Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 9:32:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Belt?
It's always interested me.

After all, there are parts of the Midwest, especially the Dakotas, that have been orthodox Calvinist in their form of Lutheranism (the only two lutheran states), yet they're not the Bible Belt. Why?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 1:41:11 AM
At 3/3/2014 9:32:55 PM, Adam2 wrote:
Belt?

After all, there are parts of the Midwest, especially the Dakotas, that have been orthodox Calvinist in their form of Lutheranism (the only two lutheran states), yet they're not the Bible Belt. Why?

Sure, one of course finds folks of faith in the Midwest, but that gospel-haunted strip of American territory (to use Capote's characterization) known as the "Bible Belt", where not so wholesome and righteous Southern belles & beaus overcompensate for high statistical rates of hanky-panky, "sinfulness", and social ills with excessive bible thumping and fundamentalist religiosity, is a stronghold of a typically more staunchly conservative, evangelical, sola scriptura brand of Christianity, hence its designation as the "Bible Belt".
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 9:52:01 AM
At 3/4/2014 1:41:11 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 3/3/2014 9:32:55 PM, Adam2 wrote:
Belt?

Sure, one of course finds folks of faith in the Midwest, but that gospel-haunted strip of American territory (to use Capote's characterization) known as the "Bible Belt", where not so wholesome and righteous Southern belles & beaus overcompensate for high statistical rates of hanky-panky, "sinfulness", and social ills with excessive bible thumping and fundamentalist religiosity, is a stronghold of a typically more staunchly conservative, evangelical, sola scriptura brand of Christianity, hence its designation as the "Bible Belt".

But North and South Dakota are home to orthodox and Calvinist forms of Lutheranism (being that Lutheranism is the main religion in those states)