Jump to topic:

Resource Shortage Due To Population

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 12:17:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Some claim, we don't have the natural resources needed to compensate for the growing human populations consumption. I however disagree.
I believe it is totally conceivable to construct a facility in which animals could be domesticated and plants and trees can grow just fine while still maintaining our growing populations.

My ideas are quite easy to imagine actually, a parking garage structure with mirrors to grow grass should be sturdy enough for most animals to live. For plants and trees we could use buildings as tall as sky scrapers with mirrors again to distribute the sunlight according to the plants and trees needs.

I don't understand why people limit their ingenuity and would rather think that they need to kill or be killed when confronting the idea of overpopulation.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 4:55:00 PM
At 3/20/2014 12:17:03 AM, pozessed wrote:
Some claim, we don't have the natural resources needed to compensate for the growing human populations consumption. I however disagree.

Resources have an attribute called "scarcity." This means that they are exhaustible and need time to be replenished. At the mathematical-rate at which humans are spreading, by the year 2600 there won't be an inch of space left on the globe without a human standing on it (oceans excluded) and our electricity-usage will make the surface of the planet glow red-hot like the filament in your toaster. Something to ponder.

I believe it is totally conceivable to construct a facility in which animals could be domesticated and plants and trees can grow just fine while still maintaining our growing populations.

We tried the biodome experiments in the 90s with utter failure, unless you count the success of Pauly Shore at spoofing it. You are attempting, as they did, to create an artificial ecosystem that doesn't rely on nature's abilities and instead uses technology to supplement what we need. I'll tell you what. Why don't you, and everyone else that agrees with you that technology can be successful in this way, go ahead and build your facilities and live in them. Have fun. Oh wait I forgot! That's just for everyone ELSE (mainly those who can't afford beach-houses) to live in! We already force the poor into slums, packed in there like sardine-cans while rich people play golf and tennis in their backyards. What do you think will be the result of a world constructed like you are imagining?

My ideas are quite easy to imagine actually, a parking garage structure with mirrors to grow grass should be sturdy enough for most animals to live. For plants and trees we could use buildings as tall as sky scrapers with mirrors again to distribute the sunlight according to the plants and trees needs.

There is nothing feasible about what you are describing. Solar energy is not only limited (and intermittent at that) but the technology to harvest it is relatively expensive and inefficient to use. If it weren't don't you think everybody would already be "off the grid" and using solar panels and mirrors to get rid of their utility bills?

I don't understand why people limit their ingenuity and would rather think that they need to kill or be killed when confronting the idea of overpopulation.

You should learn about a concept in biology called "carrying capacity." Humans are headed for a population crash of epic proportions. The only people who can't see this are people who are young and inexperienced and those who have business interests in keeping you growing that economy. We are nothing but a macro-disease that this planet is going to cough-up, quite easily I might add, in the near-future. A few hundred years to Earth is about the time it takes you to hiccup.

Going beyond the technical infeasibility of your commentary, what are your hopes by presenting this? So that we can go on being selfish and consuming everything we want? The only hope humanity has is to embrace small-scale societies founded on self-control from indulgence.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 12:14:55 PM
At 3/20/2014 4:55:00 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 3/20/2014 12:17:03 AM, pozessed wrote:

Resources have an attribute called "scarcity." This means that they are exhaustible and need time to be replenished. At the mathematical-rate at which humans are spreading, by the year 2600 there won't be an inch of space left on the globe without a human standing on it (oceans excluded) and our electricity-usage will make the surface of the planet glow red-hot like the filament in your toaster. Something to ponder.

All that you say is true, but you forget necessity is the mother of all invention. It is also the reason things live and die, some do what is necessary to survive some don't.

We tried the biodome experiments in the 90s with utter failure, unless you count the success of Pauly Shore at spoofing it. You are attempting, as they did, to create an artificial ecosystem that doesn't rely on nature's abilities and instead uses technology to supplement what we need. I'll tell you what. Why don't you, and everyone else that agrees with you that technology can be successful in this way, go ahead and build your facilities and live in them. Have fun. Oh wait I forgot! That's just for everyone ELSE (mainly those who can't afford beach-houses) to live in! We already force the poor into slums, packed in there like sardine-cans while rich people play golf and tennis in their backyards. What do you think will be the result of a world constructed like you are imagining?

People are doing "urban gardening" in the slums that you have mentioned. They are learning to reap the most from as little space as possible. That doesn't count as something that can be revolutionized for mass growth if need be?

There is nothing feasible about what you are describing. Solar energy is not only limited (and intermittent at that) but the technology to harvest it is relatively expensive and inefficient to use. If it weren't don't you think everybody would already be "off the grid" and using solar panels and mirrors to get rid of their utility bills?

I never said anything about energy conservation. I mentioned how something like a cow could be domesticated and fed. That was the extent of my thoughts. The mirrors are to help with the health of plants and animals growth, not electricity.

You should learn about a concept in biology called "carrying capacity." Humans are headed for a population crash of epic proportions. The only people who can't see this are people who are young and inexperienced and those who have business interests in keeping you growing that economy. We are nothing but a macro-disease that this planet is going to cough-up, quite easily I might add, in the near-future. A few hundred years to Earth is about the time it takes you to hiccup.

We haven't used our resources in the wisest ways, so what. Human existence has only been on our planet for a small fraction of it's existence. Yet in the last 2000 years our ability to communicate and engineer has become exponential. Why? Because we're presented with problems that have to be solved for the purpose of survival or convenience. We learn how to overcome by means of communication and adaption.

Going beyond the technical infeasibility of your commentary, what are your hopes by presenting this? So that we can go on being selfish and consuming everything we want? The only hope humanity has is to embrace small-scale societies founded on self-control from indulgence.

I think it's better for people to fathom ideas of construction rather than destruction.