Jump to topic:

Thoughts on this Toni Morrison quote...

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 12:02:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was watching an interview with Toni Morrison when I came across this quote regarding male/female relationships, and I find it to be an interesting new take on an old subject:

"We've got this focus of the 'male figure'. You know, we hear a lot about the roles that men give women and how overbearing they are. But look at the roles that men assume or we give them (we meaning women). They have to be everything: the father, the lover, the husband, the friend, the benefactor, the predator, stranger, all these things. And we impose these, or transfer these, and therefore say, with some legitimacy: that is the source of all my problems."
- Toni Morrison -

Thoughts?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 12:27:33 PM
I was gonna write something substantive in apology for being a smartarse, but it's all rather obvious really, right? Women see men as their primary mode of navigating the world, get caught up in trying to manipulate men in one way (love), giving men the jump on them as regards everything else (men being the lovers, who must be appealed to).
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 1:25:08 PM
At 3/15/2014 12:02:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I was watching an interview with Toni Morrison when I came across this quote regarding male/female relationships, and I find it to be an interesting new take on an old subject:

"We've got this focus of the 'male figure'. You know, we hear a lot about the roles that men give women and how overbearing they are. But look at the roles that men assume or we give them (we meaning women). They have to be everything: the father, the lover, the husband, the friend, the benefactor, the predator, stranger, all these things. And we impose these, or transfer these, and therefore say, with some legitimacy: that is the source of all my problems."
- Toni Morrison -

Thoughts?

Look at the paradoxical roles we are to have....
No wonder they want to change us.
My work here is, finally, done.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 10:13:44 PM
At 3/15/2014 1:25:08 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

- Toni Morrison -

Thoughts?

Look at the paradoxical roles we are to have....
No wonder they want to change us.

That's the idea that I get. Everyone focuses on the unfair, unrealistic roles that women are forced into by men, it's nice to see someone looking at the other side of the story. The implication that, by projecting and surrendering these roles women sabotage their relationships and indirectly bring about suffering is great coming from such a literary giant, as it's something that often goes unaddressed.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 10:53:50 PM

- Toni Morrison -

Thoughts?

Clever quote. I like how it shows both sides of the sexist coin--sexism against women is also sexism against men, and patriarchy is bad for everyone. At least I think that's what the quote is saying.