Jump to topic:

Those awkward moments after a sneeze.

perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:05:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So you are in a room with a friend or even a stranger and they sneeze. We all do it. It"s not a handicap nor is it a sign of weakness, a sneeze is non discriminatory.
Growing up I learned to say "God bless you" or "Bless you" after someone sneezes and you thank the person who blesses you after you sneeze, but why?
As per Wikipedia, there are a few ideas of how this tradition started; A reaction to the Bubonic plague (Pope Gregory I ordered endless prayers and parades of chanters to ward off the disease as sneezing was a symptom of the plague) and another explanation was ones spirit leaves the body and the phrase would act as a shield from evil spirits replacing it. But according to Snopes Urban legends it was a phrase that began "simply as a response for an event that was not well understood at the time".
So we have the reality of a sneeze and we have this awkward and strange reaction to it. People are still sneezing but today we know about the various reasons that causes people to sneeze which has nothing to do with the reasons this phrase got started in the first place, so why do we live in a society that expects one to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes? I know that this is quite a benign thing in our lives to be questioning but I think it reveals how we hold on to ideas of the past, silly ones and sometimes dangerous ones because our predecessors taught us to treat them as sacred and we never thought to question it.

So if you happen to be in a room with me and you sneeze I won"t "bless" you and don"t take it personally if I don"t, it happens to me too you know.
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 3:21:17 PM
At 4/5/2014 12:05:56 PM, perplexed wrote:
So you are in a room with a friend or even a stranger and they sneeze. We all do it. It"s not a handicap nor is it a sign of weakness, a sneeze is non discriminatory.
Growing up I learned to say "God bless you" or "Bless you" after someone sneezes and you thank the person who blesses you after you sneeze, but why?
As per Wikipedia, there are a few ideas of how this tradition started; A reaction to the Bubonic plague (Pope Gregory I ordered endless prayers and parades of chanters to ward off the disease as sneezing was a symptom of the plague) and another explanation was ones spirit leaves the body and the phrase would act as a shield from evil spirits replacing it. But according to Snopes Urban legends it was a phrase that began "simply as a response for an event that was not well understood at the time".
So we have the reality of a sneeze and we have this awkward and strange reaction to it. People are still sneezing but today we know about the various reasons that causes people to sneeze which has nothing to do with the reasons this phrase got started in the first place, so why do we live in a society that expects one to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes? I know that this is quite a benign thing in our lives to be questioning but I think it reveals how we hold on to ideas of the past, silly ones and sometimes dangerous ones because our predecessors taught us to treat them as sacred and we never thought to question it.

So if you happen to be in a room with me and you sneeze I won"t "bless" you and don"t take it personally if I don"t, it happens to me too you know.

First I'd like to say that I've been on DDO nearly since it's inception in '07 and your demographic (middle-aged woman) has been all but completely nonexistent for the entirety of the life of this site. Women in general are pretty rare on here other than some mostly transient teenage girls. I know a couple of early twenties-ish girls that have been on here (and there's probably been a couple more I simply aren't thinking of) but you could be the only woman of 30+ years we've ever had!

As far as sneezing is concerned, I'm kind of annoyed by people's insistence on acknowledging me when I do it. I sneeze a couple times a day on average, and I'm a louder sneezer. If I'm in public then somebody usually has to say something, which then means I'm in the position to have to acknowledge their acknowledgement with a "thank you" even though I'm not thankful at all... but I've been trying to work on saying it anyway just to not be antisocial. That's my two cents!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 3:47:52 PM
At 4/5/2014 3:21:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 4/5/2014 12:05:56 PM, perplexed wrote:

First I'd like to say that I've been on DDO nearly since it's inception in '07 and your demographic (middle-aged woman) has been all but completely nonexistent for the entirety of the life of this site. Women in general are pretty rare on here other than some mostly transient teenage girls. I know a couple of early twenties-ish girls that have been on here (and there's probably been a couple more I simply aren't thinking of) but you could be the only woman of 30+ years we've ever had!

i take pride in my rarity .. i don't consider myself middle aged, well not right now at least
;p

As far as sneezing is concerned, I'm kind of annoyed by people's insistence on acknowledging me when I do it. I sneeze a couple times a day on average, and I'm a louder sneezer. If I'm in public then somebody usually has to say something, which then means I'm in the position to have to acknowledge their acknowledgement with a "thank you" even though I'm not thankful at all... but I've been trying to work on saying it anyway just to not be antisocial. That's my two cents!

it's a strange custom...i guess my point is to question why we hold some traditions as something meaningful when it got started for some obscure reason...
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.