Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Newborn Circumcision

SkepticalStardust
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 10:40:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
How do you feel about circumcising newborns? Do you feel like it's a decision that should be made by the individual receiving the operation once they're of an appropriate age to make such a decision? Do you feel as though parents should have the final say? I'm circumcised myself and have no complaints about it, since I live in a time and place where it's more common to be circumcised than not, but I strongly believe that it should be the decision of the individual receiving the operation.
Thoughts? Rants? Angry insults?
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:25:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 10:40:48 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
How do you feel about circumcising newborns? Do you feel like it's a decision that should be made by the individual receiving the operation once they're of an appropriate age to make such a decision? Do you feel as though parents should have the final say? I'm circumcised myself and have no complaints about it, since I live in a time and place where it's more common to be circumcised than not, but I strongly believe that it should be the decision of the individual receiving the operation.
Thoughts? Rants? Angry insults?

Agree. Given the # of nerve endings on the foreskin and the fact that it's absence makes intercourse (without artificial lubricant) often painful for women (if done for an extended duration), I think people should get to choose whether they want it lopped off. Most adults who get the procedure ultimately regret it, which shows the decision most people would likely make if given the choice.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 4:54:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 10:40:48 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
How do you feel about circumcising newborns? Do you feel like it's a decision that should be made by the individual receiving the operation once they're of an appropriate age to make such a decision? Do you feel as though parents should have the final say? I'm circumcised myself and have no complaints about it, since I live in a time and place where it's more common to be circumcised than not, but I strongly believe that it should be the decision of the individual receiving the operation.
Thoughts? Rants? Angry insults?

Obviously, no infant has ever wanted to be circumcised. Infants are strapped to a table, given no anesthetics, and their penises are mutulated for about 10 minutes while they screem in agony. You say you have no complaints about it but that wasn't always true. It should go without saying that parents don't have the right to torture their children for the sake a religious tradition or whatever.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
SkepticalStardust
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 12:36:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 4:54:11 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/6/2014 10:40:48 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
How do you feel about circumcising newborns? Do you feel like it's a decision that should be made by the individual receiving the operation once they're of an appropriate age to make such a decision? Do you feel as though parents should have the final say? I'm circumcised myself and have no complaints about it, since I live in a time and place where it's more common to be circumcised than not, but I strongly believe that it should be the decision of the individual receiving the operation.
Thoughts? Rants? Angry insults?

Obviously, no infant has ever wanted to be circumcised. Infants are strapped to a table, given no anesthetics, and their penises are mutulated for about 10 minutes while they screem in agony. You say you have no complaints about it but that wasn't always true. It should go without saying that parents don't have the right to torture their children for the sake a religious tradition or whatever.

When I say I have no complaints, I mean that I don't regret the decision that was made for me. Most males where I live are circumcised and I'd prefer to not be the guy with a strange(relative to my societies norm) looking penis. I'd prefer that circumcision weren't practiced at all, but if I have to live in a society where most men are circumcised, then I'd prefer to fit in. However, if I hadn't been circumcised at birth, I wouldn't get circumcised now.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 11:33:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 12:36:18 AM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
At 5/7/2014 4:54:11 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/6/2014 10:40:48 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
How do you feel about circumcising newborns? Do you feel like it's a decision that should be made by the individual receiving the operation once they're of an appropriate age to make such a decision? Do you feel as though parents should have the final say? I'm circumcised myself and have no complaints about it, since I live in a time and place where it's more common to be circumcised than not, but I strongly believe that it should be the decision of the individual receiving the operation.
Thoughts? Rants? Angry insults?

Obviously, no infant has ever wanted to be circumcised. Infants are strapped to a table, given no anesthetics, and their penises are mutulated for about 10 minutes while they screem in agony. You say you have no complaints about it but that wasn't always true. It should go without saying that parents don't have the right to torture their children for the sake a religious tradition or whatever.

When I say I have no complaints, I mean that I don't regret the decision that was made for me. Most males where I live are circumcised and I'd prefer to not be the guy with a strange(relative to my societies norm) looking penis. I'd prefer that circumcision weren't practiced at all, but if I have to live in a society where most men are circumcised, then I'd prefer to fit in. However, if I hadn't been circumcised at birth, I wouldn't get circumcised now.

Why is that important to you? I mean, most people I know have never even seen my penis. Is there not something shameful about having body parts that bare the mark of parental abuse?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
SkepticalStardust
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:56:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 11:33:16 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/9/2014 12:36:18 AM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
At 5/7/2014 4:54:11 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/6/2014 10:40:48 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
How do you feel about circumcising newborns? Do you feel like it's a decision that should be made by the individual receiving the operation once they're of an appropriate age to make such a decision? Do you feel as though parents should have the final say? I'm circumcised myself and have no complaints about it, since I live in a time and place where it's more common to be circumcised than not, but I strongly believe that it should be the decision of the individual receiving the operation.
Thoughts? Rants? Angry insults?

Obviously, no infant has ever wanted to be circumcised. Infants are strapped to a table, given no anesthetics, and their penises are mutulated for about 10 minutes while they screem in agony. You say you have no complaints about it but that wasn't always true. It should go without saying that parents don't have the right to torture their children for the sake a religious tradition or whatever.

When I say I have no complaints, I mean that I don't regret the decision that was made for me. Most males where I live are circumcised and I'd prefer to not be the guy with a strange(relative to my societies norm) looking penis. I'd prefer that circumcision weren't practiced at all, but if I have to live in a society where most men are circumcised, then I'd prefer to fit in. However, if I hadn't been circumcised at birth, I wouldn't get circumcised now.

Why is that important to you? I mean, most people I know have never even seen my penis. Is there not something shameful about having body parts that bare the mark of parental abuse?

It's not as important to me as I think you think it is. As I said, if I hadn't been circumcised at birth, I wouldn't get circumcised now. In my opinion, circumcision is similar to a tribal marking.

I think it's wrong for adults to make the decision for their child, but since I'm living in a society where being circumcised is"normal" and most people don't have a problem with it, it doesn't bother me that I'm circumcised.

I think of it as similar to the scarification that some indigenous tribes practice. They're both pointless and strange when you think about it objectively, but they're part of the culture.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens