Jump to topic:

African-Americanize your name!

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 4:14:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So I was looking at one of my favorite football teams and who they might draft this year. I doubt the Philadelphia Eagles will draft HaSean Clinton-Dix, but I think it would be great if they did. Why? Because they'd add a HaSean to their already-existing DeSean (Jackson) and LeSean (McCoy) - all studs at their respective positions, BTW. I think it is fascinating that African-Americans embellish their names so much! But why do they do it?

"
These names can be viewed as a reaction to Anglo dominated culture and is evidence, at least to some extent, of a attempt to put distance between that which is perceived as bland, ordinary, conformist, oppressive, and white.
"
http://www.behindthename.com...

Does the article hit the nail on the head here? I think it almost does, but it is being too politically/racially-correct here. There's OBVIOUSLY another element here, one which even white people are afraid to look at: vanity. People don't name their children "Lexus" or "Mercedes" just because the name sounds nice. Let's not kid ourselves. Now that's not to say that whites and others don't want a name that satisfies their thirst to be vain. "All is vanity" is a maxim hard to deny. Blacks are simply willing to go an extra step here, and perhaps the rise of the hip-hop culture (which worships wealth as the new form of Jesus) is compelling these people to chase wealth even when naming their children. For the record, I personally don't even believe "race" exists, apart from the superficial features (i.e., hair/skin color, shape of eyes and nose) that we commonly attribute it to. But black culture is a very real thing, and I fear it causes a lot of harm to African-Americans.

"
In March, the black blogger behind Stuff Black People Hate posted a denunciation of "stupid names," which he took the care to subcategorize into "Swahili Bastardizations" (Shaquan), "Luxury Latch-ons" (Prada), "Megalomaniacal Descriptors" (Heaven) and "The Unfathomably Ridiculous" (Anfernee). More than five months after its posting, a thread of feisty commentary still runs in response. Hating on black names is hardly a phenomenon confined to a small corner of the black blogosphere. Bill Cosby a few years back ranted at the NAACP about blacks "with names like Shaniqua, Shaligua, Mohammed and all that crap and all of them are in jail."
"
http://www.salon.com...

I had a class of black children recently where I work, and there was a "Heaven" amongst them. I was taken aback by the names they had, being so obviously named after people/things which were desirable. I remember Martin Lawrence's character "Sha'ne'ne" making fun of black girls' names back in the 90s.

"
A strong affinity for French-sounding names is quite obvious with the articles L', Le, and La used in abundance. Also very popular are the prefixes Sha, She, Shi, Ja, Je, Ka, Da, and De; and the suffixes isha, esha, ika, ius, ante, and ita. We also note the prediliction for mid-word capitalization (examples: LaQunda, LucQuente, D'Livero, AuTashea, DeLisha, NeClea) and the rising trend toward hyphenation (Fa-Trenna, K-Rob, R-Kal).
"
[from first article]

So would the "black" version of my name be "K-Rob?" Or maybe JerRobert LeRobertante-Q. Idunno...

Of course, we can also look at the fact that white names ARE especially bland. Many years ago, in my Chemistry-1 lab in college, there was a European student who pointed this out to me. We had a group of four guys in our lab team: Rob (me), Dan, Sam, and Vladimir. Can you guess which one wasn't American? :D
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 5:19:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My african american name is ADreamOfLiberty.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.