Jump to topic:

Free Rice

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:37:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Have you guys ever heard of this site? I just discovered it today. Basically, you just pick a category, and it gives you a quiz. For every answer, they donate 10 grains of rice to Africa. Some category's are easy (vocabulary) and some are a bit harder (History/flags), but I think its a good idea. Do like 20-30 questions a day and you provide a small meal to some impoverished people. Check it out.

http://freerice.com...
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:37:54 PM
Well technically, they consider 100 grains a bowl, but that's way to little for anyone. Even impoverished people.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:47:38 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:37:00 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
Have you guys ever heard of this site? I just discovered it today. Basically, you just pick a category, and it gives you a quiz. For every answer, they donate 10 grains of rice to Africa. Some category's are easy (vocabulary) and some are a bit harder (History/flags), but I think its a good idea. Do like 20-30 questions a day and you provide a small meal to some impoverished people. Check it out.

That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. They make the money needed for donating rice by you answering questions?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:49:24 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:47:38 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. They make the money needed for donating rice by you answering questions?

No, its charity. They donate rice for every question you get correct, depending on what category your doing. Attention Conservatives, not everything is about money
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:50:15 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:49:24 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

No, its charity. They donate rice for every question you get correct, depending on what category your doing. Attention Conservatives, not everything is about money

How do they get the money?
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:51:00 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:50:15 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

Is it a millionaire who runs the site?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:51:18 PM

Rice is insanely cheap, so they contact places like China and ask for donations or buy some themselves.
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:54:38 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:51:18 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Rice is insanely cheap, so they contact places like China and ask for donations or buy some themselves.

Or Thailand. The price of rice is increasing because of the Thai government though.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:55:50 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:54:38 PM, Kc1999 wrote:

Or Thailand. The price of rice is increasing because of the Thai government though.

Yeah, places like that have a huge reliance on exporting Rice. Fortunately, places like China and Japan ship billions of grains a day.
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:57:41 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:55:50 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Yeah, places like that have a huge reliance on exporting Rice. Fortunately, places like China and Japan ship billions of grains a day.

Thailand is the 2nd biggest rice provider in the world.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 4:00:38 PM
At 3/30/2014 3:57:41 PM, Kc1999 wrote:
At 3/30/2014 3:55:50 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Thailand is the 2nd biggest rice provider in the world.

Even so, rice is not very profitable. Looking at this economic treemap, it shows that Thailand's export money of Rice only accounts for 2.6% of the total trade influx. Your economy seems to be more focused on producing machinery parts to support it.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 4:26:53 PM
From what I can tell, free rice is a joke. Apparently in bulk, you can buy approximately 250,000 grains of rice for a dollar, meaning that an hour spent on the site would donate less than 10 cents of rice. It's not even a registered charity. In fact, free rice probably leads to less donations overall, because people who use it are less inclined to donate in other ways. If you actually want to help, donating directly is better.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 4:57:31 PM
At 3/30/2014 4:26:53 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
From what I can tell, free rice is a joke. Apparently in bulk, you can buy approximately 250,000 grains of rice for a dollar, meaning that an hour spent on the site would donate less than 10 cents of rice. It's not even a registered charity. In fact, free rice probably leads to less donations overall, because people who use it are less inclined to donate in other ways. If you actually want to help, donating directly is better.

You know, I looked it up and I think your right. They are making an extreme amount more money then they are donating. They do donate it through the world food program, but the question I'm wondering, is if you can get 75,000 grains of rice for two dollar, then how come people are still starving? I mean, I do the numbers, and it seems like you would need to spend 4$ to feed a village a day. Meaning that it would take each american to pay a 4$ tax to effectively end world hunger. Am I wrong?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:13:06 PM
At 3/30/2014 4:57:31 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

You know, I looked it up and I think your right. They are making an extreme amount more money then they are donating. They do donate it through the world food program, but the question I'm wondering, is if you can get 75,000 grains of rice for two dollar, then how come people are still starving? I mean, I do the numbers, and it seems like you would need to spend 4$ to feed a village a day. Meaning that it would take each american to pay a 4$ tax to effectively end world hunger. Am I wrong?

A person needs something like 50,000 grains of rice a day, which is like 500 dollars a year. A charity would also need to ship the rice and distribute it (which is very expensive, given Africa's lack of infrastructure), which would probably make that figure closer to 1000. There are over a billion people in Africa, so feeding every one of them would be 1 trillion dollars per year (and Africa's obviously not the only impoverished place).
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:17:03 PM
At 3/30/2014 5:13:06 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

A person needs something like 50,000 grains of rice a day, which is like 500 dollars a year. A charity would also need to ship the rice and distribute it (which is very expensive, given Africa's lack of infrastructure), which would probably make that figure closer to 1000. There are over a billion people in Africa, so feeding every one of them would be 1 trillion dollars per year (and Africa's obviously not the only impoverished place).

Agreed, but their are already structures in place to ship and distribute food. Anyways, I did some more research, and it seems that Freerice donates 1000$ worth of rice a day, from all its members. Funny thing is though, they make 150,000$ a day from the web clicks according to this site. This seems to be the reason they are not a charity, as they are keeping profit. Anyways, 1000$ of rice is a lot, so I wont totally mark it down as a joke. You know, I bet we could end world hunger in a year if we were seriously dedicated to doing so.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:46:45 PM
At 3/30/2014 5:17:03 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:13:06 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Agreed, but their are already structures in place to ship and distribute food. Anyways, I did some more research, and it seems that Freerice donates 1000$ worth of rice a day, from all its members. Funny thing is though, they make 150,000$ a day from the web clicks according to this site. This seems to be the reason they are not a charity, as they are keeping profit. Anyways, 1000$ of rice is a lot, so I wont totally mark it down as a joke. You know, I bet we could end world hunger in a year if we were seriously dedicated to doing so.

Yeah, I saw that site too. They don't make 150k a day (that was based on a ridiculously generous ad-sense return rate). But yeah, last year freerice donated like 38k to charity, which is hardly anything when you think about it. They're definitely a sham. It has the appeal of "Learning and saving the world at the same time", when in reality, it's a joke. If people just donated 5 dollars and used the time they would have spent mindlessly clicking, they could achieve both goals much more efficiently.