Jump to topic:

Why do some people say

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:39:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
the phrase "white privilege." There is no such a thing. Privilege is for the rich, fancy Hollywood types who have money. I believe the phrase people are looking for is "white favoritism." That does exist. I believe some people are really confused with the words.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:49:09 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:39:30 PM, Adam2 wrote:
the phrase "white privilege." There is no such a thing. Privilege is for the rich, fancy Hollywood types who have money. I believe the phrase people are looking for is "white favoritism." That does exist. I believe some people are really confused with the words.

No, you just don't understand what the term "privilege" means in this context.

In the context of these sorts of discussion, "white privilege" most certainly exists.

For example: White people are incredibly unlikely to be targeted by the police for their race. Minorities are far more likely to have regularly experienced it.

Thus, when talking about a specific incident, a person with no experience being targeted for their race is going to have a different perspective than a person who has regularly experienced it.

That, in this context, is privilege.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:51:55 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:49:09 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

In the context of these sorts of discussion, "white privilege" most certainly exists.

For example: White people are incredibly unlikely to be targeted by the police for their race. Minorities are far more likely to have regularly experienced it.

Thus, when talking about a specific incident, a person with no experience being targeted for their race is going to have a different perspective than a person who has regularly experienced it.

Yeah but "privilege" implied being wealthy, what you're talking about is saying that Jim Crow does still exist, and I agree, but there is no such thing as that. I used to think "privilege," in THIS context means being wealthy. So that's why I find that phrase a bit bizarre. If people said "white favoritism," then I can see.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:53:57 PM

Pardon me, I meant that doesn't exist, referring to "privilege"
Everything I agree, but that's not privilege, that's just terrorizing people, like segregationists used to do.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:55:13 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:51:55 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Yeah but "privilege" implied being wealthy

Not in this context, it does not.

what you're talking about is saying that Jim Crow does still exist, and I agree, but there is no such thing as that. I used to think "privilege," in THIS context means being wealthy. So that's why I find that phrase a bit bizarre. If people said "white favoritism," then I can see.

Words have meaning from their context. In the case of "privilege", it's intended to indicate benefits you're getting. White privilege is benefits that you get (and might not even realize you're getting) just for being white. You're privileged not to have to worry about being harassed about your ethnicity.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:59:05 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:55:13 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

what you're talking about is saying that Jim Crow does still exist, and I agree, but there is no such thing as that. I used to think "privilege," in THIS context means being wealthy. So that's why I find that phrase a bit bizarre. If people said "white favoritism," then I can see.

Words have meaning from their context. In the case of "privilege", it's intended to indicate benefits you're getting. White privilege is benefits that you get (and might not even realize you're getting) just for being white. You're privileged not to have to worry about being harassed about your ethnicity.

OK, I get it. Now "white privilege" (in that terminology) can exist in this one scenario, which would be that whites get paid more for the same job than other races, so obviously the group being paid more will have more access to nice things than the downtrodden group. So in that case "white priviledge" can exist. It's a form of elitism.

Now, there will always be those who say mean words, but is that oppression? I don't consider it white privilege if someone says the N-word. Yes that person is a mean and nasty person, but they're not oppressing you. "privilege" you might be referring to might be that you don't have to suffer intimidation and harassment (even though I believe there is a thin line between saying nice words and annoying someone to outright chasing them to the point where you wanna beat them up, which is when it becomes harassment).
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:00:01 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:55:13 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

*even though I believe there is a thin line between saying mean words and annoying someone to outright chasing them to the point where you wanna beat them up, which is when it becomes harassment
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:01:25 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:59:05 PM, Adam2 wrote:

OK, I get it. Now "white privilege" (in that terminology) can exist in this one scenario, which would be that whites get paid more for the same job than other races, so obviously the group being paid more will have more access to nice things than the downtrodden group. So in that case "white priviledge" can exist. It's a form of elitism.

Now, there will always be those who say mean words, but is that oppression?

Privilege doesn't necessarily mean "oppression" per se. It's just a set of benefits that are generally available to a group.

I don't consider it white privilege if someone says the N-word. Yes that person is a mean and nasty person, but they're not oppressing you.

The N-word doesn't affect a white person. That there isn't a comparable word is a form of white privilege--a white person is just unlikely to be able to fully empathize, because they simply don't have the same experience. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but means it must be factored in.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:04:59 PM
At 2/3/2014 2:01:25 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Privilege doesn't necessarily mean "oppression" per se. It's just a set of benefits that are generally available to a group.

I don't consider it white privilege if someone says the N-word. Yes that person is a mean and nasty person, but they're not oppressing you.

The N-word doesn't affect a white person. That there isn't a comparable word is a form of white privilege--a white person is just unlikely to be able to fully empathize, because they simply don't have the same experience. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but means it must be factored in.

I meant "privilege" in the way I meant it before when I was talk about getting paid more, just to clarify. But the N-word doesn't affect blacks anymore either. There is no laws against them. There are unfair practices but we're not in Jim Crow anymore. There are a lot of things not perfect. But blacks don't have to live in terror anymore. And while there are discrimination cases, blacks have the same access to opportunities that whites have. There will always be verbal taunts by racists. The best thing to do is ignore them. It's when it affects you that you should take action
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:06:54 PM

Yes there are brutal cops, however nothing like we used to see in Jim Crow.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:08:18 PM

And I definitely believe that action is taken against them if they do engage or try to engage in hurting another black person. There is corruption, but Jim Crow is long gone.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:08:48 PM
At 2/3/2014 2:04:59 PM, Adam2 wrote:

I meant "privilege" in the way I meant it before when I was talk about getting paid more, just to clarify. But the N-word doesn't affect blacks anymore either.

Yes, it does "affect" them. The experience of being called a racial epithet like the N-word is one that you (if you're a white guy), are unfamiliar with. There are some epithets, to be sure, but none of them on par.

There is no laws against them. There are unfair practices but we're not in Jim Crow anymore. There are a lot of things not perfect. But blacks don't have to live in terror anymore. And while there are discrimination cases, blacks have the same access to opportunities that whites have. There will always be verbal taunts by racists. The best thing to do is ignore them. It's when it affects you that you should take action

None of this has to do with the concept of privilege.

Privilege is just a series of benefits that are basically inherent to membership in one group, usually used in the context of reducing your ability to empathize with the struggles of another group due to your lack of visceral knowledge.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:10:43 PM
At 2/3/2014 2:08:48 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I meant "privilege" in the way I meant it before when I was talk about getting paid more, just to clarify. But the N-word doesn't affect blacks anymore either.

Yes, it does "affect" them. The experience of being called a racial epithet like the N-word is one that you (if you're a white guy), are unfamiliar with. There are some epithets, to be sure, but none of them on par.

There is no laws against them. There are unfair practices but we're not in Jim Crow anymore. There are a lot of things not perfect. But blacks don't have to live in terror anymore. And while there are discrimination cases, blacks have the same access to opportunities that whites have. There will always be verbal taunts by racists. The best thing to do is ignore them. It's when it affects you that you should take action

Privilege is just a series of benefits that are basically inherent to membership in one group, usually used in the context of reducing your ability to empathize with the struggles of another group due to your lack of visceral knowledge.

I'm not gonna lie. I can never understand what blacks have been through. But you can't deny things are better today than they were 50, even 40 years ago.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:12:21 PM
At 2/3/2014 2:08:48 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I'm actually Hispanic.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:16:23 PM
At 2/3/2014 2:10:43 PM, Adam2 wrote:

I'm not gonna lie. I can never understand what blacks have been through. But you can't deny things are better today than they were 50, even 40 years ago.

Not trying to. But there's still privilege.

Pretty much every social group has SOME measure of privilege. "White Privilege" happens to be pretty comprehensive. There's also "male privilege", or "female privilege".

When one group has MORE privilege than the other, though, is when usually they're the "privileged" group.

Thus, since whites get more benefits thanks to their skin color, they're considered to be the more-privileged.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 2:20:30 PM
At 2/3/2014 2:16:23 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/3/2014 2:10:43 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Not trying to. But there's still privilege.

Pretty much every social group has SOME measure of privilege. "White Privilege" happens to be pretty comprehensive. There's also "male privilege", or "female privilege".

When one group has MORE privilege than the other, though, is when usually they're the "privileged" group.

Thus, since whites get more benefits thanks to their skin color, they're considered to be the more-privileged.

The thing I was trying to say is that the word "privilege" sounds a bit confusing. I never knew though that it was used in that context and I thank you for opening my eyes to it. It's just that "privilege" in that context usually means rich, or at least richer -- with more access to a well-off life.
I guess "favoritism" is the word I use mostly. But I'll try to keep an open mind on the issue of "white privilege".