Jump to topic:

Is temptation the same as desire

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 7:44:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't think so. As a Christian, I believe temptation and desire aren't same. Because having a bad desire is sin already. As we all know, Jesus was tempted, but he did not sin. So temptation can't be the same as desire. Temptation is more evil persuasion.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 7:52:56 PM
They cannot be the same thing because they mean different things. With temptation, the subject is affected by the object, while with desire the object is affected by the subject. For example, if I tempt you, you are the one being affected by me. If I desire you, I am being affected by you.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Juris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 8:21:49 AM
At 3/20/2014 7:44:53 PM, Adam2 wrote:
I don't think so. As a Christian, I believe temptation and desire aren't same. Because having a bad desire is sin already. As we all know, Jesus was tempted, but he did not sin. So temptation can't be the same as desire. Temptation is more evil persuasion.

As an atheist, temptation and desire don't have real meanings, it depends on the context you use them. Further, Jesus is nothing but an ordinary man.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 10:09:19 AM
At 3/22/2014 8:21:49 AM, Juris wrote:

Jesus is nothing but an ordinary man.

Then how do explain how he could shoot lasers from his eyes?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Juris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 7:21:27 PM
At 3/22/2014 10:09:19 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 3/22/2014 8:21:49 AM, Juris wrote:

Jesus is nothing but an ordinary man.

Then how do explain how he could shoot lasers from his eyes?

Oh. LOL! He is cyclops