Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

volunteering nationally vs. internationally

LexBastis
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:45:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
When choosing to volunteer or donate our time or money, should we focus our effort locally or even nationally in the spirit or helping our own, or should we be more inclined to help out on an international level in more impoverished places?
emilylynn25
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:52:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
although there are nations that rely on US aide, that is not a good position for those nations or the US. although poverty is an issue, more developed nations have serious issues as well. issues that are different but not inferior. strive to create a utopia in the place that you are a citizen and where your children will be citizens. the rest of the world will catch up to you.
LexBastis
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:57:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 5:52:43 PM, emilylynn25 wrote:
although there are nations that rely on US aide, that is not a good position for those nations or the US. although poverty is an issue, more developed nations have serious issues as well. issues that are different but not inferior. strive to create a utopia in the place that you are a citizen and where your children will be citizens. the rest of the world will catch up to you.

good point, but isn't it our duty to society to ensure that said developing countries are not needlessly dying of simple diseases and hunger and lack of basic necessities? we are all citizens of the earth right? what if nationality is just an idea created by people.
if we have the means to help, shouldn't we?
emilylynn25
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 6:07:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 5:57:50 PM, LexBastis wrote:
At 3/17/2014 5:52:43 PM, emilylynn25 wrote:
although there are nations that rely on US aide, that is not a good position for those nations or the US. although poverty is an issue, more developed nations have serious issues as well. issues that are different but not inferior. strive to create a utopia in the place that you are a citizen and where your children will be citizens. the rest of the world will catch up to you.

good point, but isn't it our duty to society to ensure that said developing countries are not needlessly dying of simple diseases and hunger and lack of basic necessities? we are all citizens of the earth right? what if nationality is just an idea created by people.
if we have the means to help, shouldn't we?

no, we should work on border control, the economy, education, health care, gun control, societal intolerance of peoples basic civil rights, and all of the other fucked up things happening in this country and then, in our *spare* time, we can absolutely send water and mosquito nets to the kids in Africa. its just that we won't have any spare time.
LexBastis
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 6:13:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 6:07:02 PM, emilylynn25 wrote:
At 3/17/2014 5:57:50 PM, LexBastis wrote:
At 3/17/2014 5:52:43 PM, emilylynn25 wrote:
although there are nations that rely on US aide, that is not a good position for those nations or the US. although poverty is an issue, more developed nations have serious issues as well. issues that are different but not inferior. strive to create a utopia in the place that you are a citizen and where your children will be citizens. the rest of the world will catch up to you.

good point, but isn't it our duty to society to ensure that said developing countries are not needlessly dying of simple diseases and hunger and lack of basic necessities? we are all citizens of the earth right? what if nationality is just an idea created by people.
if we have the means to help, shouldn't we?

no, we should work on border control, the economy, education, health care, gun control, societal intolerance of peoples basic civil rights, and all of the other fucked up things happening in this country and then, in our *spare* time, we can absolutely send water and mosquito nets to the kids in Africa. its just that we won't have any spare time.

we do have a lot of things to work on, but they are so advanced that even if we had all thhe answers in terms of fixing them, these people in developing countries would still be starving and dying and we would be in our "utopia." is that any way to live? there are a lot of people in this country, what if we all learned to apply our strengths perfectly and we did have spare time to pursue helping our neighbors?