Freedom vs Security

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 5:37:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I came across this quote in a book:
"The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe." - H. L. Mencken

Does anyone disagree?
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 5:13:05 PM
At 4/11/2014 5:37:56 AM, Defro wrote:
"The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe." - H. L. Mencken

Does anyone disagree?

The question to cogitate is are either of those attainable?
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 6:30:33 PM

Does anyone disagree?

What is safety other than the safety of whatever freedoms you desire?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 6:39:58 PM

Does anyone disagree?

I have some interesting theories on freedom. It should be earned for ones self, and not liberated for others.

Freedom is earned within yourself, by making yourself independent of others influence/opinion, knowing that you always have a choice, and making sure you accept everything that comes your way.

People expect the government to keep them free, but that is their own responsibility. Freedom is in the act, and I ensure you that Gahndi under the British Raj had more freedom then any american.

Anyways, in responce to your question, people do want safety. But, that is because its whats natural. Its natural for us to stay alive, conform, and be like the bunch. Truth is, when you throw out safety, conformity, and fear you will achieve happiness.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Kanti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 7:43:25 PM
At 4/11/2014 5:13:05 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Does anyone disagree?

The question to cogitate is are either of those attainable?

I think what you should distill from the quote is "can freedom and security exist in equilibrium?".

At 4/16/2014 8:09:06 PM, queenofmayhem wrote:
"Give me liberty or give me death." -Patrick Henry

If you give up liberty for security, you get tyranny.

And without security people are running around with automatic machine guns, terrorists have free reign, hackers are stealing credit card information, and no one has the tools to stop the bad men because liberty really only means the absence of control.

Society has to be protected from themselves so this idea that being to do whatever you want means absolutely nothing because you're trading a tyrant in Washington for a ten thousand tyrants right down the road.

At 4/17/2014 6:39:58 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Does anyone disagree?

I have some interesting theories on freedom. It should be earned for ones self, and not liberated for others.

Freedom is earned within yourself, by making yourself independent of others influence/opinion, knowing that you always have a choice, and making sure you accept everything that comes your way.

People expect the government to keep them free, but that is their own responsibility. Freedom is in the act, and I ensure you that Gahndi under the British Raj had more freedom then any american.

Anyways, in responce to your question, people do want safety. But, that is because its whats natural. Its natural for us to stay alive, conform, and be like the bunch. Truth is, when you throw out safety, conformity, and fear you will achieve happiness.

How exactly does one keep themselves safe from a terrorist plot?

How does an old person protect themselves from malicious internet activity?

How do minority groups keep themselves protected from the tyranny of the majority?

No I believe liberty is a natural right and the government has the right to protect it and paradoxically that may mean taking a piece of it away as a sacrifice. I'm not talking about the NSA either.

For example you don't have the right pass gay discrimination laws just because the 1st amendment gives you the right to practice your religion. You have to infringe on the 2nd amendment because machine guns are a public health concern. What we need is transparency so we can actually trust that the government has our best interests in mind because after all they work for us.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 5:21:54 AM
I believe that you need "security" to uphold "freedom" and "freedom" for "security" to be worthwhile.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 8:43:51 AM
At 4/17/2014 6:30:33 PM, Wocambs wrote:

Does anyone disagree?

What is safety other than the safety of whatever freedoms you desire?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 11:15:30 PM

Does anyone disagree?

Funny how almost no one actually answered the question. I don't disagree. I had a debate recently with another DDO member regarding this. Freedom doesn't exist in this country. And it shouldn't. Put simply, there are just to many crazy people in the world.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:41:39 PM

Does anyone disagree?

I don't see how anyone could disagree when one evaluates the level of freedom in the world and how it is easily limited by the justification of security.