Your thoughts on Jury nullification.

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 3:44:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/8/2014 5:14:12 AM, tahir.imanov wrote:
What do you think about issue Jury nullification?

It's the bee's knees. Best way to be a juror in my opinion. Too bad it'll probably just result in a JNOV.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 12:03:52 PM
At 3/10/2014 3:44:03 AM, Korashk wrote:
At 3/8/2014 5:14:12 AM, tahir.imanov wrote:
What do you think about issue Jury nullification?

It's the bee's knees. Best way to be a juror in my opinion. Too bad it'll probably just result in a JNOV.

According to this, http://en.wikipedia.org..., JNOV only applies to civil cases, not criminal, and I have only heard of jury nullification in regards to criminals cases. The jury would nullify the law's effect, which cannot be overturned. However, in a civil case, what law is to nullify? If they don't believe there were damages, or the defendant is at fault, they aren't nullifying anything, they just find in favor of the defendant.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 11:50:25 PM
It's a dumb concept, and should be exploited by all nondumb people stuck in the dumb position of being forced to judge someone under a dumb law in a dumb legal system.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 12:10:18 AM
I have always thought that it's the entire point of having a trial by a jury of your peers as an option. It's a potent check against both an corrupt judiciary and an overreaching legislature. It basically allows the people to 'veto' unjust laws en masse, or unjust applications on a case by case basis. This is one of the few cases in which I'll actually take a populist stand, just because it acts as such a stabilizing feature.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -