Jump to topic:

What does it feel like to be a woman?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 7:48:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There is a lot of talk of gender identity of late, and I am really confused.

How, exactly, does one feel like another gender?
I am an effeminate male, does that mean I have an identity crisis?
Do men who feel they are women have PMS on a fairly regulated schedule?
Is it just an issue of breaking traditional sex roles, or is it something more?
Is it something more than just wanting or wishing you were the other sex?
My work here is, finally, done.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:41:43 AM
On another site I'm on a dude just pulled a Bradley Manning. He's a pretty weird dude too. I'd put it down to his not having many friends, to be honest, rather than anything strictly physiological - pretty much the exact same thing as Bradley Manning. I mean, what does it mean to feel masculine? There are traits, sure, but it's all down to circumstance, really. The African American gangster might be thought to be hugely compensating in this respect. I have a lot of English friends living in Ireland, too, and the same could definitely be said about them, as masculine as they might come across at first glance. And then there's the camp gay man - even with them there's a power play to be perceived. The new episode of Elementary has a lesbian woman named Gaye in it. I laughed, but it was to illustrate that it's thought behind it all, rather than physiology - and it was a pretty damn good and simple illustration. It's all about finding where you fit, basically, and testing the viability of where you are currently. None of it means anything otherwise. There is no camp gene, no wearing your pants around your ankles gene. These are just defiance, and as masculine as any of that other nonsense.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:44:20 PM
At 2/5/2014 7:48:00 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
There is a lot of talk of gender identity of late, and I am really confused.

How, exactly, does one feel like another gender?

I'm not trans so I don't know. But this might help: [http://www.nhs.uk...].

I am an effeminate male, does that mean I have an identity crisis?

Not necessarily.

Do men who feel they are women have PMS on a fairly regulated schedule?

Do they have female genitalia?

Is it just an issue of breaking traditional sex roles, or is it something more?

That's part of it.

Is it something more than just wanting or wishing you were the other sex?

Yes. You can abstractly wish to be a woman or a man sometimes. But that's not gender dysphoria or "feeling like a woman". The thing about trans people who suffer from gender dyshphoria isn't that they just wish to be another sex. It's that their internal gender identity tells them they already are. They suffer (in many cases) from the alienation that comes from (a) exhibiting physical traits which they do not identify with and (b) the social stigma that comes from people who don't understand, don't want to understand, or who react violently, aggressively, or in a discriminatory manner in response to them.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:07:29 PM
I can't speak for transsexuals because I am not one but from what I have heard it is an intense discomfort with one's body's sexual characteristics - because they do not align with one's identity - that is constant and inescapable. It, along with the discrimination and hatred they face that often makes homophobia, as bad as that is, look small in comparison, explains why so many transsexual people commit suicide every day. I don't see any reason to deny the legitimacy of any transsexual person who claims to be a different gender than the sex of the body they were born with. And as for hormone therapy and SRS, you need a gender dysphoria diagnosis from an MD for that anyway. So it is not an arbitrary thing at all.