Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Concept of Virginity Should Be Dropped

queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is something I have dwelled on for years. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it, especially since I can only describe it from a girl's standpoint. Guys, how has this word affected you? Girls, well, what do you think?

Virginity. What a tiny, insufficient word that has such resounding power in our society. A word that in some cases dwells in the back of one's mind, an everpresent bug. A word that in other cases can be pure torture.

It certainly tortured me. I mean, what even is virginity? Is it something you lose when your hymen breaks? Or when you first come into contact with a male's genitals? Can you lose it from oral sex? Are you still a virgin after you are raped since rape is not sex? So much anguish caused from just an imaginary concept. Something I feel should be dropped.

I lost my virginity when I was 14. Or did I lose it when I was raped at 11? Or when I had oral sex at 13? Those questions I have asked myself over and over again, eventually I just gave up. The word virginity has eaten me alive, and it has taken me through periods of confusion, feelings of worthlessness, self hate, and self destruction.

It took me a while to realize that, in reality, you just can't win. If you are a virgin, that makes you a target for being taunted and bullied. If you aren't, suddenly you have lost all your value.

So why? Why do we do this to ourselves? We have given this word so much power when in reality it is completely powerless. I like to use currency as an analogy in regards to it. The paper dollar is valuable merely because we made it so. In reality it is just printed paper, nothing special. Virginity, I believe, is the same thing. Whether or not you are a "virgin", whatever the heck a virgin is, I believe it should not define you. My point? Every woman is infinitely more than whether or not she has a flap of skin covering her womanly parts.

With that said, I think our society would be better off without it. I could go on and on with facts and statistics, but I think I will leave it at this: This word is a means of control. Control over how you think about yourself and about others. Control over how you judge people and control over the thoughts that reach your head when you think of someone. So why let it?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:02:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

/thread
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:19:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
This is something I have dwelled on for years. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it, especially since I can only describe it from a girl's standpoint. Guys, how has this word affected you? Girls, well, what do you think?

Virginity. What a tiny, insufficient word that has such resounding power in our society. A word that in some cases dwells in the back of one's mind, an everpresent bug. A word that in other cases can be pure torture.

It certainly tortured me. I mean, what even is virginity? Is it something you lose when your hymen breaks? Or when you first come into contact with a male's genitals? Can you lose it from oral sex? Are you still a virgin after you are raped since rape is not sex? So much anguish caused from just an imaginary concept. Something I feel should be dropped.

I lost my virginity when I was 14. Or did I lose it when I was raped at 11? Or when I had oral sex at 13? Those questions I have asked myself over and over again, eventually I just gave up. The word virginity has eaten me alive, and it has taken me through periods of confusion, feelings of worthlessness, self hate, and self destruction.

It took me a while to realize that, in reality, you just can't win. If you are a virgin, that makes you a target for being taunted and bullied. If you aren't, suddenly you have lost all your value.

So why? Why do we do this to ourselves? We have given this word so much power when in reality it is completely powerless. I like to use currency as an analogy in regards to it. The paper dollar is valuable merely because we made it so. In reality it is just printed paper, nothing special. Virginity, I believe, is the same thing. Whether or not you are a "virgin", whatever the heck a virgin is, I believe it should not define you. My point? Every woman is infinitely more than whether or not she has a flap of skin covering her womanly parts.

With that said, I think our society would be better off without it. I could go on and on with facts and statistics, but I think I will leave it at this: This word is a means of control. Control over how you think about yourself and about others. Control over how you judge people and control over the thoughts that reach your head when you think of someone. So why let it?

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, and I think the main reason why such things happen, would be because the western mind is a slave of meaningless terms and terminologies. To call someone a "racist" or a "homophobe" is unfortunately a better way to disrepute them than to offer a critical analysis of their position and refute their arguments. Moreover, if you notice in the Media, meaningless statements are said like "Support your troops and don't let them down" which doesn't make any sense, as your verbal support means nothing or little to the troops themselves, but is a good method through which the politicians can gain public support for ridiculous wars like the War on Iraq.

So yes, if you create a term like "virgin", although it lacks any substantial meaning, the power of classification it has, keeps it alive an trendy in the western mind. I'm a male and the way I understand it, I lose my virginity without any physical changes, but simply by a first-hand experience of sex, which doesn't make sense, as nothing concrete changes in me, I just add one experience to my list, but since such a term is itself "discriminatory" and insulting to the manhood and womanhood of many, such term is prone to become popular, damage or pressure people and become a trendy and popular classification.
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:23:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 9:02:03 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

/thread

Nobody has appointed you here to end threads. For one, I don't think you have the intellectual capacity to understand what is being said in the first place, but you simply support literal-minded assessments that gloss over the major point being conveyed by trying to demolish any faulty analogies or falsehoods, as if that is sufficient in rendering the whole passage false and not worthy of any further comments.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:43:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
This is something I have dwelled on for years. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it, especially since I can only describe it from a girl's standpoint. Guys, how has this word affected you? Girls, well, what do you think?

Virginity. What a tiny, insufficient word that has such resounding power in our society. A word that in some cases dwells in the back of one's mind, an everpresent bug. A word that in other cases can be pure torture.
Only if you let it.
It really depends on how big of a deal you make it.
Some guys want a virgin, others don't.

It certainly tortured me. I mean, what even is virginity? Is it something you lose when your hymen breaks? Or when you first come into contact with a male's genitals? Can you lose it from oral sex? Are you still a virgin after you are raped since rape is not sex? So much anguish caused from just an imaginary concept. Something I feel should be dropped.
I suppose it depends on the purpose.
Generally, a virgin is considered a virgin before she has sex. Thus, rape strips that away, especially in the religious view.
However, I would consider any sexual act no longer a virgin by definition, and any consensual act for most intents and purposes.

I lost my virginity when I was 14. Or did I lose it when I was raped at 11? Or when I had oral sex at 13? Those questions I have asked myself over and over again, eventually I just gave up. The word virginity has eaten me alive, and it has taken me through periods of confusion, feelings of worthlessness, self hate, and self destruction.
Sorry to hear that, but was it really the word that has eaten you up?
Really? Not the abuse, but the word?

It took me a while to realize that, in reality, you just can't win. If you are a virgin, that makes you a target for being taunted and bullied. If you aren't, suddenly you have lost all your value.
You are aware this is paradoxical, right?
I find it hard to believe those that ridicule you for being a virgin would be the same to ridicule you for not.
And, you are aware there is a middle ground, right? Not being a virgin =/= giving it away on a nightly basis to anyone who asks.

So why? Why do we do this to ourselves? We have given this word so much power when in reality it is completely powerless. I like to use currency as an analogy in regards to it. The paper dollar is valuable merely because we made it so. In reality it is just printed paper, nothing special. Virginity, I believe, is the same thing. Whether or not you are a "virgin", whatever the heck a virgin is, I believe it should not define you. My point? Every woman is infinitely more than whether or not she has a flap of skin covering her womanly parts.


With that said, I think our society would be better off without it. I could go on and on with facts and statistics, but I think I will leave it at this: This word is a means of control. Control over how you think about yourself and about others. Control over how you judge people and control over the thoughts that reach your head when you think of someone. So why let it?

It's not the word that has power, it is the meaning of it.
As I said, taking a woman's virginity is powerful, period.
Or, it was when I was a teen.
It is the first time a woman is truly intimate with a guy, in the most intimate of acts. It changes things. Sex changes relationships. The woman gives herself to her man.

Just like with any virginity (using the term loosely in society, like a gaming virgin), the first time is powerfully influential and changes you; it sets the standard. If it is taken from you, that creates destruction. If you given, it creates trust. If it is given away foolishly, it creates doubt and distrust.
My work here is, finally, done.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:43:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 9:23:22 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:02:03 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

/thread

Nobody has appointed you here to end threads. For one, I don't think you have the intellectual capacity to understand what is being said in the first place,

I'm glad you are in the position to adequately assess my intellectual capacity, o stranger of the Internet,

but you simply support literal-minded assessments

You're calling me out on being literal-minded? You used a literal-minded assessment of what I said as a grounds on which you could attack me.

that gloss over the major point being conveyed by trying to demolish any faulty analogies or falsehoods, as if that is sufficient in rendering the whole passage false and not worthy of any further comments.

Here's where you're also wrong. I just thought the response correctly refuted the OP and that it was grounded in fact. It was just an easy way to say it, but of course, there has to be that person that doesn't actually get the intent behind the word. If I thought this thread was irrelevant after that comment I would've said so. Instead I expressed support of a comment through a hyperbolic statement that in reality showed how much I actually agreed with what was said.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:45:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 10:39:49 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
"...since rape is not sex."

lol, wut?

I think in the context, she means it isn't consensual sex, therefore she ask if it should count as sex for virginity?
My work here is, finally, done.
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:56:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 9:43:49 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:23:22 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:02:03 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

/thread

Nobody has appointed you here to end threads. For one, I don't think you have the intellectual capacity to understand what is being said in the first place,

I'm glad you are in the position to adequately assess my intellectual capacity, o stranger of the Internet,

I've been reading many of your responses, as of lately, and I can adequately say that you're what a normal society would categorize as "slow."

but you simply support literal-minded assessments

You're calling me out on being literal-minded? You used a literal-minded assessment of what I said as a grounds on which you could attack me.

I'm actually being emotionally intelligent and realizing the emotional impact your "/thread" bravado has on many OPs and readers who are willing to discuss this further. If you call that literal-minded, then your argument is not worth listening to.


that gloss over the major point being conveyed by trying to demolish any faulty analogies or falsehoods, as if that is sufficient in rendering the whole passage false and not worthy of any further comments.

Here's where you're also wrong. I just thought the response correctly refuted the OP and that it was grounded in fact. It was just an easy way to say it, but of course, there has to be that person that doesn't actually get the intent behind the word. If I thought this thread was irrelevant after that comment I would've said so. Instead I expressed support of a comment through a hyperbolic statement that in reality showed how much I actually agreed with what was said.

Your "hyperbolic statement" implies that the thread has been completely killed by that response, although the passage itself requires more discussion. I understand that you might do that to impress others, or even win their friendship, but it always comes out hostile to the OP of this thread, as you're implicitly saying that his/her thread has been put back in the file-drawer, when in this particular case, it is open to hundreds of discussions.

I understand your career of "floor-kissing" and "sucking-up" to online strangers with higher Elo, but you can say "I agree with you. Love me back, my BFF" without implying that this thread no longer deserves any more discussion.

Thank you,
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 10:18:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 9:56:41 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:43:49 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:23:22 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:02:03 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

/thread

Nobody has appointed you here to end threads. For one, I don't think you have the intellectual capacity to understand what is being said in the first place,

I'm glad you are in the position to adequately assess my intellectual capacity, o stranger of the Internet,

I've been reading many of your responses, as of lately, and I can adequately say that you're what a normal society would categorize as "slow."

On what grounds?

but you simply support literal-minded assessments

You're calling me out on being literal-minded? You used a literal-minded assessment of what I said as a grounds on which you could attack me.

I'm actually being emotionally intelligent and realizing the emotional impact your "/thread" bravado has on many OPs and readers who are willing to discuss this further.

Good for you.

If you call that literal-minded, then your argument is not worth listening to.

Well, it wasn't much of an argument. More of an assertion because I was too lazy to explain why I made the assertion.

that gloss over the major point being conveyed by trying to demolish any faulty analogies or falsehoods, as if that is sufficient in rendering the whole passage false and not worthy of any further comments.

Here's where you're also wrong. I just thought the response correctly refuted the OP and that it was grounded in fact. It was just an easy way to say it, but of course, there has to be that person that doesn't actually get the intent behind the word. If I thought this thread was irrelevant after that comment I would've said so. Instead I expressed support of a comment through a hyperbolic statement that in reality showed how much I actually agreed with what was said.

Your "hyperbolic statement" implies that the thread has been completely killed by that response, although the passage itself requires more discussion. I understand that you might do that to impress others, or even win their friendship, but it always comes out hostile to the OP of this thread, as you're implicitly saying that his/her thread has been put back in the file-drawer, when in this particular case, it is open to hundreds of discussions.

Oh, I thought that you'd read enough of my stuff to know that I actually don't care whether it's taken offensively or not. Now, I generally don't see "/thread" as something used to end discussion. I usually see it as what I meant to be. Now in all honesty, I don't think the OP is worth discussing very much. Of course, that's just a personal view, and I suppose we can't have that.

I understand your career of "floor-kissing" and "sucking-up" to online strangers with higher Elo, but you can say "I agree with you. Love me back, my BFF" without implying that this thread no longer deserves any more discussion.

Well I could have explicitly said it, but there wouldn't have been much of a difference except for character count and a lack of freedom for interpretation.

Thank you,

You're welcome.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
TheOncomingStorm
Posts: 249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:05:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 10:18:29 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:56:41 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:43:49 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:23:22 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:02:03 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

/thread

Nobody has appointed you here to end threads. For one, I don't think you have the intellectual capacity to understand what is being said in the first place,

I'm glad you are in the position to adequately assess my intellectual capacity, o stranger of the Internet,

I've been reading many of your responses, as of lately, and I can adequately say that you're what a normal society would categorize as "slow."

On what grounds?

but you simply support literal-minded assessments

You're calling me out on being literal-minded? You used a literal-minded assessment of what I said as a grounds on which you could attack me.

I'm actually being emotionally intelligent and realizing the emotional impact your "/thread" bravado has on many OPs and readers who are willing to discuss this further.

Good for you.

If you call that literal-minded, then your argument is not worth listening to.

Well, it wasn't much of an argument. More of an assertion because I was too lazy to explain why I made the assertion.

that gloss over the major point being conveyed by trying to demolish any faulty analogies or falsehoods, as if that is sufficient in rendering the whole passage false and not worthy of any further comments.

Here's where you're also wrong. I just thought the response correctly refuted the OP and that it was grounded in fact. It was just an easy way to say it, but of course, there has to be that person that doesn't actually get the intent behind the word. If I thought this thread was irrelevant after that comment I would've said so. Instead I expressed support of a comment through a hyperbolic statement that in reality showed how much I actually agreed with what was said.

Your "hyperbolic statement" implies that the thread has been completely killed by that response, although the passage itself requires more discussion. I understand that you might do that to impress others, or even win their friendship, but it always comes out hostile to the OP of this thread, as you're implicitly saying that his/her thread has been put back in the file-drawer, when in this particular case, it is open to hundreds of discussions.

Oh, I thought that you'd read enough of my stuff to know that I actually don't care whether it's taken offensively or not. Now, I generally don't see "/thread" as something used to end discussion. I usually see it as what I meant to be. Now in all honesty, I don't think the OP is worth discussing very much. Of course, that's just a personal view, and I suppose we can't have that.

I understand your career of "floor-kissing" and "sucking-up" to online strangers with higher Elo, but you can say "I agree with you. Love me back, my BFF" without implying that this thread no longer deserves any more discussion.

Well I could have explicitly said it, but there wouldn't have been much of a difference except for character count and a lack of freedom for interpretation.

Thank you,

You're welcome.

Jonelle, it's really not worth flaming over.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:06:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 11:05:12 AM, TheOncomingStorm wrote:
At 3/19/2014 10:18:29 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:56:41 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:43:49 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:23:22 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:02:03 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

/thread

Nobody has appointed you here to end threads. For one, I don't think you have the intellectual capacity to understand what is being said in the first place,

I'm glad you are in the position to adequately assess my intellectual capacity, o stranger of the Internet,

I've been reading many of your responses, as of lately, and I can adequately say that you're what a normal society would categorize as "slow."

On what grounds?

but you simply support literal-minded assessments

You're calling me out on being literal-minded? You used a literal-minded assessment of what I said as a grounds on which you could attack me.

I'm actually being emotionally intelligent and realizing the emotional impact your "/thread" bravado has on many OPs and readers who are willing to discuss this further.

Good for you.

If you call that literal-minded, then your argument is not worth listening to.

Well, it wasn't much of an argument. More of an assertion because I was too lazy to explain why I made the assertion.

that gloss over the major point being conveyed by trying to demolish any faulty analogies or falsehoods, as if that is sufficient in rendering the whole passage false and not worthy of any further comments.

Here's where you're also wrong. I just thought the response correctly refuted the OP and that it was grounded in fact. It was just an easy way to say it, but of course, there has to be that person that doesn't actually get the intent behind the word. If I thought this thread was irrelevant after that comment I would've said so. Instead I expressed support of a comment through a hyperbolic statement that in reality showed how much I actually agreed with what was said.

Your "hyperbolic statement" implies that the thread has been completely killed by that response, although the passage itself requires more discussion. I understand that you might do that to impress others, or even win their friendship, but it always comes out hostile to the OP of this thread, as you're implicitly saying that his/her thread has been put back in the file-drawer, when in this particular case, it is open to hundreds of discussions.

Oh, I thought that you'd read enough of my stuff to know that I actually don't care whether it's taken offensively or not. Now, I generally don't see "/thread" as something used to end discussion. I usually see it as what I meant to be. Now in all honesty, I don't think the OP is worth discussing very much. Of course, that's just a personal view, and I suppose we can't have that.

I understand your career of "floor-kissing" and "sucking-up" to online strangers with higher Elo, but you can say "I agree with you. Love me back, my BFF" without implying that this thread no longer deserves any more discussion.

Well I could have explicitly said it, but there wouldn't have been much of a difference except for character count and a lack of freedom for interpretation.

Thank you,

You're welcome.

Jonelle, it's really not worth flaming over.

Sorry, it's just kind of instinct now :P
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 5:40:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 2:48:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:


/thread
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 5:50:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am reopening this thread, because I have some opinions. Unfortunately I am somewhat intoxicated at the moment and it's harder to type. Who does Kleptin think he is? An Asian Arsene Lupin, what a ridiculous person
Mediterranean
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 5:26:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am sorry to hear you've been raped...

For me virginity is to have had no sexual intercourses in the past, it's the definition even for the guys right? It can not really be defined by the hymen it got more to it than being just a physical defintion in my opinion.

What I find wrong is that the subject escapes from being personal to being the matter of another person, in certain cultures it is very important because of not accepting sex before marriage but in today's western cultures I don't see the problem!

If you are content with yourself convinced that it has no value then why would you suffer or give it importance even if the people around you do? I think this is wrong.
There is a whole different world right before our eyes, yet we fail to see it.
Questionner
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 6:13:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/21/2014 5:26:14 AM, Mediterranean wrote:

If you are content with yourself convinced that it has no value then why would you suffer or give it importance even if the people around you do? I think this is wrong.

Because human beings are social creatures. We naturally care about what other people think, especially when that other person is a significant other. That person is a person you want to be attractive to and so I think it makes total sense that knowing that that person sees a damaged good when they see you hurts. Whether she personally sees herself as a damaged good doesn't matter when she's caring about being attractive to the guy she likes.

It seems to me that the original poster is advocating for a total devaluation of virginity by society so that she doesn't have to put so much effort into searching for the guys who don't let her value or attractiveness depend so much on the number of guys she's slept with before, because then, that mentality would just be common sense. It looks like a legitimate concern and request to me.
Mediterranean
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 4:07:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/22/2014 6:13:03 PM, Questionner wrote:
At 3/21/2014 5:26:14 AM, Mediterranean wrote:

If you are content with yourself convinced that it has no value then why would you suffer or give it importance even if the people around you do? I think this is wrong.

Because human beings are social creatures. We naturally care about what other people think, especially when that other person is a significant other. That person is a person you want to be attractive to and so I think it makes total sense that knowing that that person sees a damaged good when they see you hurts. Whether she personally sees herself as a damaged good doesn't matter when she's caring about being attractive to the guy she likes.

It seems to me that the original poster is advocating for a total devaluation of virginity by society so that she doesn't have to put so much effort into searching for the guys who don't let her value or attractiveness depend so much on the number of guys she's slept with before, because then, that mentality would just be common sense. It looks like a legitimate concern and request to me.

Now it depends in which society she is, if those guys who are concerned about her past sexuality have had sexual intercourses too then they are twisted for questioning her, if someone believes in the concept no sex without marriage then he should know what kind of society he is living in!
There is a whole different world right before our eyes, yet we fail to see it.
slo1
Posts: 4,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 9:29:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
This word is a means of control. Control over how you think about yourself and about others. Control over how you judge people and control over the thoughts that reach your head when you think of someone. So why let it?

You are 100% right. The sole purpose the word is to create a binary category which can be judged. It serves no purpose other than that.

I'm glad you got to that conclusion.
slo1
Posts: 4,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 9:48:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 10:49:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You like to use currency as an example, and claim that it is actually worthless. This is false, currency is not worthless. While it has no OBJECTIVE value, that is not the same as saying it has no value at all. It has the value that we, as a society give it (meaning the sum of all all parties in society). This is its SUBJECTIVE value, which is a value. But EVERYTHING, not just currency has subjective value. Nothing has objective value, not money, not gold, not raw materials, not even your life. It has no value other than the value that we give it as a collective group.

The same is said of virginity and sex. The sex you give only has the value that you and others you do business with (not implying prostitution, only keeping with the economy comparison) give it. The basic laws of supply and demand say that the more you supply it, the lower its value. "Virginity" is a sign of no supply out there, which naturally has a higher value (we can actually see this in standard prostitution that people pay more for someone's virginity than their average street walker).

From an emotional and loving stand point, your body (meaning physical love) can be viewed as something that you are able to give to your significant other in various steps of your relationship. You can choose to give it sooner or later, just as with any gift. However, if you've given it out to half your school, it holds less value to your significant other. It has become a gift that you cannot restore the value of. And that is perfectly fine, if you don't hold personal value in it, there is no real effect of lowering its perceived value to others.

But that is for everyone to decide, and until you are sure that you don't care about the value of it, I'd recommend not de-valuing it, since it is a value that you cannot get back if you change your mind (at least not easily).

It is just rather ironic that the supply of law and demand is in play when one is not married, but suddenly it is thrown out of the window once one makes a marriage commitment or significant monogamous commitment.

By your theory of supply and demand when one is married, you should have sex as infrequent as possible to keep up the value.

Let's be honest. Each individual puts different amount of weight on the moral context of a significant other's sexual history prior to getting together. When it is important to one that the prior history is completely clean of sex or minimal, it is a requirement or prerequisite that must be met in order to further develop the relationship.

It is a judgement for or against the person on whether they meet the criteria to be in the relationship. We can argue all day long whether a person has the moral standing to make such judgement, but there is no question on whether it is a judgement or not.

My personal objections to using prior sexual history as a judgement in entering a relationship stems from this.

- It assumes that an individual can not change. In reality a person who has had past sexual exploits can change their view point and hold sex as a sacred act in a new relationship even though they did not hold that or practice that viewpoint in the past.

The word virginity is a binary judgement and it does not provide the level of degree of understanding necessary to truly ascertain whether a prospective mate is compatible with your own belief system.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 2:28:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
This is something I have dwelled on for years. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it, especially since I can only describe it from a girl's standpoint. Guys, how has this word affected you? Girls, well, what do you think?

Virginity. What a tiny, insufficient word that has such resounding power in our society. A word that in some cases dwells in the back of one's mind, an everpresent bug. A word that in other cases can be pure torture.

It certainly tortured me. I mean, what even is virginity? Is it something you lose when your hymen breaks? Or when you first come into contact with a male's genitals? Can you lose it from oral sex? Are you still a virgin after you are raped since rape is not sex? So much anguish caused from just an imaginary concept. Something I feel should be dropped.

I lost my virginity when I was 14. Or did I lose it when I was raped at 11? Or when I had oral sex at 13? Those questions I have asked myself over and over again, eventually I just gave up. The word virginity has eaten me alive, and it has taken me through periods of confusion, feelings of worthlessness, self hate, and self destruction.

It took me a while to realize that, in reality, you just can't win. If you are a virgin, that makes you a target for being taunted and bullied. If you aren't, suddenly you have lost all your value.

So why? Why do we do this to ourselves? We have given this word so much power when in reality it is completely powerless. I like to use currency as an analogy in regards to it. The paper dollar is valuable merely because we made it so. In reality it is just printed paper, nothing special. Virginity, I believe, is the same thing. Whether or not you are a "virgin", whatever the heck a virgin is, I believe it should not define you. My point? Every woman is infinitely more than whether or not she has a flap of skin covering her womanly parts.

With that said, I think our society would be better off without it. I could go on and on with facts and statistics, but I think I will leave it at this: This word is a means of control. Control over how you think about yourself and about others. Control over how you judge people and control over the thoughts that reach your head when you think of someone. So why let it?

Sense you are comfortable enough to talk about that horrible experience in your life, I hope it's ok for us to comment on it as well. Respectfully of course. First of all, I believe breaking you hymen during the act of intercourse, constitutes loosing your virginity. For males, just the act of intercourse. The males obviously being more symbolic.

It seems like that experience has definitely impacted your opinion of virginity. Your virginity was taken. Unfortunately you did not have the opportunity to give it to someone like most do. Maybe by decreasing the value or worth or virginity, it helps you cope with loosing the way you did. The paper dollar is not valuable because we simply made it so. It's valuable because its backed by an equivalent amount of gold bullion. At least it used to be.

Virginity, imo, is also backed by something more valuable. There is a certain innocence that comes along with it. Besides children, for the most part, almost completely occupy the virgin population. I believe the younger you are the stronger the emotional response. Whether it's desire, hurt, or joy. But i think that young children, like an 11 year old, just don't have the maturity to deal with that type of emotional response. It creates a deep vulnerability that usually manifests itself negatively later in life. So I think virginity should be protected, because that innocence children inherently possess should be protected. Much like yours should have been
OliveJuice
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 8:52:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
So why? Why do we do this to ourselves? We have given this word so much power when in reality it is completely powerless. I like to use currency as an analogy in regards to it. The paper dollar is valuable merely because we made it so. In reality it is just printed paper, nothing special. Virginity, I believe, is the same thing. Whether or not you are a "virgin", whatever the heck a virgin is, I believe it should not define you. My point? Every woman is infinitely more than whether or not she has a flap of skin covering her womanly parts.

Actually, that, "flap of skin," does not determine virginity, even if the term was materialistic. It is a thin membrane that can be damaged by injuries, medical examination, masturbation, or many forms of physical exercise. There is even the possibility that someone is born without one or that it reforms after 'breaking,' due to its elasticity. Therefore, the link between the hymen and 'virginity,' really needs to be broken (pun intended).

You are also forgetting that men can be virgins as well. This emphasizes that 'sexual innocence' cannot be determined via appearance. From my personal experience, men get just as much sh!t as women do about their sex lives and intimacy. Females are to blame just as much as males are; the pointless term will not go away until the majority of people agree to eliminate it. Unfortunately, considering the standing of our current society, I do not see this happening any time soon.

With that said, I think our society would be better off without it. I could go on and on with facts and statistics, but I think I will leave it at this: This word is a means of control. Control over how you think about yourself and about others. Control over how you judge people and control over the thoughts that reach your head when you think of someone. So why let it?

I agree that virginity is an unnecessary term and that it serves no purpose. Whether it matters to someone that they have had sex or not should probably be kept to themselves or their families.
.Innocence is news to me.
queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 7:45:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Only if you let it.
It really depends on how big of a deal you make it.
Some guys want a virgin, others don't.

Exactly.

I suppose it depends on the purpose.
Generally, a virgin is considered a virgin before she has sex. Thus, rape strips that away, especially in the religious view.
However, I would consider any sexual act no longer a virgin by definition, and any consensual act for most intents and purposes.

See, but that's an opinion. Everyone has their own definition, so even in the sense of a word (nonphysical), it is nonexistant.

Sorry to hear that, but was it really the word that has eaten you up?
Really? Not the abuse, but the word?

The abuse, of course. That much is common knowledge, but the feedback has not helped a bit. I have been rejected by many close friends and my own Church family, so essentially I am a different person than I could have been.

You are aware this is paradoxical, right?
I find it hard to believe those that ridicule you for being a virgin would be the same to ridicule you for not.
And, you are aware there is a middle ground, right? Not being a virgin =/= giving it away on a nightly basis to anyone who asks.

Yes, there is a middle ground. But even that ceases to matter when it comes to being rejected and judged. People don't ask you "How many times do you have sex per night?" they ask "Are you a virgin?" a black and white question with no right answer.



It's not the word that has power, it is the meaning of it.
As I said, taking a woman's virginity is powerful, period.
Or, it was when I was a teen.
It is the first time a woman is truly intimate with a guy, in the most intimate of acts. It changes things. Sex changes relationships. The woman gives herself to her man.

What you describe is sex, not virginity.

Just like with any virginity (using the term loosely in society, like a gaming virgin), the first time is powerfully influential and changes you; it sets the standard. If it is taken from you, that creates destruction. If you given, it creates trust. If it is given away foolishly, it creates doubt and distrust.

I agree with your statement. I believe your first time having sex is powerful, but I believe the concept of somehow "losing" something that you can never get back is minimizing and causes unnecessary pain.
queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 7:48:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2014 9:29:30 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
This word is a means of control. Control over how you think about yourself and about others. Control over how you judge people and control over the thoughts that reach your head when you think of someone. So why let it?

You are 100% right. The sole purpose the word is to create a binary category which can be judged. It serves no purpose other than that.

I'm glad you got to that conclusion.

I'm glad someone agrees. :)
queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 7:51:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sense you are comfortable enough to talk about that horrible experience in your life, I hope it's ok for us to comment on it as well. Respectfully of course. First of all, I believe breaking you hymen during the act of intercourse, constitutes loosing your virginity. For males, just the act of intercourse. The males obviously being more symbolic.

Yes, I am now open to it and am doing my best to accept it, therefore I don't mind comments at all.

It seems like that experience has definitely impacted your opinion of virginity. Your virginity was taken. Unfortunately you did not have the opportunity to give it to someone like most do. Maybe by decreasing the value or worth or virginity, it helps you cope with loosing the way you did. The paper dollar is not valuable because we simply made it so. It's valuable because its backed by an equivalent amount of gold bullion. At least it used to be.

Trust me, I am not the only one. I have friends who feel they lose something that makes them important after consent, and I know guys who relish in taking this.

Virginity, imo, is also backed by something more valuable. There is a certain innocence that comes along with it. Besides children, for the most part, almost completely occupy the virgin population. I believe the younger you are the stronger the emotional response. Whether it's desire, hurt, or joy. But i think that young children, like an 11 year old, just don't have the maturity to deal with that type of emotional response. It creates a deep vulnerability that usually manifests itself negatively later in life. So I think virginity should be protected, because that innocence children inherently possess should be protected. Much like yours should have been

I believe innocence and virginity are two different things. I wholeheartedly agree that children and girls should be protected, but not with labels.
queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 7:54:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/13/2014 8:52:50 PM, OliveJuice wrote:
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
So why? Why do we do this to ourselves? We have given this word so much power when in reality it is completely powerless. I like to use currency as an analogy in regards to it. The paper dollar is valuable merely because we made it so. In reality it is just printed paper, nothing special. Virginity, I believe, is the same thing. Whether or not you are a "virgin", whatever the heck a virgin is, I believe it should not define you. My point? Every woman is infinitely more than whether or not she has a flap of skin covering her womanly parts.

Actually, that, "flap of skin," does not determine virginity, even if the term was materialistic. It is a thin membrane that can be damaged by injuries, medical examination, masturbation, or many forms of physical exercise. There is even the possibility that someone is born without one or that it reforms after 'breaking,' due to its elasticity. Therefore, the link between the hymen and 'virginity,' really needs to be broken (pun intended).

But see, that is what I have stated above. There is no "fact" as to how you lose your virginity, this fluctuates through different cultures and individuals.

You are also forgetting that men can be virgins as well. This emphasizes that 'sexual innocence' cannot be determined via appearance. From my personal experience, men get just as much sh!t as women do about their sex lives and intimacy. Females are to blame just as much as males are; the pointless term will not go away until the majority of people agree to eliminate it. Unfortunately, considering the standing of our current society, I do not see this happening any time soon.

I have not forgot, if you reread my "argument" you will see I acknowledge virgin/non virgin males.
This is a generalization, however the negativity from a first encounter in most cases falls onto the girl.

I agree that virginity is an unnecessary term and that it serves no purpose. Whether it matters to someone that they have had sex or not should probably be kept to themselves or their families.
OliveJuice
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 9:27:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/14/2014 7:54:15 PM, queenofmayhem wrote:
At 4/13/2014 8:52:50 PM, OliveJuice wrote:
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
You are also forgetting that men can be virgins as well. This emphasizes that 'sexual innocence' cannot be determined via appearance. From my personal experience, men get just as much sh!t as women do about their sex lives and intimacy. Females are to blame just as much as males are; the pointless term will not go away until the majority of people agree to eliminate it. Unfortunately, considering the standing of our current society, I do not see this happening any time soon.

I have not forgot, if you reread my "argument" you will see I acknowledge virgin/non virgin males.
This is a generalization, however the negativity from a first encounter in most cases falls onto the girl.


False; men are also humiliated for the same reasons. Where exactly do you address this? Regardless, I have already agreed with your main point; I just think that it is wrong to believe that only females are victims of this type of harassment.
.Innocence is news to me.
queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 10:00:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/14/2014 9:27:32 PM, OliveJuice wrote:
At 4/14/2014 7:54:15 PM, queenofmayhem wrote:
At 4/13/2014 8:52:50 PM, OliveJuice wrote:
At 3/18/2014 2:05:40 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
You are also forgetting that men can be virgins as well. This emphasizes that 'sexual innocence' cannot be determined via appearance. From my personal experience, men get just as much sh!t as women do about their sex lives and intimacy. Females are to blame just as much as males are; the pointless term will not go away until the majority of people agree to eliminate it. Unfortunately, considering the standing of our current society, I do not see this happening any time soon.

I have not forgot, if you reread my "argument" you will see I acknowledge virgin/non virgin males.
This is a generalization, however the negativity from a first encounter in most cases falls onto the girl.


False; men are also humiliated for the same reasons. Where exactly do you address this? Regardless, I have already agreed with your main point; I just think that it is wrong to believe that only females are victims of this type of harassment.

And I never said such a thing. Remember, the above statement is a generalization. After all, a man is not called a b*tch or a sl*t. A man does not suffer physical damage or pregnancy.