Jump to topic:

What is bullying?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 7:43:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Seriously, this is becoming a buzz word that has lost its meaning.
What entails bullying to you, DDO?

Is insulting bullying? How does that differentiated between constructive criticism?
Is name calling bullying?
Is frequency a factor?
Does bullying entail violence? Does it only exist with violence?
My work here is, finally, done.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 3:04:59 PM
What is bullying?

Give me your lunch money or I'll kick your azz
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 3:42:58 PM
At 2/1/2014 3:04:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
What is bullying?

Give me your lunch money or I'll kick your azz

That's what I take it as, and that is illegal (theft, threat, assault/battery).
So, I don't see what the big epidemic of bullying is...or why there needs to be more protections or policies in place, since it is already illegal.
My work here is, finally, done.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 5:13:00 PM
The over sensitive millennials think that anytime anyone offends them it is bullying.

Being offended isn't bad and nor do you have a right not to be offended.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 5:20:05 PM
At 2/1/2014 5:13:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The over sensitive millennials think that anytime anyone offends them it is bullying.

I agree.

In addition to breaking-the-law bullying, there is also mass bullying. Ostracism and racism are bullying; these forms of bullying however cannot be achieved by one person alone or a small group of people.
0x5f3759df
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 5:26:23 PM
Some kind of oppression or subjugation, I think. I'm sure if a paedophile posted an account of why she thought paedophilia might be justifiable a large number of people would respond with pure insults of the nastiest variety in the attempt to get said paedophile to go away, and I would consider that bullying; however, it seems to be one of those things that is 'permissible', to some extent. Perhaps it isn't the most 'virtuous' thing to do, but that doesn't mean there's some universally binding reason as to why it is impermissible behaviour.

I've been in plenty of conversations where three or four people have relentlessly attacked a single racist interlocutor, and I reckon that was bullying, but I don't particularly care.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 5:46:39 PM
At 2/1/2014 7:43:18 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Is insulting bullying? How does that differentiated between constructive criticism?
Is frequency a factor?

You can't really say something is bullying or not bullying as a yes/no or black/white thing. There are different degrees to which bullying is done and not all of them are equal to each other.

Bullying can be viewed as taking action to intentionally make someone feel inferior. This can be done physically or physiologically. This also distinguishes from actions that may inadvertently make someone feel inferior (for example, if a company fires an employee, the employee may feel inferior, but the company did not fire them just to make them feel that way, so it isn't bullying).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:31:55 PM

Is frequency a factor?

I believe "bullying" is the adolescent version of "harassment".
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:38:02 PM

Freedom of Speech is the Freedom to Offend and be Offended. It is the overly-sensitive that right protects us from.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:52:35 PM

Is frequency a factor?

Insulting or offending or making someone feel bad is not bullying necessarily. Bullying requires a power differential. Without that, you might be a d*ck, but you aren't a bully.

The power differential may take many different forms, such as with physical intimidation, which I would think is the most common form, but it can take other forms as well.

When someone claims bullying is going on, I always want to know what the power differential is...sometimes it's merely a perceived differential, but the question is whether that perception is warranted.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:41:23 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:38:02 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Freedom of Speech is the Freedom to Offend and be Offended. It is the overly-sensitive that right protects us from.

Agreed. But we've lost sight of that and let the over sensitive idiots get a strangle hold on us again.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:45:26 PM

Yes insulting is a form of bullying. The difference is that constructive criticism maintains the dignity of the individual. Many parents bully their children and as a result kids don't have a clue on how to give constructive feedback, let alone how to even receive it.

Yes
Is frequency a factor?
Yes
Yes it includes violence, but does not only need to include physical violence.

I don't think it has lost its meaning. People are mean to each other and not just in school. It continues into adulthood. The only difference is that big business has a better handle on eliminating it or they risk to loose a lot of money.

I understand there is a lot of gray area. If I am the team captain and have to pick my team of course I pick the best people first and the worst last.

The nonathletic kid is always picked last. That is really not bullying. Sure maybe coach should just choose teams to avoid that awkward situation because in reality the nonatheletic kids are not there by choice.

When the kids start sighing and making disparaging remarks at the nonathletic kids, shut the f' up and be decent. If you want competitive sports go find a league with kids who are your same level.

While I did bully a few kids around 7th grade, I'm glad I figured it out and actually started sticking up for some folks that I was not even really friends with. It was not hard to understand some of these kids were being harassed.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:58:29 PM
At 2/3/2014 2:41:23 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/3/2014 1:38:02 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Agreed. But we've lost sight of that and let the over sensitive idiots get a strangle hold on us again.

So true. Good education can fix that... But if you propose that we need more education, the overly-stupid will get offended....
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --