Jump to topic:

Interracial marriage is ok!

france9488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 9:00:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
We live in an age where interracial marriage and relationships is not ok. I have literally heard all of the arguments but want more insight on why these relationships are wrong?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:05:04 PM
At 3/13/2014 9:00:05 PM, france9488 wrote:
We live in an age where interracial marriage and relationships is not ok. I have literally heard all of the arguments but want more insight on why these relationships are wrong?

Where is it frowned upon?
My work here is, finally, done.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:13:05 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:05:04 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

The same question comes to my mind. I suppose the OP might be accurate, but only in certain places. Certainly in the US (in most of the areas I frequent at least), the idea of interracial relationships and marriage haven't been controversial during my lifetime...

So I can't really begin to give any proper insight into why these relationship would be in any way wrong... and I naturally feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.
Debate.org Moderator
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:16:21 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:13:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

The same question comes to my mind. I suppose the OP might be accurate, but only in certain places. Certainly in the US (in most of the areas I frequent at least), the idea of interracial relationships and marriage haven't been controversial during my lifetime...

So I can't really begin to give any proper insight into why these relationship would be in any way wrong... and I naturally feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Two possibilities outside of troll:
1. Where ever he lives, perhaps France, it is illegal.
2. He uses the term "not ok", so maybe he is referring to a general distaste for them that some people have.

But, yeah, we need more info to be able to comment fruitfully.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:19:14 PM

The Fool: You got a love those "we live in the age" guys.
Or, we" live in a society" Guys.

For we also live in age and society, where the opposite, is also the case.
And almost every other way as well.

Very informative..

I love those.

The Fool: Air Max, my friend, you always happen hovering around, when I'm feeling mischievous.

Why is that?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:19:46 PM

More places than you might think, actually. A lot of times, as Americans when we think about interracial marriage, we get caught up in white-black binaries even though we know the picture is much more complicated. I think the great majority of the people I know, who are white and black, would have no issue with interracial marriage -but most of the Asian, Middle Eastern and Indian people I know whose parents are first generation immigrants to the United States would be categorically against the idea.

When I was in high school, one of my best friends was half Chinese and half white, and even though his white father's family had no problem with the relationship, his Chinese mother's family essentially disowned his mother. The Chinese side of the family called him, in Chinese, a derogatory phrase that basically translates to "half-breed" and his grandmother would refer to her "half-breed" grand children on the rare times that they communicated. I had an Indian friend who was in a similar situation, as well.
Tsar of DDO
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:21:52 PM

The Fool: Air Max, my friend, you always happen to hovering around, when I'm feeling mischievous.

Why is that?

For I feel like you are God's eye looking down from the glass ceiling.
<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:22:37 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:16:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Two possibilities outside of troll:

I suppose troll is a possibility, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

1. Where ever he lives, perhaps France, it is illegal.

France was my guess based on the name, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense being that to my understanding, France is fairly tolerant (at least it's not illegal) towards interracial relationships. I'd have to look at some data, but I don't think France is known for being against it.

2. He uses the term "not ok", so maybe he is referring to a general distaste for them that some people have.

This might be more likely as a commentary on the culture, rather than a legal thing. But it then makes me wonder why he'd use the term "we live in an age", when we (the West at least, from what I can tell without doing any research) is increasingly more tolerant and encouraging of it. We (as a society) certainly don't shun and discourage it like it was just perhaps 40-50 years ago.

But, yeah, we need more info to be able to comment fruitfully.

Agreed.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:24:07 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:21:52 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: Air Max, my friend, you always happen to hovering around, when I'm feeling mischievous.

It's not just coincidence ;)

Why is that?

Just doing my job, my friend.

For I feel like you are God's eye looking down from the glass ceiling.
<(89)

I try :)
Debate.org Moderator
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:32:10 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:19:46 PM, YYW wrote:

More places than you might think, actually. A lot of times, as Americans when we think about interracial marriage, we get caught up in white-black binaries even though we know the picture is much more complicated. I think the great majority of the people I know, who are white and black, would have no issue with interracial marriage -but most of the Asian, Middle Eastern and Indian people I know whose parents are first generation immigrants to the United States would be categorically against the idea.

When I was in high school, one of my best friends was half Chinese and half white, and even though his white father's family had no problem with the relationship, his Chinese mother's family essentially disowned his mother. The Chinese side of the family called him, in Chinese, a derogatory phrase that basically translates to "half-breed" and his grandmother would refer to her "half-breed" grand children on the rare times that they communicated. I had an Indian friend who was in a similar situation, as well.

I get that, and that may be what the OP meant.
Personally, mixing of races has always bothered me, on a stereotypical level. This is not to say that any two specific people of non-equal race should refrain from being together.
White men marrying asians have always bothered me. In my limited experience, they always seemed controlling, and the women, doting. The men always have this look in their eyes. Never set well with me.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:33:08 PM

I agree with this, though without the OP being more specific, it's still difficult to opine on exactly what he's asking. I suppose the simplest answer is (without the OP being more specific) that some cultures want to maintain that culture as you allude to following this.

There are certainly many places and cultures where it's apparently still an issue. I do believe that there is far less of a stigma today than there was just a generation ago. This may be mostly a western thing though (and I'm not sure even that's true), and it's certainly still prevalent in the West in some places and among different cultures. Inter-religious marriages, for example, are naturally still an issue for some, and to an extent I think that's understandable (on a personal basis) because it can make some things more complicated.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:34:18 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:32:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Personally, mixing of races has always bothered me, on a stereotypical level. This is not to say that any two specific people of non-equal race should refrain from being together.
White men marrying asians have always bothered me. In my limited experience, they always seemed controlling, and the women, doting. The men always have this look in their eyes. Never set well with me.

I think back in the 1970s and 1980s, that may have been more the case, because there were (and still are), older white guys who almost fetishize Asian girls... but I think that's less the case with millennials.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:36:35 PM

Gota say that whole post doesn't sit well with me.... I think the mixing of races potentially leads to an ideal lack of social separation, so among other reasons, I think it's just great. I don't even know what "non-equal race" means...

I think you just stereotyped all white men who are with Asian women... I'm sure some do have some weird look in their eyes, but surely some just fell in love with an Asian man/woman.
Debate.org Moderator
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:37:42 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:34:18 PM, YYW wrote:

I think back in the 1970s and 1980s, that may have been more the case, because there were (and still are), older white guys who almost fetishize Asian girls... but I think that's less the case with millennials.

These guys are always older, but I don't think it is fetish. I think it is the same type of man who wants a Russian bride: to control, one who won't talk back (even though they be crazy), a servant basically. One who knows there place, if you will.
I can't really describe it, and, it's not like I know these people personally. I just delivered pizza. But, these men always had a smugness about them that was unnerving.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:38:40 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:37:42 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/13/2014 11:34:18 PM, YYW wrote:

These guys are always older, but I don't think it is fetish. I think it is the same type of man who wants a Russian bride: to control, one who won't talk back (even though they be crazy), a servant basically. One who knows there place, if you will.
I can't really describe it, and, it's not like I know these people personally. I just delivered pizza. But, these men always had a smugness about them that was unnerving.

hmm well maybe that is the case in a lot of instances. I'd rather think that's the exception though and not the rule.
Debate.org Moderator
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:39:55 PM

Yeah, one of my friends dated a white guy and her middle eastern father yelled at him in public telling him that he wasn't their "kind" and to stay away from her.

This is true. I wonder how much, if any, residual racism there is from your long term generic Americans. My parents are not racist at all (as far as I know) but I wonder how they would react if I married a nonwhite.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:40:23 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:36:35 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Gota say that whole post doesn't sit well with me.... I think the mixing of races potentially leads to an ideal lack of social separation, so among other reasons, I think it's just great. I don't even know what "non-equal race" means...
Dissimilar would have been the word ;)

I think you just stereotyped all white men who are with Asian women... I'm sure some do have some weird look in their eyes, but surely some just fell in love with an Asian man/woman.
I'm sure there are.
That is why I said stereotype.
Hell, I've had crushes on women of other races. My point was, there seems to be some that prey on the culture, and I don't like that.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:42:02 PM
Just thought you guys should know the shockingly low record high for interracial marriage approval- 87%

http://www.gallup.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:42:24 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:40:23 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/13/2014 11:36:35 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Dissimilar would have been the word ;)

ah, alrighty then

I'm sure there are.
That is why I said stereotype.
Hell, I've had crushes on women of other races. My point was, there seems to be some that prey on the culture, and I don't like that.

Oh ok, I see what you mean now. I agree that this does occur, and in many cases I'm sure it does have a negative element to it.
Debate.org Moderator
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:43:10 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:38:40 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

hmm well maybe that is the case in a lot of instances. I'd rather think that's the exception though and not the rule.

Remember, I only see a glimpse of these people.
I could be way off base, and even if I am right, they could very well be the exception.
White men are domineering, asian women are subservient. Those are the stereotypes.

I do hope they are the exception to be honest.
Sample bias, I suppose.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:43:31 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:33:08 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I agree with this, though without the OP being more specific, it's still difficult to opine on exactly what he's asking. I suppose the simplest answer is (without the OP being more specific) that some cultures want to maintain that culture as you allude to following this.

Preserving culture is one thing, outwardly opposing interracial relationships is something else. A french friend of mine explained it something like this:

'Culture is the very essence of who we are, but to have more than one essence does not demean the one from which you come. And my culture, which I love, will always remain a part of who I am no matter who I marry.'

Not an exact quote, but you get the idea.

There are certainly many places and cultures where it's apparently still an issue. I do believe that there is far less of a stigma today than there was just a generation ago. This may be mostly a western thing though (and I'm not sure even that's true), and it's certainly still prevalent in the West in some places and among different cultures.

The South.

Inter-religious marriages, for example, are naturally still an issue for some, and to an extent I think that's understandable (on a personal basis) because it can make some things more complicated.

Inter-religous marriages are, I grant you, hard.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:44:15 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:42:02 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Just thought you guys should know the shockingly low record high for interracial marriage approval- 87%

This is what I expected from the US, and what my confusion was with the OP. He can't be referring to the US (and I think the west in general). It has to be a more global feeling about interracial relationships as it's almost entirely accepted (and even celebrated) by newer generations.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:47:37 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:43:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/13/2014 11:33:08 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Preserving culture is one thing, outwardly opposing interracial relationships is something else. A french friend of mine explained it something like this:

'Culture is the very essence of who we are, but to have more than one essence does not demean the one from which you come. And my culture, which I love, will always remain a part of who I am no matter who I marry.'

Not an exact quote, but you get the idea.

I couldn't agree more, and I think (even in paraphrasing) your friend puts it well.

There are certainly many places and cultures where it's apparently still an issue. I do believe that there is far less of a stigma today than there was just a generation ago. This may be mostly a western thing though (and I'm not sure even that's true), and it's certainly still prevalent in the West in some places and among different cultures.

The South.

Indeed. Though I'm hoping that even there that is diminishing. The recent data posted shows that even the South would have to be included among changing perspectives on it. Though naturally, the south is going to be the place in the US most against it.

Inter-religious marriages, for example, are naturally still an issue for some, and to an extent I think that's understandable (on a personal basis) because it can make some things more complicated.

Inter-religous marriages are, I grant you, hard.

It's certainly a different dynamic and really is an entirely different conversation.
Debate.org Moderator
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:47:50 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:44:15 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

This is what I expected from the US, and what my confusion was with the OP. He can't be referring to the US (and I think the west in general). It has to be a more global feeling about interracial relationships as it's almost entirely accepted (and even celebrated) by newer generations.

I think over 1/10 is still more than enough space to meet plenty of people against these marriages. Statistically speaking, there are 18099.51 little jimtimmy's that have created accounts on this website.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:49:29 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:39:55 PM, thett3 wrote:

Yeah, one of my friends dated a white guy and her middle eastern father yelled at him in public telling him that he wasn't their "kind" and to stay away from her.

This is true. I wonder how much, if any, residual racism there is from your long term generic Americans. My parents are not racist at all (as far as I know) but I wonder how they would react if I married a nonwhite.

You could make the argument that different races have different cultures and experiences, thus the two people are not compatable, since you are too different.
As a white guy, do you have any idea what it is like to be black? Could you really relate to your black wife?
Plus, there is religious issues, too.

People usually marry within their own kind, be it upper class marrying another blue blood (economic), or doctors marrying lawyer (smart/intelligent). Marrying another race, especially immigrants, is marrying another culture, which, in my opinion, unwise.

If they were both "americanized", then it shouldn't be an issue.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:52:17 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:47:50 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

I think over 1/10 is still more than enough space to meet plenty of people against these marriages. Statistically speaking, there are 18099.51 little jimtimmy's that have created accounts on this website.

I agree, but look at the trends. 48% in 1995, to 87% in 2013. We are clearly headed in the right direction. I don't expect everyone to accept it, but almost 90% reflects pretty well on the culture and there's no reason to expect that wont be even higher when the older generations aren't in the statistical pool.
Debate.org Moderator
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:54:09 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:52:17 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 3/13/2014 11:47:50 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

I agree, but look at the trends. 48% in 1995, to 87% in 2013. We are clearly headed in the right direction. I don't expect everyone to accept it, but almost 90% reflects pretty well on the culture and there's no reason to expect that wont be even higher when the older generations aren't in the statistical pool.

Definitely, I'm not saying this is permanent, or we're headed in the wrong direction, just we're not as high as some would expect in modern day America.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:54:18 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:49:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

You could make the argument that different races have different cultures and experiences, thus the two people are not compatable, since you are too different.
As a white guy, do you have any idea what it is like to be black? Could you really relate to your black wife?

It's definitely a barrier but not one that couldnt be overcome if you loved each other.

People usually marry within their own kind, be it upper class marrying another blue blood (economic), or doctors marrying lawyer (smart/intelligent). Marrying another race, especially immigrants, is marrying another culture, which, in my opinion, unwise.

Well it is certainly more risky. Call me idealistic but I think love can break down those kinds of barriers or render them irrelevant

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:55:49 PM

I think this is the most valid point about it and it's why I concede the issues some have with inter-religious relationships (at least for themselves). But ultimately, I do tend to believe that those expressing a problem with interracial relationships aren't doing so because they think the couple wont be able to relate to each other.
Debate.org Moderator
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 11:56:51 PM
At 3/13/2014 11:54:18 PM, thett3 wrote:

It's definitely a barrier but not one that couldnt be overcome if you loved each other.
Actually, that was a bad example. A better one would be a refugee from Somalia.
But, love very well may be strong enough.

Well it is certainly more risky. Call me idealistic but I think love can break down those kinds of barriers or render them irrelevant

It very well may be strong enough, but that doesn't mean the family is going to agree.