Jump to topic:

Simple survey for personal research

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 2:58:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm trying to find correlation between student financial standing and the student's respective GPA during undergraduate studies (college studies). I'd like this survey to give me an idea of how students would perform under a freer (less costly) educational system (in the USA). The assumption behind this study is that students who are financially independent (those who have saved/worked/or will work to pay off college tuition) will perform better in school than those who are financially dependent (those whose parents/guardians pay for college tuition).
The other assumed outcome would be the reverse: financially independent students perform worse than those that are financially dependent.
Lol, I guess you could say that the first assumption is the alternative and the second is the null hypothesis.

My intention for this study is to give myself a rough understanding of whether a freer higher education system will have stronger long-term benefits for society (income, productivity, etc) than a fully private educational system (which is the current state of things).
Basically, will freer higher education provide an aggregate positive economic effect or no? ? My underlying assumptions are that students who have to pay for their college tuition have a higher incentive to do well in college in order to successfully pay off their debt, and also assumes that those who personally invest in their own education have clearer objectives than those who are sent off to college for free (except those who receive full rides). It also assumes that students paying tuition - at any level - have higher incentive to do well in school (shown by GPA) than those who are fully financially dependent.

In order to answer these questions, I have so far only come up with five questions for this survey:
1. Sex?
2. GPA (4.0 scale)?
3. Financial standing (are you (the student) primarily responsible for payment of your college tuition)?
4. If you are dependent: would you start college if you were financially independent (you had to pay tuition yourself)?
5. Follow-up to question 4: do you think you would do better or worse (GPA-wise) as an independent student?

What would some other questions be that could help strengthen this survey?

Thanks!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 7:54:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 2:58:01 PM, ben2974 wrote:
I'm trying to find correlation between student financial standing and the student's respective GPA during undergraduate studies (college studies).

I'm sure there's literature on this already published, but if you're really trying to set up a study, you need to not tell your subjects what you're trying to find out.

I'd like this survey to give me an idea of how students would perform under a freer (less costly) educational system (in the USA).

Hmmm... I think you're using "free" to mean two things... which, if I was grading your research proposal, might drop you half a letter grade.

The assumption behind this study is that students who are financially independent (those who have saved/worked/or will work to pay off college tuition) will perform better in school than those who are financially dependent (those whose parents/guardians pay for college tuition).

I think that if you actually performed a study on this, you'd find that the exact opposite were true as the dominating factor behind college drop out rates is insufficient financial resources.

The other assumed outcome would be the reverse: financially independent students perform worse than those that are financially dependent.

I think you're going to be better off trying to figure out whether students do better in college if they work their way through, or if not.

Lol, I guess you could say that the first assumption is the alternative and the second is the null hypothesis.

My intention for this study is to give myself a rough understanding of whether a freer higher education system will have stronger long-term benefits for society (income, productivity, etc) than a fully private educational system (which is the current state of things).

Look at Western Europe.

Basically, will freer higher education provide an aggregate positive economic effect or no? ? My underlying assumptions are that students who have to pay for their college tuition have a higher incentive to do well in college in order to successfully pay off their debt, and also assumes that those who personally invest in their own education have clearer objectives than those who are sent off to college for free (except those who receive full rides). It also assumes that students paying tuition - at any level - have higher incentive to do well in school (shown by GPA) than those who are fully financially dependent.

You should study the European higher educational model.

In order to answer these questions, I have so far only come up with five questions for this survey:
1. Sex?
2. GPA (4.0 scale)?
3. Financial standing (are you (the student) primarily responsible for payment of your college tuition)?
4. If you are dependent: would you start college if you were financially independent (you had to pay tuition yourself)?
5. Follow-up to question 4: do you think you would do better or worse (GPA-wise) as an independent student?

What would some other questions be that could help strengthen this survey?

Thanks!
Tsar of DDO