Jump to topic:

Teenage suicide is a selfish act

Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 11:59:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't think anything justifies a cop-out from life. Unless he gives his life to save another, I think suicide is the most selfish act a teenager can commit. Here we have a bunch of whiny kids who think they have it so bad, but fail to realize adolescence is only the beginning of their life and the problems throughout. I was once a teenager, and had my own problems to deal with, but I got through and the thought of suicide never once entered my head. I learned to deal with my problems. It makes me sick when I hear a 16 year old complain about how bad life is and how his parents don't understand him and that he wants to kill himself. All I want to do is slap him across the face. It's called life, deal with it. Suicide from drugs and alcohol is completely preventable and clinical depression is treatable. Failing to see the good in being alive and wanting to kill oneself is the definition and a prime example of a little ingrate who's got literally no idea about life in general.
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument
http://www.debate.org...

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 1:05:31 AM
You're retarded dude. Please don't make anymore posts. The rest of us will figure it all out and get back to you.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:57:10 AM
At 3/7/2014 1:05:31 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You're retarded dude. Please don't make anymore posts. The rest of us will figure it all out and get back to you.

Call me whatever you want, but what's retarded is failing to realize the good in being alive when you're so young, and 99% of the things that drive teens to suicide are completely preventable. Although if there's clinical depression or something like that involved, they should see a doctor. But most of the time it all comes down to the decisions you make. So what's wrong with my post? Being "Christian" doesn't mean I need to be "nice" when it comes to this kind of thing.

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 9:00:35 AM
At 3/7/2014 1:06:18 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Christians again, of course.

Not everyone's going to live up to the stereotypes of nice and warm Christians today. I'm not like that a lot because a lot of times that isn't required for me.

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 2:22:44 PM
At 3/6/2014 11:59:38 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:
I don't think anything justifies a cop-out from life. Unless he gives his life to save another, I think suicide is the most selfish act a teenager can commit. Here we have a bunch of whiny kids who think they have it so bad, but fail to realize adolescence is only the beginning of their life and the problems throughout. I was once a teenager, and had my own problems to deal with, but I got through and the thought of suicide never once entered my head. I learned to deal with my problems. It makes me sick when I hear a 16 year old complain about how bad life is and how his parents don't understand him and that he wants to kill himself. All I want to do is slap him across the face. It's called life, deal with it. Suicide from drugs and alcohol is completely preventable and clinical depression is treatable. Failing to see the good in being alive and wanting to kill oneself is the definition and a prime example of a little ingrate who's got literally no idea about life in general.

You should read up on some psychology. Depression is more than just saying "I hate life." It's a mental condition that can be pretty serious.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 2:43:58 PM
At 3/7/2014 2:22:44 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

You should read up on some psychology. Depression is more than just saying "I hate life." It's a mental condition that can be pretty serious.

That's odd. I though I mentioned clinical depression. But clinical depression from my understanding is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, but as serious as it is, thankfully it's treatable and can prevent suicide.

This mostly written assuming the person doesn't have a serious mental illness, but I should've mentioned that to begin with.

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 5:36:21 PM

Stereotype much?

"Oh, life is hard for me." =/= "I want to kill myself."

Indeed, "I want to kill myself" =/= "I want to kill myself." :P
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:37:06 PM
At 3/7/2014 5:36:21 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Stereotype much?

"Oh, life is hard for me." =/= "I want to kill myself."

Indeed, "I want to kill myself" =/= "I want to kill myself." :P

Sure. But not exactly in this case. I was a teenager who had teenage friends. From my experiences, that's how it works for them. "I hate my parents and my school!!!" And one thing led to another....

sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:56:45 PM
If someone's depressed the last thing they generally would want is someone telling them they're selfish, wrong, telling them what to do, etc. IMO it's best to level with people, rather than condescending to them as an authority figure.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 9:47:53 PM

I guess you've never been suicidal, so you don't know what that's like. This really isn't a productive post to make, either. I agree that suicide is a cop-out from life, but this is a serious subject... and I don't think you grasp the gravity or significance of what's at stake.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:24:06 PM
At 3/7/2014 9:47:53 PM, YYW wrote:

I guess you've never been suicidal, so you don't know what that's like. This really isn't a productive post to make, either. I agree that suicide is a cop-out from life, but this is a serious subject... and I don't think you grasp the gravity or significance of what's at stake.

I just realised I made your sig. Now I can die happy.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:25:04 PM

Ah....that wasn't supposed to go in this forum.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:25:42 PM
At 3/7/2014 10:24:06 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I just realised I made your sig. Now I can die happy.

There are a lot more things in life to aspire to than making my signature. Shoot higher than that, man... but I did like the quote.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:26:08 PM
At 3/7/2014 10:25:04 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

What wasn't supposed to go in this forum?
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:27:07 PM
At 3/7/2014 10:26:08 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/7/2014 10:25:04 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

What wasn't supposed to go in this forum?

My post. It was a joke about death in a suicide forum. For some reason, I thought I was responding to you in Bullish's thread about fonts.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:48:13 PM

I am talking about teenage suicide, though. Adult suicide is a different matter in its own right. I was certainly tempted to toy with the idea of suicide at a few points in my life, but I did everything possible to keep those thoughts out of my head. If teenagers are feeling suicidal, the first thing they need to do is get help, not write their final thoughts down.

Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:49:19 PM
At 3/7/2014 8:56:45 PM, sdavio wrote:
If someone's depressed the last thing they generally would want is someone telling them they're selfish, wrong, telling them what to do, etc. IMO it's best to level with people, rather than condescending to them as an authority figure.

I believe it would also be best to get them some help. Or convince them to get some.

Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 10:51:59 PM
Every time I make a new thread it always lands on the DDO homepage and gets a bunch of attention.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 11:01:41 PM
At 3/7/2014 10:48:13 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:

I am talking about teenage suicide, though. Adult suicide is a different matter in its own right. I was certainly tempted to toy with the idea of suicide at a few points in my life, but I did everything possible to keep those thoughts out of my head. If teenagers are feeling suicidal, the first thing they need to do is get help, not write their final thoughts down.

Both are equally serious, and I would argue that teenage suicide is more serious because it's more likely to happen and it's harder to prevent.
Tsar of DDO
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 12:10:48 AM
At 3/7/2014 2:43:58 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:
At 3/7/2014 2:22:44 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

That's odd. I though I mentioned clinical depression. But clinical depression from my understanding is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, but as serious as it is, thankfully it's treatable and can prevent suicide.

This mostly written assuming the person doesn't have a serious mental illness, but I should've mentioned that to begin with.

There are particular modes of thinking that lead into clinical depression that are just as serious in-and-of themselves as actual depression. Most of the time they could be stopped if they were very noticeable, but most people don't realize they're participating in those modes of thinking, or they actually enjoy it subconsciously. Any scenario where one breaks survival instinct intentionally is a scenario where someone is legitimately depressed. It's possible to treat, but it's difficult to break that mode of thinking since it also generally starts at a young age.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 1:20:27 PM

I tried to kill myself probably a year ago. I must say it was due to depression and just feeling sorry for myself. So yes, I think it's a selfish act, and I think it reflects a selfish person, but sometimes this may not be entirely their fault.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 1:21:01 PM
At 3/9/2014 1:20:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I tried to kill myself probably a year ago. I must say it was due to depression and just feeling sorry for myself. So yes, I think it's a selfish act, and I think it reflects a selfish person, but sometimes this may not be entirely their fault.

Nvm, it was more like two years ago, lol.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 4:55:53 PM
I don't think anything justifies a cop-out from life...

Well, you're starting off here by using biased & biasing language to frame the issue, now aren't you?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 5:00:11 PM
Btw, "pitbull", such a screen name comes on a little strong with the machismo*, doesn't it? Perhaps you should think about dialing it down to something less aggressive like poodle15? Yes, poodle says "I have the security about my masculinity to use the name of a sissified canine breed as my sceen name". Calling oneself "pitbull", on the other hand, is like going about in a T-shirt that says "I'm twelve inches long", you know that it's just going to make everyone think "Yeah, sure, three inches is more like it". Well, just a bit of friendly advice.

* It's not at all surprising that a conservative would choose such a blatantly macho screen name, as the politics that nowadays go by the euphemism "conservative" of course are in large measure merely the political form taken by a crudely and/or overcompensatingly masculine mentality.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 5:02:46 PM
At 3/9/2014 5:00:11 PM, charleslb wrote:
Btw, "pitbull", such a screen name comes on a little strong with the machismo*, doesn't it? Perhaps you should think about dialing it down to something less aggressive like poodle15? Yes, poodle says "I have the security about my masculinity to use the name of a sissified canine breed as my sceen name". Calling oneself "pitbull", on the other hand, is like going about in a T-shirt that says "I'm twelve inches long", you know that it's just going to make everyone think "Yeah, sure, three inches is more like it". Well, just a bit of friendly advice.

* It's not at all surprising that a conservative would choose such a blatantly macho screen name, as the politics that nowadays go by the euphemism "conservative" of course are in large measure merely the political form taken by a crudely and/or overcompensatingly masculine mentality.

Actually, poodle was already take. I was just typing random stuff up to see what was available for me to use.

And why are you attacking my screen name all of a sudden? What relevance does that hold to anything?

Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 5:04:34 PM
At 3/9/2014 1:21:01 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/9/2014 1:20:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Nvm, it was more like two years ago, lol.

I'm sorry to hear that and glad to know you had the control not to kill yourself. The key is control over thoughts. It may not be completely their fault, but it's ultimately their choice.

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 5:06:45 PM
At 3/9/2014 5:02:46 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:
At 3/9/2014 5:00:11 PM, charleslb wrote:

Actually, poodle was already take. I was just typing random stuff up to see what was available for me to use.

And why are you attacking my screen name all of a sudden? What relevance does that hold to anything?

My apologies for being attacky.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 8:38:43 PM

What a pathetic diatribe.

'You want to kill yourself? You're being selfish! Haven't you thought about how that would affect ME?!'

The idea that you 'had your own problems to deal' with is laughable, simultaneously self-pitying and self-aggrandising. The life of a cold-hearted conservative Christian heterosexual teenage male in Seattle is so notoriously difficult...

"It's called life, deal with it" is a statement of such blanketing stupidity that I feel a Jew needs to come and rub some clay in your eyes. Is apathy something to applaud? I think in probably 95% of cases where someone is telling you 'Life's tough, deal with it', there is a boot being pressed down on the back of your head. You seem to think that 'dealing with a problem' is the process of ignoring its existence or its contingency on human action.

In further demonstration of your hypocrisy, "a prime example of a little ingrate who's got literally no idea about life in general" is how you are presenting yourself. 'Little', in that every word of yours oozes narrow-mindedness and herd-morality; and both an 'ingrate' and 'ignorant' in that you have no understanding or appreciation of how relatively pain-free your life has been.

To illustrate: have you ever found yourself forced into prostitution at the age of six, raped five times a day for years, with the only support coming from a friend who is, for the most part, either being raped herself or in a drunken, drugged stupor? Then you hit puberty, and when you ask yourself, as everyone surely does, 'What is my place in this world?', the only answer you can find is 'the f*ck-doll of endless strangers who call you 'babe'.

Was that 'cop-out' justified?