Jump to topic:

Can bullying have any benefits at all?

Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 7:24:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have always condemned bullying and condemn that it makes kids "have a back bone", that is simply not true for every person. I recently started an Opinion asking whether violence is justifiable to defend yourself from bullying. I started it off saying Yes and I stand by that. more recently I put in a comment about whether it should be stopped stating there were no benefits... But is that true?

I think bullying is cruel and evil regardless of any benefits but when you look into it, some benefits can exist. My girlfriend for example has said that being bullied, she developed a stronger sense of morality, and that it taught her that it does not matter what others think of you. For me, I must even admit, due to others cruelty towards myself, I always aim to be generally nice and (although everyone has their prejudices) never to be judgemental towards others. I try my best to be simply a decent person who is not mean to others. Could this be seen as a benefit to having been bullied? It is true other factors have shaped this morality I now have however...

So what do you guys think? I mean I can say that if there was a button that I could press which would end all bullying I would still press it none the less. Bullying has caused me more damage than good in the end... but my girlfriend argues that she was actually glad she was bullied and so probably thinks it did more good. As I say, I would still happily see a world without bullying, but do you think there are any benefits at all? (Oh and benefits do not include the bully's enjoyment or anything like that).
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 3:45:46 PM
At 3/24/2014 7:24:45 AM, Zylorarchy wrote:
I have always condemned bullying and condemn that it makes kids "have a back bone", that is simply not true for every person. I recently started an Opinion asking whether violence is justifiable to defend yourself from bullying. I started it off saying Yes and I stand by that. more recently I put in a comment about whether it should be stopped stating there were no benefits... But is that true?

I think bullying is cruel and evil regardless of any benefits but when you look into it, some benefits can exist. My girlfriend for example has said that being bullied, she developed a stronger sense of morality, and that it taught her that it does not matter what others think of you. For me, I must even admit, due to others cruelty towards myself, I always aim to be generally nice and (although everyone has their prejudices) never to be judgemental towards others. I try my best to be simply a decent person who is not mean to others. Could this be seen as a benefit to having been bullied? It is true other factors have shaped this morality I now have however...

So what do you guys think? I mean I can say that if there was a button that I could press which would end all bullying I would still press it none the less. Bullying has caused me more damage than good in the end... but my girlfriend argues that she was actually glad she was bullied and so probably thinks it did more good. As I say, I would still happily see a world without bullying, but do you think there are any benefits at all? (Oh and benefits do not include the bully's enjoyment or anything like that).

Bullying could lead you to suicide, which is generally a good thing.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 3:53:38 PM
At 3/25/2014 3:45:46 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

How is that, in any way, a good thing?
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 4:05:20 PM
At 3/25/2014 3:53:38 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:

If you give it a considerable thought...

1- The person who committed suicide will no longer feel emotional pain.

2- That person will no longer cause those around him headaches and worries or annoy them with his emo sh!t.

3- That person will avoid seeing his loved ones dead.

4- That person will early discover what happens after death, if anything does happen, which is a philosophical question that many struggle with.

5- The world is suffering overpopulation, so one less consumer of food and water is a positive aspect.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 4:07:52 PM
At 3/25/2014 4:05:20 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

2- That person will no longer cause those around him headaches and worries or annoy them with his emo sh!t.

4- That person will early discover what happens after death, if anything does happen, which is a philosophical question that many struggle with.

5- The world is suffering overpopulation, so one less consumer of food and water is a positive aspect.

Interesting points... but rather extreme and slightly judgemental.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 1:44:44 AM

I don't find suicide rational.

1- This needs an assumption that people are not supposed or allowed to feel emotional pain. That the level of emotional pain is hopeless. Is it fair in the context of this world? Nope. However, that is how the game works.

2- Suicide is more likely to bring regret and sadness to people close to the suicidee.

3- If the person cares about his loved ones, then that would be selfish, which isn't generally seen as a positive trait.

4- They will discover them sooner or later. There is no benefit in knowing it early.

5- The overpopulation thing is overhyped. Even if it wasn't, suicide isn't going to magically fix the problem.

As for the main topic, bullying isn't generally beneficial. It can be in rare cases by making the person stronger though.
jaksunmadness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 12:05:59 AM
Bullying is a product of a competitive society. When you have a competitive society the need to suppress and stifle others and the urge to fight back exists. If there are no bullies, people will not fight back but this also means there will be no disputes and factions can easily work together and even merge together into one whole.
OliveJuice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 7:19:55 PM
At 3/26/2014 1:44:44 AM, Dragonfang wrote:

I don't find suicide rational.

1- This needs an assumption that people are not supposed or allowed to feel emotional pain. That the level of emotional pain is hopeless. Is it fair in the context of this world? Nope. However, that is how the game works.

2- Suicide is more likely to bring regret and sadness to people close to the suicidee.

3- If the person cares about his loved ones, then that would be selfish, which isn't generally seen as a positive trait.

4- They will discover them sooner or later. There is no benefit in knowing it early.

5- The overpopulation thing is overhyped. Even if it wasn't, suicide isn't going to magically fix the problem.

As for the main topic, bullying isn't generally beneficial. It can be in rare cases by making the person stronger though.

Agreed.
.Innocence is news to me.