Margaret Sanger was against abortion?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:09:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Wow, I never realized this.

"While there are cases where even the law recognizes an abortion as justifiable if recommended by a physician, I assert that the hundreds of thousands of abortions performed in America each year are a disgrace to civilization." [1]

"To each group we explained what contraception was; that abortion was the wrong way"no matter how early it was performed it was taking life; that contraception was the better way, the safer way"it took a little time, a little trouble, but was well worth while in the long run, because life had not yet begun." [2]

What do you guys think?

[1]Margaret Sanger (1920). "Contraceptives or Abortion?". Woman and the New Race.
[2]Sanger, Margaret (1938). Margaret Sanger, An Autobiography. New York: W. W. Norton. pp. 217.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
seefarther
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 8:26:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/26/2014 10:09:02 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
Wow, I never realized this.

"While there are cases where even the law recognizes an abortion as justifiable if recommended by a physician, I assert that the hundreds of thousands of abortions performed in America each year are a disgrace to civilization." [1]

"To each group we explained what contraception was; that abortion was the wrong way"no matter how early it was performed it was taking life; that contraception was the better way, the safer way"it took a little time, a little trouble, but was well worth while in the long run, because life had not yet begun." [2]

What do you guys think?

[1]Margaret Sanger (1920). "Contraceptives or Abortion?". Woman and the New Race.
[2]Sanger, Margaret (1938). Margaret Sanger, An Autobiography. New York: W. W. Norton. pp. 217.

The first quote is taken somewhat out of context. Her commentary in that publication is largely concerned with the medical safety of the mother. She noted that wealthier women had a higher chance of better medical outcomes than poorer women but that survival was a concern for all women seeking abortions. She far prefers contraception to abortion in that paper, certainly as a measure of birth control.

If Margaret Sanger were asked the same question today given our medical circumstances, she might have given a different answer, though I'm sure she would again advocate for contraception over abortion, a position that is still, unfortunately, apt today.

The difficult choice is when contraception doesn't work. What does a woman do when she finds herself pregnant against her preference and in spite of taking preventive steps? As a society, do we still force her to complete the pregnancy? If so, what support do we give her? Or will we take the Puritanical view that this is God's punishment? Not a great way to view the process of creating human life; nor is it a positive way to look at the child who results from that stigma.

What's more, there's no "punishment" for the male involved, though he is as responsible as the female for the pregnancy. There's no stigma for him, no physical risks or consequences.
SeeFarther