Jump to topic:

"Slavery" is alive and well!!!

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:52:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have heard of sex trafficking, but apparently there is also forced labor trafficking, too.

http://www.startribune.com...

What the hell is wrong with people?!?

And, to do it to your own kind, praying on their desparation which you know all too well, that makes it even worse.
My work here is, finally, done.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:24:55 PM
At 3/30/2014 9:52:23 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I have heard of sex trafficking, but apparently there is also forced labor trafficking, too.

Our economic system rewards such behavior, weighed against the risk of getting caught. If the risk of being caught can be minimized, you are compelled to participate in this sort of thing (provided your morality is degraded enough, which is relatively commonplace).

Some people want to wear Nikes and watch TV like the rest of us Americans. It might be easier for you to accomplish this than others, and you shouldn't condemn them for trying to have what you have but being more obviously immoral about it. The products you and I use compel the same type of treatment of people, I assure you.

And, to do it to your own kind, praying on their desparation which you know all too well, that makes it even worse.

First, whether it's "your own kind" or somebody else's is irrelevant, is it not? Second, our economic system uses desperation in the same way. Do you think that anybody wants to be a waitress, work in a shitty factory job or business center? Most of the jobs Americans do are horrible in many ways, but we do them anyway out of desperation.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 4:10:53 PM

"your own kind"

LOL, Is it any better or worse if it is or isn't "your own kind"
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 4:15:47 PM
At 3/31/2014 4:10:53 PM, slo1 wrote:

"your own kind"

It is worse if my assumption is true:
That the woman, who is a Vietnamese immigrant, knowing full well the state of people's lives there, decides to exploit them. Keeping in mind she fully tricked the people by saying they would be legal immigrants.
Yes, it is far worse to exploit that which you lived through and lucked out to get away from.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 4:25:27 PM
At 3/31/2014 4:15:47 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

"your own kind"

That the woman, who is a Vietnamese immigrant, knowing full well the state of people's lives there, decides to exploit them. Keeping in mind she fully tricked the people by saying they would be legal immigrants.
Yes, it is far worse to exploit that which you lived through and lucked out to get away from.

It is no worse if the perp goes and gets a slave of the same country of origin as them or whether they get a slave from a different country of origin as them. To postulate there is a a difference gives credence to one being less bad than the other simply because the slave is not from the same country.

On an interesting note, indentured servitude is a huge problem in Pakistan and India where over it is estimated 16 million serve as modern slaves. It is a sad world.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 4:36:39 PM
At 3/31/2014 4:25:27 PM, slo1 wrote:

"your own kind"

It is no worse if the perp goes and gets a slave of the same country of origin as them or whether they get a slave from a different country of origin as them. To postulate there is a a difference gives credence to one being less bad than the other simply because the slave is not from the same country.

Not the same country, but to turn your back completely on something you know all to well makes it worse.
A sex slave becoming a sex trafficker, to me, is worse than an average fvck becoming one. To prey on a desperation/destitution/naivety that you know all to well, makes it worse, to me.

If she were a fifth generation American, then, no, there would be no difference since there is a lack of first-hand empathy.

On an interesting note, indentured servitude is a huge problem in Pakistan and India where over it is estimated 16 million serve as modern slaves. It is a sad world.

Agreed.
In principle, I don't think indentured servitude (as I understand it) is morally bad, but it is often accompanied with abuse/exploitation, which is bad. Or is a "contract for deed", where I work to pay off the loan, and after which, the deed is mine, not similar?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 4:38:02 PM

"your own kind"

Would the better phrase have been "your own lot"? As in, someone who is in a similar lot in life as you were, only to exploit it instead of empathize.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 4:41:52 PM
At 3/31/2014 4:36:39 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/31/2014 4:25:27 PM, slo1 wrote:

"your own kind"

Not the same country, but to turn your back completely on something you know all to well makes it worse.
A sex slave becoming a sex trafficker, to me, is worse than an average fvck becoming one. To prey on a desperation/destitution/naivety that you know all to well, makes it worse, to me.

If she were a fifth generation American, then, no, there would be no difference since there is a lack of first-hand empathy.

Agreed.
In principle, I don't think indentured servitude (as I understand it) is morally bad, but it is often accompanied with abuse/exploitation, which is bad. Or is a "contract for deed", where I work to pay off the loan, and after which, the deed is mine, not similar?

No you are right. Indentured servitude is not inherently evil when the contract is fair. Bad choice of words on my part. When it is used with deception and made impossible to pay off the contract that crosses the line into slavery.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 3:22:46 AM

That was essentially what the Khobragade diplomat case was about, she forced her maid to work long hours for her, withheld her passport, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
jaksunmadness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 12:13:57 AM
Wow where have you been for the past years. Slavery exists everywhere in this world even if it's outlawed in other countries. America is a prime location for slaves and of course sex slaves under the forced wing of pimping.