Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Should those with mental health issues...

Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 11:45:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
be here on DDO? If they shouldn't, why not and if they should, why so?

Are those with mental health disorders a productive part of society? If they are how so? If they aren't, how are they not?

Lastly, what would be your recommendations to someone who suffers with mental illness coming here onto this website? What would you tell them?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 11:57:24 AM
At 4/1/2014 11:45:28 AM, Haroush wrote:

I don't see any relevance between mental disorders and DDO. If anybody were to say they shouldn't be here then that person is almost surely full of **it.

Are those with mental health disorders a productive part of society? If they are how so? If they aren't, how are they not?

Of course they are - why wouldn't they be? Mental disorders are occurring more and more nowadays for several reasons, one being the predominance of chemical pollution and the other being our modern lifestyles which are sedentary, technologically-focused, and luxury-dependent. Parents living these lifestyles have increasing trouble raising mentally-strong children.

Lastly, what would be your recommendations to someone who suffers with mental illness coming here onto this website? What would you tell them?

First, I'd say "join the club, there are many of us here." Second, I'd say that sitting online is not good for certain mental illnesses and you should get out in the real world and heal naturally by talking to real people. If you're here to escape reality, then DDO is going to make you worse, not better.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 12:41:12 PM
At 4/1/2014 11:57:24 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I don't see any relevance between mental disorders and DDO. If anybody were to say they shouldn't be here then that person is almost surely full of **it.

Of course they are - why wouldn't they be? Mental disorders are occurring more and more nowadays for several reasons, one being the predominance of chemical pollution and the other being our modern lifestyles which are sedentary, technologically-focused, and luxury-dependent. Parents living these lifestyles have increasing trouble raising mentally-strong children.

First, I'd say "join the club, there are many of us here." Second, I'd say that sitting online is not good for certain mental illnesses and you should get out in the real world and heal naturally by talking to real people. If you're here to escape reality, then DDO is going to make you worse, not better.

What if you are looking for jobs constantly online and live with two psychaotic middle aged adults that act like they are still in high school?
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 12:51:59 PM
To make it worse, you have no car, and have no supportive help other than your fiance, grandma, and aunt. The only problem is your grandad just recently died so your grandma is dealing with a lot herself. To complicate the situation more, those who did support you who could be helping you in your current situation are now dead. Where do you turn to if your mom is a drug addict as well as your dad with two brothers who are consumed in their own troubles? To add on a little spice, your mom doesn't talk to you and neither does your dad. For that matter, no one does except your grandma, fiance, and aunt. What is the best way to deal with these issues other than just relying on yourself since the only help you do receive isn't much, but the most others can give, considering what they are going through?
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:27:56 PM

50% of persons in the United States have or will have a mental disorder
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:31:56 PM
At 4/1/2014 4:27:56 PM, kbub wrote:

50% of persons in the United States have or will have a mental disorder

That wouldn't surprise me if that is true. Have a link?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 5:29:06 PM

It all depends on the disorder, doesn't it?
My work here is, finally, done.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 9:06:33 PM
At 4/1/2014 5:29:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Well, yes technically, but the fact we are speaking of those mentally ill that are a functional part of society helps to cut down the list of possible mentally ill people you may be dealing with.
Leanin_on_Slick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 10:46:12 PM

I would be careful about the language you use here. I think it's a mistake to view general mental disorders like OCD and anxiety similarly to how we might view cancer or Parkinson's Disease. Mental health issues can be very difficult to deal with, but you can tackle them through changes in habits. This is what Cognitive Behavior Therapy for example is based on. It can be difficult, but small changes in thought habits and behavioral habits can lead to major changes in the day to day experience. Of course, you also want to do the best you can to surround yourself with the best environment you can.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:03:29 AM
At 4/1/2014 9:06:33 PM, Haroush wrote:
At 4/1/2014 5:29:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Well, yes technically, but the fact we are speaking of those mentally ill that are a functional part of society helps to cut down the list of possible mentally ill people you may be dealing with.

Are we talking about those? Your second question would suggest otherwise, wouldn't it?
But, to be clear, hear is my answer:

It depends on the disorder, doesn't it?

My work here is, finally, done.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:30:35 AM

They should if they want to: "freedom of speech." However, they should <strong/> get help.

They can be.

I would tell them: Welcome and enjoy the site. However, if they start feeling unwell, they should visit their psychiatrist/ doctor/ take their meds...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
vampandaz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:34:41 PM
Just to say, having a mental illness doesn't make you act crazy or strange. I have one and each time I mention it somebody thinks im lieing because I act normal. I do normal things, and obviously im on DDO and not planning on leaving any time soon. Mental Illnesses all have different effects. Like Schizophrenia is often thought to be seeing things constantly and flipping out and acting crazy. I have a friend in my school who has schizophrenia and nobody can tell the difference. some schizophrenia's don't even SEE THINGS! I have PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder) and you always see veterans on t.v and stuff freaking out from this when just about everyone in the world has had a small case of PTSD. I hope no one on here thinks that people with mental illness are disabled from doing everyday things, because truth is all the major scientists and mathematicians have a mental illness.
Rye
OliveJuice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 3:59:06 PM

Since when does any health concern waive you of your rights as a human being? You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg, lactose intolerance, or cancer that they do not belong on a particular website because of their personal health, would you? It's really that simple.

Please prove to me how and why it matters that someone is 'productive' in society. What does that even mean? Once again, are people with broken bones, lactose intolerance, or cancer productive people? I'm not sure because I do not even think that that is a legitimate question, so please feel free to tell me. Would this mean that ignorant idiots are counterproductive in society? This, I could quite possibly agree with.

This is completely irrelevant; the internet has nothing to do with mental health disorders or their improvement. I wouldn't tell them anything because it is their personal business, not mine.
.Innocence is news to me.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 6:41:15 PM

Why shouldn't they be?

Why ask that question in the first place?

Depends on who they are.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 6:47:20 PM

First of all, how do you define mental health disorder? If someone were to simply have OCD, or an irrational fear of lightning, would that necessarily make them unfit to be on this Site?
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
OliveJuice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 9:38:18 PM
At 4/13/2014 8:00:31 PM, Haroush wrote:
Some people are overthinking my thread....

Perhaps you're under-thinking it; how does this thread benefit anyone in any way?
.Innocence is news to me.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:39:09 AM

I could name a few with such issues...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 8:18:35 PM
At 4/14/2014 9:38:18 PM, OliveJuice wrote:
At 4/13/2014 8:00:31 PM, Haroush wrote:
Some people are overthinking my thread....

Perhaps you're under-thinking it; how does this thread benefit anyone in any way?

Well, if you are going to make insinuations, you are liable to explain yourself. So, until then... don't expect me to reply with any kind of effort.