Jump to topic:

Does The Fear Of The East Still Exist?

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 8:42:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It used to be referred to as "The Yellow Peril" and "Yellow Terror". These are racist terms, the latter holding similarity with the term "sinophobia" which focuses on those of Chinese ethnicity. The former having evolved into a broader reference to the Asian race as a whole, originally expanding to focus on the Japanese.

The fear of the East (among Westerners of course) most definitely still exists. It's not quite as apparent as it was in the 19th/earlier 20th century, but it's there.

I think people confuse the existence of people who for instance claim to be Japanophiles (or Wapanese) as evidence that Japanophia is non-existent, or relegated to the older generation that cling to old prejudices. The idea that because a number or White Americans are fascinated with all-things-Japanese (or Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.), and that many Asian-Americans and Asian immigrants are highly educated and wealthy in the West (aka model minority) is some sort of sign that animosity towards the East is not a modern concept anymore. I think it's quite obvious that the prejudices still exist, intact, as it was any time in the past, minus the slave labor and concentration camps.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 12:38:49 PM
Not in all of the West, but I believe a better question is who in Europe really consitutes as the West, there was a time when Italians, Spaniards, Germans, southern English, Welsh, French, Poles, Sicilians, Greeks were not considered white or Western.

The ones who do fear the Asians are the Brits (Lowlands Scots), the Danes, the Swedes. They're the ones who historically have persecuted them everytime the Asians came to their countries.
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2014 2:34:50 PM
At 4/12/2014 12:38:49 PM, Adam2 wrote:
Not in all of the West, but I believe a better question is who in Europe really constitutes as the West, there was a time when Italians, Spaniards, Germans, southern English, Welsh, French, Poles, Sicilians, Greeks were not considered white or Western.

The ones who do fear the Asians are the Brits (Lowlands Scots), the Danes, the Swedes. They're the ones who historically have persecuted them ever time the Asians came to their countries.

yet many other countries persecuted them, even between themselves. The European nations mostly moved to the west during the age of imperialism. and why do you say (low land Scots, Scotland did not get it's own parliament until July, 1999. they were even made to shut down their trading companies and give up their colonies. when the act of Union of 1707 was issued it merged the two nations under the parliament in Westminster. So any action made is the responsibility of the British government not the lowlanders.
"Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."
- John Lennon
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2014 12:31:14 PM
At 4/12/2014 8:42:56 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
It used to be referred to as "The Yellow Peril" and "Yellow Terror". These are racist terms, the latter holding similarity with the term "sinophobia" which focuses on those of Chinese ethnicity. The former having evolved into a broader reference to the Asian race as a whole, originally expanding to focus on the Japanese.

The fear of the East (among Westerners of course) most definitely still exists. It's not quite as apparent as it was in the 19th/earlier 20th century, but it's there.

I think people confuse the existence of people who for instance claim to be Japanophiles (or Wapanese) as evidence that Japanophia is non-existent, or relegated to the older generation that cling to old prejudices. The idea that because a number or White Americans are fascinated with all-things-Japanese (or Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.), and that many Asian-Americans and Asian immigrants are highly educated and wealthy in the West (aka model minority) is some sort of sign that animosity towards the East is not a modern concept anymore. I think it's quite obvious that the prejudices still exist, intact, as it was any time in the past, minus the slave labor and concentration camps.

The "yellow peril" is old old school. The South East Asian influx to the US has a very unique history. There is much of the discrimination from 1800's when country largely being built, but in more modern times there has been more integration between Asian immigrants, starting in the 70's when there were many adoptions and immigration from Vietnam and other South East Asian countries.

I think since much of the immigration at that time was under duress and as a result of evil communism so there was more acceptance overall which battled the xenophobic side. With that said there are still many who hold to ethnic purity principles. Xenophobia has a long way to being wiped out and it includes South East Asians. Ever heard how some Japanese, Korean, & Chinese talk about Filipinos or Vietnamese? Yikes.

I have add as well all the salty ol timers I knew who were around during WWII hated the Japanese, even more so than the Germans. Some of that was Perl Harbor, at least that is what they said.

There has also been many events that contribute to justifying xenophobia, such in the 80's when there was unfounded concern that Japan would grow economically and take over the US by buying it. People hating on Indian call centers is a good example of more recent phenomena on how individuals justify discriminatory beliefs against Asians.

It is messy, but overall we continue down the right track to become a country that values ethnicity and diversity, but is color blind when judging an individual.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 10:43:50 AM
At 7/7/2014 12:31:14 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 4/12/2014 8:42:56 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

The "yellow peril" is old old school. The South East Asian influx to the US has a very unique history. There is much of the discrimination from 1800's when country largely being built, but in more modern times there has been more integration between Asian immigrants, starting in the 70's when there were many adoptions and immigration from Vietnam and other South East Asian countries.

I think since much of the immigration at that time was under duress and as a result of evil communism so there was more acceptance overall which battled the xenophobic side. With that said there are still many who hold to ethnic purity principles. Xenophobia has a long way to being wiped out and it includes South East Asians. Ever heard how some Japanese, Korean, & Chinese talk about Filipinos or Vietnamese? Yikes.

I have add as well all the salty ol timers I knew who were around during WWII hated the Japanese, even more so than the Germans. Some of that was Perl Harbor, at least that is what they said.

There has also been many events that contribute to justifying xenophobia, such in the 80's when there was unfounded concern that Japan would grow economically and take over the US by buying it. People hating on Indian call centers is a good example of more recent phenomena on how individuals justify discriminatory beliefs against Asians.

It is messy, but overall we continue down the right track to become a country that values ethnicity and diversity, but is color blind when judging an individual.
I wouldn't say that the Yellow Peril is entirely old school. It's just not expressed as aggressively.

The xenophobia among the different Asian groups in America is changing a bit due to Asian-American empowerment groups. When Asian immigration into America first began, there was undoubtedly the notion held by the immigrants that they wouldn't have to suffer for whatever conflicts other Asian ethnic groups faced. Many of them found out however that just because they were Chinese didn't mean that anger towards the Japanese Pear Harbor incident wouldn't affect them. This idea took a profound turn when a Chinese man, Vincent Chin was murdered by men frustrated about the importation of Japanese cars in the 80's. Empowerment groups have been around at least since then, coming together with the realization that non-Asian Americans do not distinguish between individual ethnic groups, but by color of skin (the U.S. being a color coded nation). Certain ethnic derogatory words originally intended for a specific Asian ethnic group are often aimed at other Asian ethnic groups (probably often due to the aggressor not knowing the difference). So there's more of an Asian racial uniting taking place in America, and even to some degree oversees due to more information available on the internet.