No, and that's an incredibly stupid analogy.

If we we re trying to outlaw your right to marry then that'd make us all "heterophobic", but there's a bit of a difference isn't there?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 9:12:22 AM
At 2/2/2014 5:15:46 AM, DudeStop wrote:

Sins don't work like crimes or at least i don't think. No sin is bigger than another so the comparison isn't really extreme
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 9:18:48 AM
At 2/2/2014 9:12:22 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 2/2/2014 5:15:46 AM, DudeStop wrote:

Sins don't work like crimes or at least i don't think. No sin is bigger than another so the comparison isn't really extreme

Well he's it is. I hardly see how marrying another man should be considered the same level of evil as killing a family of 5. But who would give us this idea if not the godly? Who would tell us that murder and marrying a person of the same gender is at the same level?

If I steal a Penny from a rich man, is that just as bad as if I had stolen the car that happens to be an extremely poor mans home?

If it is, we are basically hopeless...
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 9:19:32 AM
At 2/2/2014 12:39:40 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

You're a homophobe. Pure and simple.

And you're and idiot, pure and simple. But no its not pure and simple. He clearly said he doesn't hate gays. He may not approve of it but he doest hate it. The stronger the supporter for something the more blinded the argument. He isn't denying anyone of anything. That was more directed at mrvan buy still. 1 he's just going by his beliefs 2 he has the right to follow those beliefs without fear of persecution and 3 homophobes are extremists in most cases his beliefs are in NO WAY extreme
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.